Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

My Gila Elk

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

My Gila Elk

Postby T/H » 09 26, 2012 •  [Post 1]

i tried to post a pic here but i keep getting a message that says the file is too big. :? after blowing a few opportunities it came together. attached is a link to how it all happened. hope you enjoy.
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1849577
T/H

My Gila Elk

Postby slim9300 » 09 27, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Congrats again on a great bull David. That's the way to get it done and never give up!
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Re: My Gila Elk

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 27, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Dave, yes a great bull for sure! Just resize your photo to 750 pixels & you can post it!

ElKNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby loopmtz » 09 27, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Good job, nice story! I sure love the Gila and them big bulls it produces!
loopmtz

First Name: Jody
Last Name: Martinez

Postby cantgetdrawn » 09 27, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Great Bull Trophy! I am definitely jealous.
cantgetdrawn

Postby T/H » 09 27, 2012 •  [Post 6]

hopefully it posted this time :)
Attachments
566.JPG
566.JPG (311.82 KiB) Viewed 4459 times
T/H

Postby T/H » 09 27, 2012 •  [Post 7]

slim9300 wrote:Congrats again on a great bull David. That's the way to get it done and never give up!

thats an interesting statement. Never Give Up! it's so funny that you mention that. when i got back to camp at 2:30 am the first thing i said to myself aloud plain enough for the next camp to hear me if there would have been one but i yelled out "NEVER GIVE UP! NEVER GIVE UP!! YEAH BABEEEEEEEE!

what a long night that was lol.
T/H

My Gila Elk

Postby slim9300 » 09 28, 2012 •  [Post 8]

T/H wrote:
slim9300 wrote:Congrats again on a great bull David. That's the way to get it done and never give up!

thats an interesting statement. Never Give Up! it's so funny that you mention that. when i got back to camp at 2:30 am the first thing i said to myself aloud plain enough for the next camp to hear me if there would have been one but i yelled out "NEVER GIVE UP! NEVER GIVE UP!! YEAH BABEEEEEEEE!

what a long night that was lol.

LOL! If there is one thing I have learned over the years, it's that mental toughness is the biggest sickness in elk hunters seeking to actually kill their elk. It has been a problem for me more than once and I have seen it many times in other hunters. If your goal is to simply have a good time and enjoy the outdoors then it really doesn't matter, but if you see getting an animal as achieving success then it's a vital aspect to overcome. IMHO of course. ;)

David I think you have it figured out. Hunting solo for 9 days hard requires the utmost in determination and mental toughness.
slim9300

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 28, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Great bull, unusual looking country!!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby >>>---WW----> » 09 28, 2012 •  [Post 10]

Sounds like an elk rich enviroment. Good story!
>>>---WW---->

Postby T/H » 09 28, 2012 •  [Post 11]

ElkNut1 wrote:Great bull, unusual looking country!!!

ElkNut1

thanks Paul. the trees that grow in that unit are various pines, including Pinon pines and Oak trees. lots of acorns for these elk to eat. and whatever kinds of trees you see in the photo. i think they are some type of cedar? the lack of bark on some of these trees was a result of fire at some point in previous years and or drought. there weren't many options for shooting lanes where i killed this bull. i'm just thankful that i was able to take advantage of this encounter in the end. what a great hunt. basically what i did on this bull was cow call my way to him as he was bugling and coming to me and let the situation unfold and it all worked out. :)
T/H

My Gila Elk

Postby Croakerslinger » 09 28, 2012 •  [Post 12]

T/H wrote:
ElkNut1 wrote:Great bull, unusual looking country!!!

ElkNut1

thanks Paul. the trees that grow in that unit are various pines, including Pinon pines and Oak trees. lots of acorns for these elk to eat. and whatever kinds of trees you see in the photo. i think they are some type of cedar? the lack of bark on some of these trees was a result of fire at some point in previous years and or drought. there weren't many options for shooting lanes where i killed this bull. i'm just thankful that i was able to take advantage of this encounter in the end. what a great hunt. basically what i did on this bull was cow call my way to him as he was bugling and coming to me and let the situation unfold and it all worked out. :)

The trees in the pic are called alligator juniper, the big bark looks like an alligators back, it's a defense mechanism , against fire, neat.
Croakerslinger

First Name: John
Last Name: Shepard