Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Diaphragm Calls

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Diaphragm Calls

Postby dotman » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 1]

So this is my first year really giving this a go, Paul suggested a single latex reed well I think I blew thru it right away. I tried for the past two months on it only to get a horrible sound, something was on deaths bed kind of sound. Today on my drive home I put my double latex call in and immediately had a good seal and the sound was 50% better.

Super excited, now to keep practicing away. Currently i'm getting too much saliva and hell from my wife. Will the extra saliva go away with more practice? I alrwady know there is nothing I can do about the hell my wife is giving me :)

Tonight I was practicing my locator bugles with the lil chuckler xtr and called in 2 neighbors, a dog and an embaraced wife. So even though it sounded bad it worked:)
dotman

Re: Diaphragm Calls

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Just a matter of practice Tim. It'll come around with lotsa practice. Come out to WA for a few days and Slim and I will have you rocking your elk sounds within a few days :).. The sounds I heard you make this evening weren't too bad... RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 13, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Too much tongue pressure!! Tim, please go watch the Video Clip I shared on Mouth Reed use in the ElkNut Video Forum! It's a few minutes of instruction that should really help you. If you watched it already watch it again! (grin) The instruction is there to help avoid miss use of a mouth reed, if you are blowing them out that easily you need to make an adjustment or two! Thanks!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby dotman » 06 13, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Thanks Paul, I have watched the video a few times and it helps a ton to take a sec and rewatch when you are getting frustrated :) Truthfully from when we talked Friday to yestetday I am 100% better. For once I feel i'll possibly have more then just a reed call. Right now i'm just practicing control and consistent mouth placement. On my morning drive I already noticed an improvememt from last night. :)
dotman

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 13, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Tim, awesome!!! Way to hang in there & be persistent! It will pay off in the long run partner, you'll be glad you went through the effort. Good Luck & keep us posted!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby eltaco » 06 13, 2012 •  [Post 6]

My first season of calling proficiency was absolutely life changing. Stick with it, you'll soon find out how your time spent can pay off in the field. Elk calling COMPLETELY changed elk hunting for me.... and I predict you'll be well pleased with its effectiveness this Fall!
eltaco

Postby mongopino915 » 06 13, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Practice a lot and also try several different types/brands of diaphragm. Depending on your tongue pressure and air volume, some diaphragms may not work as well as others.

Every chance I get the house to myself (when the wife/kids are away), it elk bugling time. A diaphragm is always in the pocket and a grunt tube is always in the car, practicing on the way to work and on the way home from work.

Elk calling is just like playing music. The more time/effort you put in, the better you will sound.

Just remember, everyone sound you send out has a meaning to you and the elk. Paul has already done the homework to make this easy for everyone.

Good Luck.
mongopino915