Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Now This Is Getting It Done!!!!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Now This Is Getting It Done!!!!

Postby ElkNut1 » 10 09, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Guys & Gals, this was sent to me this morning, I receive many of similar ones throughout the year but thought I'd share this one because it just felt right!! This is how you "Get Aggressive" & take it to the elk, be creative when needed & don't feel the elk have to do all the work & come to you, GO TO THEM!!!! This is how we in the ElkNut Crew approach much of our elk hunting when the time is right. When bulls bugle as this, get aggressive!!! Please read this guys account!

ElkNut1

my big 6x7 bull
Message: Hello Paul and Paul, A massive thanks to you guys and your videos. I've been elk hunting for 10 seasons now. I got my first bull last year, a nice 6x7 meatbull. We worked him for an hour and a half. My buddy was the angry herd bull and i was the horny cow headed for the bull. I took him at 15 yards. My buddy finally told me how he was so successful with getting on bulls....your videos. Well i studied your vids quite intensely over the last year and what a huge advantage you have given me in the bush. I went to the East Koot not far from Cranbroo for Sept 17-27. In those 10 days (20 hunts) i was on elk 17/20 times. F--k--g gong show. I feel like you have made me an elk whisperer LOL. I now know what they are saying, what they want to hear and what they expect to hear in the bush. I got inside 15 yards of 5 different bulls. Less than 50 yards of about 6 more. I had more action this season than in the past 9 seasons combined. SOOOOOOO much fun! I had bulls screaming at me for lovins and screaming at me cuz they wanted to tear my head off. I wish i could type better to tell the amazing action i got into. Anyway I took down a monster 6x7 bull first morning. He gave us a locater bugle in the first 5 mins. Jim figured he was close, but i thought his call carried across a valley. Jim stayed and i headed towards him. i travelled about 300 yards and called a bunch. He gave me another locater bugle and i was right, about anohter 250 yards to go. I did some rubs and chuckles along the way as well as my cow calls and it got him just annoyed enough. I got to about 75 yards of where i thought he was and i got very agressive with my cow calls...( as you taght me..."here i am, you called me, where are ya?') Well he gave me a huge scream and i saw the christmas trees on his head come storming up the hill at me. He stopped at 60 yards away behind a tree and tried to wind me. I didnt have much more room before he would have picked up my scent, so i gave him one lil cow call and he stepped out another 10 yards closer and i let him have it. He's a beauty! Huge royals a big 13" bonus raker off the back of his left main beam. The thickness of his beams arounf his royals and 5ths is just nuts. He's an awesome bull. Thank you guys so much for the skills you have given me to close the deal. For years I was getting so close, but you guys have made the difference for me to seal the deal. I would love to send you guys some pics. Or even tell you some amazing stories of the hunt over the phone. Thanks again T.J.
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Re: Now This Is Getting It Done!!!!

Postby Swede » 10 09, 2012 •  [Post 2]

T.J. is correct. Elknut's advice is good for just a few yards. Those few yards are the difference between a hangup or a dead bull.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby pointysticks » 10 09, 2012 •  [Post 3]

paul..do you giftwrap?:D this would be a great gift for my brother.

he loves this type of research!!
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby elkoholic » 10 14, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Paul,
Thanks for sharing that story. He is speaking nothing but the truth, your wealth of knowledge and your kindness of sharing it. It is just flat out awesome!! I believe with your help, hardwork and dedication my hunting expeditions will only get better. I can't thank you enough my friend.
elkoholic

First Name: Chewy
Last Name: Swatzell

Postby T/H » 10 15, 2012 •  [Post 5]

sounds like a great hunt! do you have a pic?
T/H

Postby ElkNut1 » 10 16, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Yes, it was a great hunt for this guy, mostly because of his aggressive action/tactics employed. I posted this because most hunters are not aggressive enough & this guy really describes well his mindset & success in doing so!

I asked him to send a photo to us, I'm awaiting it?

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul