Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Three Bugles in a row?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Three Bugles in a row?

Postby N5J » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 1]

First let me say we are still trying to figure out this elk stuff but when they say be ready when you elk call be ready! True...so true. This past season we tried Paul's three bugle sequence (where you bugle 3 times in a row wait 1 minutes then then do it again) man what an eye opening experience. Be ready if you try this! Here is what happened to us......

Date Sept 3, 2011: We had been at our location since sun up doing a few locator bugles and a few cow calling sequences...nothing. Around 0900 getting discouraged nothing happening...quiet! My buddy said lets try the three bugle sequence...he digs out his bugle and lets it rip...I'm laughing at him thinking to myself this won't work nothing in this draw...BOY was I wrong! :D It wasn't 5 minutes when this lone cow came charging in and stopped at 60 yards. Shocked and unprepared...she caught movement...barked and left. We learned a valuable lesson that day, if you make any calls be ready!!

Has anyone else used this? Lets here your stories...

N5J

James
N5J

First Name: J
Last Name: N

Re: Three Bugles in a row?

Postby Elktracker » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Im not sure I remember this 3 and 3 bugles where in the book or dvds is it talked about? Sounds like a close call and I agree always be ready! Had a bull jump me while eating a sandwich and I wasnt ready:( Kinda funny cause paul tells a similar story in one of his videos and I did it anyway lol

Josh
Elktracker

Postby N5J » 06 13, 2012 •  [Post 3]

My buddy or I can't remember if it was in the book or videos. I think it was on a video but not sure. Another time this was used was they were on trail and a spike came running in. He starts out with a long locator bugle, then 3/4 bugle, then a 1/2 bugle all right after the other...waits 1 minute then repeats the process then shuts up. He doesn't use it all the time, only if we don't hear or get any response for sometime. I thinks it peeks curiosity more than anything. Worked two times in early part of the season...each time elk came in silent...not a peep.

N5J

James
N5J

First Name: J
Last Name: N

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 13, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Good stuff guys! Don't you wonder how many times we call from a spot wait a couple minutes & move on then 10-15min later an elk shows right there & we're long gone! (grin) You know it happens a lot!

The 3 bugle sequence I believe you're referring too is setting up a bull that responded back after your first location bugle? Once he hears you from a certain spot for several minutes because you've called randomly from there then he's apt to feel you are not coming his way to intercept any of his cows providing you are dealing with a herd bull? First you need to establish to the best of your ability what type of bull he most likely is by his response?

Regardless of the way one wants to use this method , (I like creativity as the thread starter did) we need to always be alert, my son & I could share tons of stories where we've had elk coming in & were busted because we were sure nothing was around! (grin) Let your guard down & it's Whoops!!! Now a days we rarely take a break & not have an arrow nocked especially if we just called!

This year on those pre rut times I will be using the Slip System as a very light weight portable ground blind, I really feel this will conceal us during those quiet times using blind/ calling setups!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Three Bugles in a row?

Postby iRem » 06 13, 2012 •  [Post 5]

When calling you must insure that you stay put and wait it out once you make a call, I suggest waiting 20-30 mins after each call prior to leaving the area. You'll know If the Elk are going to talk to you or not, if they are tight lip stay put! If you call and move you are defeeting the purpose of hunting elk! if the Elk are talking to you then you can go after them to close the distance!! Many times I stood up and had elk right behind me after doing all of this and still got busted!! The joy of the hunt!
iRem

Postby tracker12 » 06 13, 2012 •  [Post 6]

It reminds me of turkey calling. A buddy and I love to run and gun fror birds. A few years ago we finally woke up to the fact that several times we would call move on then 5 minutes later this gobbler would be sounding off from where we just left. We now have a system that has worked veery well for us. We start calling one area and when we had enough one guy moves off to the new location while the other stays put until the other guy gets set up. We continue to leep frog like this during the day. It is funs gives each guy a chance to call and over the last few years we have had the guy that stays behind kill several birds.
tracker12

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 13, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Tracker, I like the way you think!! Nice work!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Three Bugles in a row?

Postby iRem » 06 14, 2012 •  [Post 8]

ElkNut1 wrote:Tracker, I like the way you think!! Nice work!!

ElkNut1

Yeah X2
May just have to try that this year! But I may be the only one calling, so it may be my buddy that finally gets one this year! That would be cool!
iRem

Postby Stiknstring » 08 06, 2012 •  [Post 9]

I like this idea !
The Elk I am hunting (Roosevelt) always seem to take more time getting to me, compaired to when I hunted Rockies.
I usually wait at least 1/2 hour, but I am usually in "search mode" until I get a response (vocal)
cannot count the number of times I have let my guard down and been caught unprepared.
Or found fresh tracks on top of my own bootprints.
Because I am taking non-calling clients (or inexperienced callers) I have a good spot to try this out,
I have been thinking of how to approach a certain drainage that always holds Elk, but almost impossible to get into without being busted.
I will try having one client stay on the main trail in (after calling) while I circle around to the head of the draw, and hope one of the critters comes to check the backtrail.
Stiknstring

First Name: Michael
Last Name: Blake