Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Wapiti Talk Show in Idaho :)

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 09 29, 2012 •  [Post 1]

While in ID this year, I played around with my little action cam mounted to the bill of my hat. Up front, I opologize for the shakiness.. :) I'm looking back and forth for one of the bulls to blast through the 5 to 10 foot alder and huckleberry brush, up and down to change my diaphrams, etc. so the vid jumps around a bunch (I'm certainly not a professional elk video guy). The WG Innovation Action Cam does not pick up sound that great but I assure you, the bulls you hear are well within a 100 yard range. Eventually, the herd bull came in right where Joe was set down to my left but blasted into the small clearing 25 yards from my buddy directly behind a cow that was calling for her two calves that were about 15 yards away from me.. no shot in this situation. I was actually pulling cows away from a herd bull towards my location with chuckles (you can hear them down in the small clearing below me which is beneath a dirt wallow and a small seep which has a wet wallow). This country is thick..and I mean thick. I got into a ton of bulls, called quite a few in our direction, but the terrain didn't offer a clean shot except for one by Joe (hit a branch). I drew back a half dozen times but no clear shot for me. I'll be back there next year with a different strategy. Where I'm sitting is like a park compared to most of the areas I hunted this year. Heck, I had a 15 yard shooting lane in two directions on intersectiong trails. Did I mention it was thick :) You may want to use headphones so you can hear the bulls and not wake up the boss :) RJ

WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Wapiti Talk Show in Idaho :)

Postby POk3s » 09 30, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Pretty sweet!
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby >>>---WW----> » 09 30, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Boy! That little cam takes some good pics.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby ElkNut1 » 10 01, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Haven't seen it yet but will watch it today sometime, thanks Rory a bunch for taking the time to share your hunt with us!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby airmanharv08 » 10 02, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Hey RJ, like the F1! I got my bull this year! And did you go the GoPro or the Contour? Awesome video BTW!
airmanharv08

First Name: Darren
Last Name: Harvey

Postby slim9300 » 10 06, 2012 •  [Post 6]

How did I miss this thread? Great video!
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 06, 2012 •  [Post 7]

airmanharv08 wrote:Hey RJ, like the F1! I got my bull this year! And did you go the GoPro or the Contour? Awesome video BTW!

Ended up getting a Wild Game Innovations action cam.. It's not bad but I'm sure it's not as good as the other two you mentioned. The 2012 budget was at it's limit :) Congrats on your bull taken with "your" F1. Did you post something up here about your hunt? RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby ElkNut1 » 10 07, 2012 •  [Post 8]

RJ, I watched the clip, you may want to consider taking the action right at the bull/bulls, no reason to setup too far away. With the tight thick brush it's advantage hunter there! Get right in their face & force the action, stay with cow calling & go straight to him as he calls you or get right in his face & call his cows or threaten him directly! Choose one or the other when choosing your medicine, no need for both!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 07, 2012 •  [Post 9]

ElkNut1 wrote:RJ, I watched the clip, you may want to consider taking the action right at the bull/bulls, no reason to setup too far away. With the tight thick brush it's advantage hunter there! Get right in their face & force the action, stay with cow calling & go straight to him as he calls you or get right in his face & call his cows or threaten him directly! Choose one or the other when choosing your medicine, no need for both!

ElkNut1

Good copy Paul. Was overly hoping I'd get one to scream in on camera :) Got carried away the first few times I used the bill mounted cam :oops:
WapitiTalk1

Postby ElkNut1 » 10 08, 2012 •  [Post 10]

Yes, getting footage is cool, we too got some decent footage this year on a couple of bulls, but, we will not ruin a shot opportunity just to get elk footage! (grin) We shoot first & take photos later! (grin)

A real good tactic in the thick stuff especially with two hunters is when the bull calls you too him when you're using cow sounds is for the shooter to go right to him calling with excited mews! A caller stays back 80yd-150yds & tries to call his cow back with short screams & short lip bawls, this really sells it to the real bull & he's more than happy to pull in another cow from another bull!!! This tactic is sweet when cover is tight!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul