Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

one year to late

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

one year to late

Postby kunas » 10 14, 2012 •  [Post 1]

i found this site about 1 yr to late, im heading out to CO to hunt unit 23 during 2nd rifle for elk, first trip out in my life. I have a bull tag as well as a cow tag, ive tried to read as much as possible but still dont know what to expect. We are doing a DIY hunt, we are camping in a tent for the week. One of my biggest fears is people jacking with our camp while we are out hunting, is this something i should worry about or is it pretty rare. Im gonna be toting my weatherby mk5 ultralight in 300 roy slinging a 165 tsx. We are leaving Va on Tues eve the 16th, should give us 2 days before season starts to set up camp, get used to the thin air, shoot rifles ect. Anywho good luck to everyone and be safe Ron
kunas

First Name: Ron
Last Name: Dolly

Re: one year to late

Postby >>>---WW----> » 10 14, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Guess it could happen, but it is very, very,VERY rare that another hunter would ever mess with your stuff. It is kind of the code of the west. Besides, hunters have guns and you never know if one of the owners of the camp is within rifle range? LOL! Serously though, You can feel 99.999% sure that your belongings will be safe while you are out hunting.

And by the way, good luck on your fist trip to Colorado. Once you get into these mountains, you'll be hooked for life.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 14, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I agree with WW. It's always a possibility but I've never had anything taken from my base camp or had my truck or trailer bothered at a trailhead in MT, WA, or ID. I'm sure your gear and camp will be fine. Best of luck to you on your adventure.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 10 14, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I have never had anything stolen from my base in about forty years of hunting camps. Sometimes clown friends can be ingenious in their mischief, but it is all there in good shape when you get it out of the trees or whereever they put it.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby dreamhunter » 10 14, 2012 •  [Post 5]

you shouldn't have any worries,We have been going out to Colorado for around 6 yrs + and put up our tent have a couple trucks with a lot of stuff plus everything in the tent and then everything outside of the tent and haven't ever had anybody mess with it.The people of Colorado are good people.They are just as interested in getting their elk as you are.So they hunt and leave other peoples property alone, and we do as well.Good luck
dreamhunter

First Name: Holly
Last Name: Paugh

Postby kunas » 10 15, 2012 •  [Post 6]

thats good to hear, this will for sure be an interesting trip out. I would like to see the weather a little colder but ill take what ever i can just to get out there, leaving here in 33hrs from now cant wait :D thanks Ron
kunas

Postby Vanish » 10 15, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Besides, this site hasn't even been around for a year! :D
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby kunas » 10 16, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Vanish wrote:Besides, this site hasn't even been around for a year! :D

well good then i havent missed as much , leaving in 4hr 19minutes and 11 seconds for the 30 hour drive
kunas

Postby pointysticks » 10 16, 2012 •  [Post 9]

good luck!!

not one year late,, but "rest of your life early"!!

i have a lot to learn too..for the most part, a man's campsite is sacred. nobody has messed with my stuff. and i have camped south of tuscon..where there is illegal traffic. i leave out lots of water, so they dont raid my supply. i wont deny a thirsty man water.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Magic » 10 16, 2012 •  [Post 10]

I wish you the best on your hunt. I have never had anything bothered or stolen from a campsite.

I leave in 7 hours.
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D

Postby kunas » 10 17, 2012 •  [Post 11]

90 mile from Kansas driving n rain now wound up tighter than a bulls Ass
kunas