Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk hunting partners

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk hunting partners

Postby Elktracker » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 1]

So I have learned through the years that good Elk hunting partners are hard to come by but when you get a good one who knows how to call and is willing to put in the work and hunt as hard as you its golden!

Do you hunt with a partner or solo and what are your thoughts on the subject of hunting partners or if you hunt solo?
Elktracker

Re: Elk hunting partners

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I like to team hunt with no more than 3 guys. Very important that the entire team knows how to call. I've had several hunting seasons being the only caller which wasn't fun. Very important to share calling responsibilities! My 2-cents.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby elkchaser503 » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 3]

i have 2 good friends i hunt with but i really prefer to hunt solo.
elkchaser503

Postby sockeye » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I agree, finding a dedicated TRUE hunting partner is very hard to find, one that shares the passion, tactics and does not want to look at a drainage and thinks (i am not shooting anything down there, it will be a pain to get out) Oh I hate that expecially after they talk a big game (no pun intended). I have had two really good dedicated hunting partners one lives in the same town as I, we hunt every 2-3 years together. The other is my father in law, whom told me If I was going to be married to his daughter I was going to learn to archery hunt elk. I did, he taught me, and twenty years later my wife and I are still together and he and I are hunting again this year together (we live 1200 miles apart now so it is not so easy anymore). Other than that I do it by myself.
sockeye

First Name: Clint
Last Name: Scott

Postby Wyo67 » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Definately no fun being the only caller. When you've got a shooter and one (or two) guys calling behind you I think it helps the shooter keep an eye out on that satellite bull or lead cow that's trying to sneak in and see what going on. Plus, tracking and skinning is a lot easier with help.
Wyo67

Postby ctdad » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 6]

My partner lives 600 miles from me but we talk, email or text daily and at least five or more times a week, we are discussing elk. We send each other practice calls and help each other. We discuss scenarios from previous hunts and how we could have approached them differently. We discuss our conditioning and remind each other to keep going and be ready to climb that mountain again and again and again. It is great sharing the entire experience with someone, not just the hunt. Still hunt solo some and just share camp, but when it is time to go as a pair, I can always count on him and vice versa.
ctdad

Postby bowhunterty » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Usually camp in a small group. No more then three or four guys. But I hunt the elk woods solo. I like the bodies to help pack. Over the years had the best luck by myself, just haven't found the right hunting partner. This year tho, my girlfriend wants to come along. Teaching her to do some calling now. Well at least cow calls.
bowhunterty

First Name: Ty
Last Name: Reed

Postby Les Welch » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Good partners are extremely hard to find. Just because they are a good friend doesn't mean they will be a good hunting partner. Different people hunt different ways, have different meanings of what a hunt is, and different goals. If you find someone you work well with, awesome, if not solo is good to. I've done both, and like both.
Les Welch

Postby westaner » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Its tough to find a great hunting partner with same hunting style. I'm more aggressive with my elk hunting style sneaking in close while some of my buddies wont get in the fight and just call from a distance and usually just call in satellites never the herd bull. I'd pull my hair out if I just sat back!
westaner

First Name: K.C.

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 10]

ctdad wrote:My partner lives 600 miles from me but we talk, email or text daily and at least five or more times a week, we are discussing elk. We send each other practice calls and help each other. We discuss scenarios from previous hunts and how we could have approached them differently. We discuss our conditioning and remind each other to keep going and be ready to climb that mountain again and again and again. It is great sharing the entire experience with someone, not just the hunt. Still hunt solo some and just share camp, but when it is time to go as a pair, I can always count on him and vice versa.

