Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Late season strategies for bulls

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Late season strategies for bulls

Postby bigracklover » 10 01, 2012 •  [Post 1]

I have an archery draw in an area that open october 17th. Last time I hunted these grounds, I heard them bugling that morning.

What strategies and scenarios would work well to call bull elk (any size, spikers included) my way. I'm taking the first legal one that comes by to break the ice.

When exactly is the second cycle of estrus?
bigracklover

First Name: Gord
Last Name: Nuttall

Re: Late season strategies for bulls

Postby >>>---WW----> » 10 02, 2012 •  [Post 2]

There should be several cows coming into second estrus about that time. So you should still have plenty of bugling going on. This will help you find them and get in close. Most of the younger bulls will have been booted out of the herd by then. And, especially the spikes will be looking for companionship. They are suckers for cow calls at this time. And if spikes are legal where you hunt, they make some of the best elk steak you ever had.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Re: Late season strategies for bulls

Postby bigracklover » 10 02, 2012 •  [Post 3]

our plan is to fly over the area the day before to spot the elk herds in the field and then move in the next day (in the dark) and setup near by.

So a pleading cow would work well I assume? or a cow behind harassed by a young bulll - will a bigger bull come to 'save the day' and check out the situation?

Just looking for different story angle to tell the elk when we're set up. Maybe even some cold calling setups with decoys.
bigracklover

First Name: Gord
Last Name: Nuttall