Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

DIY Idaho Backpack Hunt

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

DIY Idaho Backpack Hunt

Postby outdoordan » 10 02, 2012 •  [Post 1]

As I sit here pondering the events of the last 30 days, I feel somewhat saddened that I have to wait another 11 months to experience it again, but satisfied in a terrific season. I made a total of 4 trips into the backcountry with backpack loaded, and bow in hand. I learned some new areas, ultimately settling on an area that was from between 8400' and 10,000'. The second trip in, much more of exploratory than anything else, I ended up with an opportunity at a mature 5X5 bull. I did not end up with that bull but it sealed the deal on this new spot. The third trip in was with a new friend named Karl. Karl is from Florida, but recently moved to Idaho expressly for the hunting opportunities. We saw plenty of deer, elk, and mountain goats.

outdoordan

First Name: Dan
Last Name: Allred

Re: DIY Idaho Backpack Hunt

Postby outdoordan » 10 02, 2012 •  [Post 2]

scenery502.jpg
scenery502.jpg (34.96 KiB) Viewed 9999 times

After the trip in with Karl, I headed back Solo on the 21st, with a backpack that included 6 days of food, and a chair and saw to build a blind at a great wallow we found. The wallow was getting hammered, so I figured I would sit on it as much as possible, and to do that, it is best to be comfortable. Upon parking at the trailhead and loading up, I had barely gone 300 yards from the truck when I see a herd of elk up on the side of a mostly open sage slope. I baled out of the backpack, and headed up the slope. There was a big 6 pt. bull and a satellite bull and 3 cows. The big bull chased off the small bull and I used that as my chance to head up a timbered slope towards the cows that had walked into a small strip of timber. I called, he got very fired up and headed towards me. The problem was, the light faded too quickly and although I could see him, it was too dark for my sight pins. I stayed the night right there, hoping to catch him in the morning.
outdoordan

Postby outdoordan » 10 02, 2012 •  [Post 3]

The next morning there was no sign of the big bull and his cows, so I resumed my trip about 2 miles up into the canyon with the wallows. I got up there about 10ish in the morning, and set up camp, shot my bow at some stumps, and went down to get some water at the nearby stream. I thought I heard a bugle, or was that just from the jet flying overhead. I had just convinced myself it was the jet and went back to camp with the water. Once there, now I definitely heard a bugle coming from the wallow about 200 yards up from me. I grabbed my bow and snuck up, getting within 30-35 yards of several feeding cows. Turns out there were about 20 cows, but I could only see about 5 of them. I moved slowly up a couple more yards and heard a screaming bugle coming from my left, here he comes up towards me. As he crosses at 20-25 yards, I misjudge the distance and shoot over him! Damn! He trots up into the trees above me, and after a couple of minutes the cows settle back in to grazing. Now, I must say that my worst fear was the wind as it was erratic to say the least, but I never got winded! The bull, being the possessive type, comes back down the hill, this time at 40 yards and this time I was not going to miss! I sent one into his ribcage and he hop/bucks and heads downhill where I can't see him. I creep forward to try and see him and get busted by one of the cows. I remain motionless and she resumes feeding. I sit down for about 15 minutes watching the cows feed around me, finally something spooks them and they all take off. After going back to camp and retrieving some flagging tape and knives, etc. I head back over to start looking for arrow one and possibly number two as it looked like a pass through. Now the elapsed time has been an hour or more, and I walk to the edge to look around. Only 30 yards from the wallow, I see him laying there! 40 yards from the hit!

outdoordan

Postby pointysticks » 10 02, 2012 •  [Post 4]

that was a GREAT read...

man that last pic is just plain poetic. well done, very well done!!
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby outdoordan » 10 02, 2012 •  [Post 5]

My 2012 backpack bull.

http://www.hunthardcore1.com/

Forum Sponsor
outdoordan

Postby outdoordan » 10 02, 2012 •  [Post 6]

When I started hunting, a long time ago, my Mother would go with me. Sometimes she would hike right along with me, sometimes she would stay in camp. I ate good back then, and we loved going together. My Mom taught me to look at each animal sighting as something really special, the colors, the smell of sage and pine, the sunsets, cooking, sleeping arrangements, the plod of the horses, all this and so much more. I really developed my love for the outdoors from my Mother, and I owe her more than I could ever repay. We didn't kill much back then, but always had a great experience. Since then, I have hunted most western states and several countries. Unfortunately, we haven't gone hunting together in 20 years. When I got this bull down, the next morning I packed a hind quarter, a backstrap, and other assorted meat to the truck. I drove into town and called her to come up with her horse. She's always up for an adventure, so she grabbed a friend to ride with and drove up. She used her saddle panniers to pack the next two loads down the main trail, while I ferried meat from above. That is, she hiked a mile on bum knees to help out. So, this bull's for her. Thanks Mom, and thanks for reading.

BTW, On the morning of the second day of meat hauling, I woke up to find a big black bear on the meat cache. He ended up eating most of my second backstrap!
outdoordan

Postby Vanish » 10 02, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Thank you for posting the story!
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

DIY Idaho Backpack Hunt

Postby Solitude » 10 02, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Congrats Dan!

Very nice read and special mother you must have.
Solitude

Postby bnsafe » 10 02, 2012 •  [Post 9]

great hunt and pics
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby JimKirk » 10 02, 2012 •  [Post 10]

good read Dan and nice job thanking the mom that put the foundation down for you. what a gift a loving parent is to someone!
JimKirk

First Name: kirk

Postby elkoholic » 10 03, 2012 •  [Post 11]

great story and awesome bull!! congrads
elkoholic

First Name: Chewy
Last Name: Swatzell

Postby ElkNut1 » 10 03, 2012 •  [Post 12]

Dan, very, very nice!!!! Thanks a bunch for the insight behind the scenes too, you've got a great mom there!!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby outdoordan » 10 04, 2012 •  [Post 13]

Thanks guys! Yeah, Mom is great, and glad she was part of it. Thanks again...

Dan

Forum Sponsor

outdoordan

Postby FireWillie77 » 10 04, 2012 •  [Post 14]

Great story!!!!!!!! So awesome your mom helped you!!
FireWillie77

First Name: Michael
Last Name: Willie

Postby loopmtz » 10 05, 2012 •  [Post 15]

Very cool, thanks for sharing!
loopmtz

First Name: Jody
Last Name: Martinez

Postby RockChucker30 » 10 05, 2012 •  [Post 16]

Outstanding story! Congrats.
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby Panhandle Archer » 10 05, 2012 •  [Post 17]

Now that's hardcore! Nice work!
Panhandle Archer

First Name: Matt
Last Name: Kelso

Postby DominicV » 10 07, 2012 •  [Post 18]

Awesome job, congrats and thanks for the story.
DominicV

First Name: Dominic
Last Name: Valloni

Postby Dirty D » 10 07, 2012 •  [Post 19]

Great write up Dan. Thanks for sharing!
Dirty D