Sounds like you've got a good elk partner ctdad.. Believe me, it's rare and hard to find. Trust me.... after "several years" of doing this, I still haven't found that one guy that is as dedicated as I am year in and year out. I've hunted with a lot of guys but it's really rare to find one guy that shares your passion, works on all the things you mentioned in the off season, dedicates himself to the pending hunt each and every year, and is in synch with you during the fall elk season. Good luck to both of you this fall.. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby The Doc » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 11]

i hunt alone, it sure is nice to have help and to help freinds pack meat out. but i prefer to call for myself when i have the tag. however once my bull is down it is fun to call for others {its way more relaxing, calm when i dont have a tag } i called one in for a friend , when the bull got to 35 yards i remember thinking "my job is complete" as in getting the bull in range. he made a great shot on it. there is nothing like loading the daypack up, heading out before daylight, hunting all day , then returning after dark, alone . and a personal observation . after about 3 days of not saying a word i always think my voice sounds funny when i first talk to someone. :D
The Doc
ElkNut Pro Staff

Postby Elksniper1 » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 12]

Kids are the best hunting partners there are. From before they can hunt but can keep up they make you realize all the little things In the woods that I always hurry past because there may be a bull on the other side . Took
My oldest last year for her first elk hunt she had a blast as did I. And amazingly enough my kids hunt with the same style as me so it really fits. Take your or anyone's kid who is interested hunting. I was truly amazed how much I take for granted after chasing elk for so many seasons.
Elksniper1

Postby dotman » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 13]

Very hard to find a good partner, only one I have had was my dad. I don't say this in a negative way but your style of hunting has to mesh or it just won't work.
dotman

Postby easeup » 06 17, 2012 •  [Post 14]

that perfect friend has never appeared for me. so I hunt alone most of the time.
Solo has its pros and cons.
easeup

Postby Elktracker » 06 17, 2012 •  [Post 15]

easeup wrote:that perfect friend has never appeared for me. so I hunt alone most of the time.

I agree easeup solo hunting does have its pros and cons, one thing I love about solo hunting is just being out in the Elk woods just me and the Elk. One thing I like about hunting with a partner is you have someone to share that memmory with at the end of the day.

hunting partners arent hard to find but its hard to find one you are compatible with!!

Josh
Elktracker

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 17, 2012 •  [Post 16]

Bottom line! two guys who are on the same page & both are good enough to callers to share the duty, they will get into more killable situations than the lone hunter. This is especially so on run & gun style elk hunting! That said, there's a lot of personal satisfaction to do it alone!! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Freebird134 » 06 17, 2012 •  [Post 17]

My elk hunting partner has probably seen fewer elk than most guys on here have killed. He's spent most his live in the east, and only been on 1 elk hunt :) Not that I'm an old pro by any means! But he's my best friend, and we are on the same page about most things in life--from music (he was the singer in my band), to booze, to ladies, and on and on. Half the fun of planning my hunting season is the texts and calls and emails we share. And, kill or no kill, there's nobody else I'd rather be alone with for 8 days in the middle of Idaho backcountry.

One day I'd like to go at this alone, and do a solo backcountry hunt. But I'm pretty happy with my super inexperienced partner :)
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby planebow » 06 17, 2012 •  [Post 18]

I am retired and my hunting partner still is a working man with only one week of vacation a year. I usually go set up camp and hunt for at least a week solo by myself before he shows up. Last year he broke a bone in his ankle the first morning he started hunting but stuck it out for the week.
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby realunlucky » 06 18, 2012 •  [Post 19]

My hunting partner is my brother in law. He is flying to Utah to be there for my le tag even though he can't hunt himself he is totally unselfish that trust pushes me even harder. Plus he has a farm where he grows white tails for my shooting pleasure come November
realunlucky

Postby BowElkDwn » 06 18, 2012 •  [Post 20]

My hunting partner has "some" experience but it still seems we learn something every year.. Keeps us coming back and lots to talk about all year. I wouldn't trade September for anything.
BowElkDwn
ElkNut Pro Staff

Postby Buckriser » 06 19, 2012 •  [Post 21]

My family and friends all camp together and hunt the same general areas. But when it comes to hunting together, Ive got my buddy I grew up with and have known since i was like 4 yrs old. (we're now 34) We know each other well and know how we each like to hunt and where. Most of the time when were hot on the trail of an elk, were constantly checking with each other about how we should approach and 9 out of 10 times were on the same page. Than if we get one down, one of us has begun boning out the elk while the other is contacting the rest of the group to help haul it out.
Buckriser

