Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

How many rubs will one bull make?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

How many rubs will one bull make?

Postby mtnmuzzy » 10 15, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Hunted a five mile long overgrown logging road with four or five one mile spurs and counted close to 100 fresh rubs.
mtnmuzzy

Re: How many rubs will one bull make?

Postby MT_Nate » 10 16, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Good question. I discovered an area last week that in a ~2- to 3-acre area I counted upwards of 50 rubs...definitely all elk...broken branches and scrapes on 4"+ diameter trees up to 10 feet overhead, and the trees were hammered from what appeared to be multiple visits. The rubs were all likely 1- to 2-weeks old, and I was wishing I'd found the spot during the final week of September.

The area I was in isn't known for its large numbers of elk, so I have the same question. I'm thinking of heading back there for rifle opener on Saturday though...plenty of fresh scat around as well.
MT_Nate

Postby Swede » 10 16, 2012 •  [Post 3]

A number of years ago I hunted an area that had only one bull in it that I knew of. After I killed him, there was no more fresh elk sign in that area, which was further confirmation to my one bull observation. That bull had made rubs all along a trail to his water hole, and rubs around his bedding area. I did not count them, but would guess he made 20-30 rubs total before he was shot on September 6th. Those rubs and his well used trail led to his demise more than anything else. I saw where I needed to wait and shot him at the water hole.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby MT_Nate » 10 16, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Thanks for the response Swede. In some ways I wish your experience said there were tons of bulls in the area, but it makes sense. Along a well used route, the scat and the rubs will stack up over time, even if it is only for a few weeks.
MT_Nate

Postby mtnmuzzy » 10 16, 2012 •  [Post 5]

This area was void of fresh scat but tons of old scat. I did not only stay on the obvious logging roads and spurs, I also ventured into the brush along game trails. Weather was hot and overly dry, the only tracks were obvious scuff marks on the ground. Found a good number of beds too and a few wallows. I too was hoping to hear that all the rubs were from many bulls. I am going to put some cameras in here next year, I cannot get into the area until late July due to the snow. The area just seemed to hold numerous animals.
mtnmuzzy

Postby T/H » 10 16, 2012 •  [Post 6]

mtnmuzzy wrote:Hunted a five mile long overgrown logging road with four or five one mile spurs and counted close to 100 fresh rubs.

i'd keep that area as an option on my next hunt :)
T/H

Postby mtnmuzzy » 10 16, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Unfortunately it is only open for 7 days (Oct 6 - 12) for muzzy. A 3 point or better unit. Modern will be in there later and for 2 weeks. Just can't bring myself to hunt in the war zone of modern. Going to keep scouting and exploring as much as possible before the snow keeps me out. Thinking about breaking in to grids to stay focused during scouting.
mtnmuzzy

Postby one_elk » 10 20, 2012 •  [Post 8]

100 rubs in one area is indeed a lot and elk tend to be heard animals so my guess would be that there would be multiple bulls in the area, especially during the rut I would find it hard to believe that a bull would to isolate himself from other bulls even if he were the biggest badest bull who had numerous cows one would think there were satellite bulls around and if it was the wimpiest bull you wouldn’t think he would be rubbing that much. I would bet on multiple bulls and keep the spot in mind for future hunts even if they are a few years out….that some major rubbing going on
one_elk

Postby MT_Nate » 10 22, 2012 •  [Post 9]

My daughter and I hunted both days of Montana rifle opener in the area I discussed earlier. We hunted a larger area around the initial 2-3 acre area that I found the high concentration of rubs. The area hammered by rubs expanded from 3 acres to about 300 acres. She and I quit counting rubs after about 150...they just never stopped...when it was all said in done, the final number had to be in the low-to-mid 200's. That in combination with the incredible amount of scat present allowed me to determine that this had to be the work of more than just one bull. I am super tickled to have found this area...it took quite a bit of imagination to identify and get to, and has little to no sign of other hunter activity. Just wished I would have discovered it a month ago when these big boys were going crazy.

We got into some elk on opening day on the fringes of the area with an interested bull come into some light cow calls, but fickle winds, crunchy dry twigs, and thick brush made a shot opportunity difficult..they took off. Waiting for a little snow and consistent wind to get out there track them down. Looking forward to my daughter having a shot at taking a mature bull this year!

Image Image
MT_Nate