Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

VPA or Viper Trick?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

VPA or Viper Trick?

Postby Firemedicbkelly » 10 09, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Looking for opinions on both heads. Trying to make a decision which one i am going to try this year. Would like to hear from anyone who shoots these heads and how they perform, fly etc. I have read some good reviews on both and looking for some Elknuts opinions.
Firemedicbkelly

First Name: Blake
Last Name: Kelly

Re: VPA or Viper Trick?

Postby ElkNut1 » 10 10, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Viper Trick in the 125grn! I had the VPA 125grn & just didn't like the looks of it at all, I gave them away! I'm sure they are a good stout head but couldn't get them past my eyes! (grin) Eye appeal is as important as their results to me!

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Firemedicbkelly » 10 10, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Thanks Paul, I definitely agree with you on the eye appeal. It looks like you also had some great results with the viper tricks this year. Do they fly like field points as advertised? I know tuning plays a major role but I want a head that doesn't require a lot of setup changes.
Firemedicbkelly

Postby ElkNut1 » 10 10, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I thought the Tricks did very well! Yes, tuning is needed, outside of that the flew awesome!!! My son shot the Tricks with his other broadheads & had zero issues! I will be shooting the Viper Tricks in the upcoming year, they were that impressive!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Firemedicbkelly » 10 12, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Thanks Paul I am looking forward to trying those viper tricks out. Hopefully next season I will be able to give an opinion on elk performance!
Firemedicbkelly

Postby tracker12 » 10 12, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Looks are not everything. I would not give up on the VPA's. Lot's of great reviews on them out there. They do seem to be more popular with the Trad guys that use them a lot for Big game especially in Afica. I bough a pack to try this year on a few whitetails. So far one doe was taken and they performed well. I also use the ST 100's and I can shoot both together with no change in POI.
tracker12

Postby LONEBULL » 10 12, 2012 •  [Post 7]

These are the exact 2 heads that I'm looking at changing to as well so I'm very interested in this as well. Great minds think a like!!
LONEBULL

Postby ElkNut1 » 10 13, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Ahh, I respectfully disagree! Looks ARE everything! The main reason I do not like the 125grn VAP look is it's extremely short in length for the wide angle the blades support. It looks aerodynamically off! It's appearance alone makes me frown, I just didn't like it! This doesn't mean it doesn't work or that it won't fly OK, it just means I would lack confidence in its ability. Lots of real quality heads out there to shoot without settling on one you really don't care for! I also have the VAP 175grn heads (screw-on) Those bad boys are sweet!!! Their appearance is well balanced & will fly & hit with some serious destruction! But for an all around setup for deer & elk you will be hard pressed to beat the Viper Trick!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby LONEBULL » 10 13, 2012 •  [Post 9]

I agree with Paul. If you don't have confidence in what you're shooting then all is lost. That's my problem right now. I've shot a very well known head for some time now, never got a good blood trail with it and I mean never then after this season of horrible luck with it my confidence with it is shot to you know where. It's time for a change for me.
LONEBULL