Last Name: Riser

Postby Swede » 06 19, 2012 •  [Post 22]

I usually tree stand hunt so I am by myself. I sometimes have pardners in camp, but not always. If I have an elk in the locker I enjoy calling for someone else. I definently like it if someone else is around when I get an elk, but I have taken care of a lot of em on my own.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby T/H » 06 24, 2012 •  [Post 23]

easeup wrote:that perfect friend has never appeared for me. so I hunt alone most of the time.

i agree Mr Man for all Seasons! this past January during my NM Mulie hunt a very good friend of mine tagged along and before i killed that small mulie i was ready to kill him. good friends do not always make good hunting partners. he was so fricken negative if i had to spend one more day out there with him it might have affected our friendship. it was that bad. and he wasn't even hunting he was just tagging along to see how bowhunters do it lol
T/H

Postby horseshoe » 06 24, 2012 •  [Post 24]

here's a new one for you, if your as long in the tooth as myself and the guys i'm going with this year, you have to figure out how to plan the hunt with the guys that can't hear very well! the rest of it is easy!
horseshoe

Postby BnB » 06 25, 2012 •  [Post 25]

Had the same hunting partner for 30 yrs. Did most outdoor things together. Scouting, fishing ,shooting 3-D, etc. In 2003 he up and died on me and I haven't found anyone with half of the passion for elk hunting that he had. I miss the scouting and planning part of the hunt with someone more than anything. Still get jazzed for the hunt but not the same. If you got a good partner your lucky. They're hard to find.
BnB

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 25, 2012 •  [Post 26]

Horseshoe, you nailed me right between the eyes with that one!!! (grin) I can't hear nearly like I could when I was 40 & earlier, many times my son will say, dad did you hear that one? I'd say no, where? When I'm hunting alone I'd hate to think how many bulls bugled that I never heard!! (grin)

BnB, that's a real bummer, sorry to hear about your partner! You are 100% spot on though on the value of a good hunting partner. Those of us that have them should never take that for granted, they are rare indeed! Thanks for the post!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby mongopino915 » 06 25, 2012 •  [Post 27]

My best friend is always there for me and hike his tail off through the elk wood with me but elk hunting is not his calling. He is there for me because he knows how much I love elk hunting. Although I am grateful and appreciate his effort, at the same time, he is really slowing me down. I don't think he understands my passion to kill one every year.

There are also other friends within our hunting camp and most of the time, I am in the back calling and helping others try to get their elk.

I would really prefer to hunt solo or with someone that puts as much effort off season and during season as I do. I am not selfish but have come to realize that I am not giving myself a genuine effort/fair chance at getting one.

I prefer to camp together, chat, share stories, and help each other pack out meat but love the challenge of hunting solo. I see myself slipping into that route in the near future.
mongopino915

Postby 6t4nova » 06 26, 2012 •  [Post 28]

I agree that finding a good hunting partner that you mesh with is a challenge. I haven't found a good partner to elk hunt with yet so I still go solo for now. If you find someone that you think would make a good hunting partner, I would suggest being in a stressful situation and seeing how they react. As stated above, it may turn out to be a negative reaction to everything and be someone you wouldn't want to spend time with in the wilderness.
6t4nova

Postby Stiknstring » 08 06, 2012 •  [Post 29]

I have had a few good "partners" over the years, but work, women, and whatnot have caused me to look for new ones.
I have friends I hunt with, but they are there more for camp than hunting, they will hunt with me on occasion, but need to "rest up" after following me for a day ! LOL
This year I will be hunting with future friends (clients) so will be a new experience for me, but I expect they will share my committment to hunting, as in my opinion, when you "pay to play" you are going to take it pretty serious, and if being tired and sore at the end of the day (and in the morning) is evident that you are making the effort, and exploring new areas, and finding elk is why you are there, we will all be happy.
But there also will be a 3D course, float tubes and fishing rods, good food and other guys at camp, while I am off hunting, if they need to get some R&R.
With 7 in camp, I will have no problem having company on my excusions.
Stiknstring

First Name: Michael
Last Name: Blake

Postby Bow4Elk » 08 06, 2012 •  [Post 30]

I guess I am really lucky with the hunting partners. :D We usually have 4 of us in camp and hunt in two's. Much easier to have a caller when trying to get that bull in. Plus when you get one down it is one trip to pack it out with 4 people. Two of my partners have bow hunted with me since 1980. Another one for 4 years and my son for 6 years. This year will be just 3 of us but that is also good because you can have two shooters in front of the caller. I am usually the caller cause I would just as soon see my son or the others succeed. It is still a rush. Get to see most of the action anyway. We all know how to call and have done so for each other. It is just fun to have friends in camp to share the special time of year with. So many memories have been made and that is what is important. Good luck to all. Only a short time left know.
Bow4Elk

First Name: Ron

Postby bullrub » 08 06, 2012 •  [Post 31]

My hunting partner is a great guy. I met him in 1980 when I called him in with some cow calling. It was so funny watching him put the sneak on me. When I showed myself I was laughing so hard I couldn't talk. I wouldn't of blamed him if he had shot me. But all he said was you got me good. We haved hunted together ever since then.
bullrub

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Winters

Postby mattstanton » 08 06, 2012 •  [Post 32]

I hunt solo for a couple reasons.

1. I love to call and do quite well with my calls and the people that I have hunted with in the past are call shy and that won't work for me.

2. I hunt from light to dark and like to bivy here and there and it is hard to find a partner that fits that type of hunting.

3. I like some time alone.

4. I like to take all the credit or blame for my success or failure.

I will say that if I could find a partner that shared my passion, drive and style of hunting, I would jump all over the chance to hunt with a good partner.
mattstanton

Postby cnelk » 08 06, 2012 •  [Post 33]

One of my buddies is an old friend from HS. We do as much damage now as we did 30 yrs ago when it comes to killing stuff...:)

When he decided to come out and try elk hunting, he asked what his chances were of getting an elk.
I told him if we hunt hard i would guarantee him a shot [ i know his shooting ability is awesome]

Well he lives 1200 miles away and has made the trip 4 times in the last few years
He has only shot 3 times at an elk... and has taken 3 elk...

He and I are a 'team'...

Last fall

cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Swede » 08 06, 2012 •  [Post 34]

Bowelkdown: You said your pardner had a "little exprience" and likes to talk hunting all year. Well, does he know anything or is he one of those permanent apprentices trying to figure out just about everything? LOL
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby elkohalic » 08 06, 2012 •  [Post 35]

When I measured for Pope and Young I scored a 217 inch whitetail for a guy, and after talking with him for a while and finding out he is also an elkohalic, growing up in Wyoming. I invited him on a hunt with me to my sacred place in Colorado, He has been a great friend and hunting pardner ever since. He is the kind of guy that doesn't care who gets the elk as long as we come home with meat. Unfortunately he is having knee surgery on Wednesday and wont be hunting this year, just praying it heals up fine.
elkohalic

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Hoskins

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 06, 2012 •  [Post 36]

elkohalic wrote:When I measured for Pope and Young I scored a 217 inch whitetail for a guy, and after talking with him for a while and finding out he is also an elkohalic, growing up in Wyoming. I invited him on a hunt with me to my sacred place in Colorado, He has been a great friend and hunting pardner ever since. He is the kind of guy that doesn't care who gets the elk as long as we come home with meat. Unfortunately he is having knee surgery on Wednesday and wont be hunting this year, just praying it heals up fine.

Hope your buddy has a successfull procedure and heals well elkohalic. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby elkohalic » 08 07, 2012 •  [Post 37]

Phantom16 wrote:
elkohalic wrote:When I measured for Pope and Young I scored a 217 inch whitetail for a guy, and after talking with him for a while and finding out he is also an elkohalic, growing up in Wyoming. I invited him on a hunt with me to my sacred place in Colorado, He has been a great friend and hunting pardner ever since. He is the kind of guy that doesn't care who gets the elk as long as we come home with meat. Unfortunately he is having knee surgery on Wednesday and wont be hunting this year, just praying it heals up fine.

Hope your buddy has a successfull procedure and heals well elkohalic. RJ

Thanks RJ
elkohalic

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Hoskins

Postby one_elk » 08 08, 2012 •  [Post 38]

I too have yet to meet perfect elk hunting partner so I spend a fair bit of time shepherding others around, of course it is by choice but is cuts into my success rate. But then again it’s not just about the harvest, but then again I do love to eat elk meat. So you do what ya can and hope for the best
one_elk

Postby mongopino915 » 08 08, 2012 •  [Post 39]

one_elk wrote:I too have yet to meet perfect elk hunting partner so I spend a fair bit of time shepherding others around, of course it is by choice but is cuts into my success rate. But then again it’s not just about the harvest, but then again I do love to eat elk meat. So you do what ya can and hope for the best

I hear you load and clear. 85% of my time in elk country are shepherding others around. Still looking forward to the day when I am in the front row with bow in hand and arrow nocked. Good Luck.
mongopino915

Postby Vanish » 08 09, 2012 •  [Post 40]

mongopino915 wrote:
one_elk wrote:I too have yet to meet perfect elk hunting partner so I spend a fair bit of time shepherding others around, of course it is by choice but is cuts into my success rate. But then again it’s not just about the harvest, but then again I do love to eat elk meat. So you do what ya can and hope for the best

I hear you load and clear. 85% of my time in elk country are shepherding others around. Still looking forward to the day when I am in the front row with bow in hand and arrow nocked. Good Luck.

Sounds like what my season is going to be this year!
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby Ryan S » 08 17, 2012 •  [Post 41]

A smart man once told me that a good elk huntin partner is someone who "Suffers Well"
Ryan S

Postby dreamhunter » 08 17, 2012 •  [Post 42]

I agree, finding someone who will pull their weight in all aspects of the trip is golden. I met my buddy several yrs ago. I remember him coming out to my place to deer hunt. I remember after a short time of hunting that he was in looking to upgrade his hunting gear ( bow and the whole setup ). He did and we have hunted many times together over the years. He still has that bow even though he has sold it i think 3 times and bought it back 3 times. He is a guy that I know,trust and can count on. He's ethical in his hunting and I never have to worry about any surprises like I have with other hunters.He's out of state now so the only time we get to hunt together is elk season in Colorado. This will be my 5th yr with him. I pray we each have the opportunity to harvest an animal this year.It's always a good time to spend time out in the wilderness camping. We usually go around 10 days or so and always have a great experience.I can't wait to see what this year brings us.I turned him on to this sight just this week and I think he is starting to spend quite a bit of time on here. There is so much to learn and glean here. Thanks Elknut for all you do for us to make this available.
dreamhunter

First Name: Holly
Last Name: Paugh

Postby easeup » 08 17, 2012 •  [Post 43]

Ryan S wrote:A smart man once told me that a good elk huntin partner is someone who "Suffers Well"

good point
easeup

Postby Magic » 08 19, 2012 •  [Post 44]

For many years, my favorite hunting partner has been my Son. He will not have a tag this year, but will still be with me.

No "group" picture, but here we are packing in to our spike camp last year.
Attachments
Image0324.jpg
Marty with his half of camp.
Image0324.jpg (56 KiB) Viewed 15604 times
Image0325.jpg
The old man is bringing up the rear.
Image0325.jpg (60.75 KiB) Viewed 15604 times
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D

Postby stickflngr » 08 20, 2012 •  [Post 45]

Ive found over the years that there are two distinct groups in our camp. One is "camp partners" which all fall into (or they don't last). They have good attitudes and don't mind sharing in the chores around camp, cutting and chopping wood, cooking, cleaning and the meat hauling if someone gets a critter down...

The other is "hunting partners" which Ive only found 3 over the years that mesh well with me and my hunting style. They are always willing to go one more ridge if need be and you work as hard to get your partner a shot as you do yourself.... These guys are truly the hard ones to find and when you do its great. :D
stickflngr