Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Late season tactics?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Late season tactics?

Postby lovestobowhunt » 09 26, 2012 •  [Post 1]

I'm going to be cow hunting late season, beginning November 24th.

What do you guys suggest for luring these cows in? I'm thinking maybe a calf in distress will get a concerned mama elk to come in or maybe a lonesome or lost cow?

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!!!

Colette
lovestobowhunt

First Name: Colette
Last Name: Roth

Re: Late season tactics?

Postby >>>---WW----> » 09 26, 2012 •  [Post 2]

If there are some good snows between now and then, they should be headed for wintering grounds. I'd say one of the best tactics would be to do alot of glassing. They won't respond to calling very well that late in the year. But a nervous bark will stop them for the shot.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby JimKirk » 09 26, 2012 •  [Post 3]

what state are you chasing those cows in? snow is a late season hunters friend. the days are short so plan on staying out all day. I agree with ww, glassing is tops. if you can figure out their travel routes or find where they are chowing down in preparation for winter you can hit gold. An ambush tatic is advisable because it sure is hard to put the sneak on a bunch of cows.
JimKirk

First Name: kirk

Postby T/H » 09 26, 2012 •  [Post 4]

good luck Colette, "Git er Done"
T/H

Postby lovestobowhunt » 09 26, 2012 •  [Post 5]

>>>---WW----> wrote:If there are some good snows between now and then, they should be headed for wintering grounds. I'd say one of the best tactics would be to do alot of glassing. They won't respond to calling very well that late in the year. But a nervous bark will stop them for the shot.

With the weather we are having right now in Oregon, I'm not sure what the snow will be. Almost October and we are hitting 82 degrees tomorrow. Granted, anything can happen between now and then. The problem with unit I drew is a majority of it is thicker timber, glassing could be tough in some spots, unless a really large clear cut.
lovestobowhunt

Postby lovestobowhunt » 09 26, 2012 •  [Post 6]

JimKirk wrote:what state are you chasing those cows in? snow is a late season hunters friend. the days are short so plan on staying out all day. I agree with ww, glassing is tops. if you can figure out their travel routes or find where they are chowing down in preparation for winter you can hit gold. An ambush tatic is advisable because it sure is hard to put the sneak on a bunch of cows.

Chasing cows in the coast range of Oregon. I do plan on staying out all day. I know some areas that the elk frequent in early January, so I'm hoping to catch some in November in the same area...maybe? I do know some travel routes, I just have to figure the best time to catch them there.

Thanks,
Colette
lovestobowhunt

Postby lovestobowhunt » 09 26, 2012 •  [Post 7]

T/H wrote:good luck Colette, "Git er Done"

Thanks David...I hope to "git er done". Plus, if a buck crosses my path, that is a bonus!
lovestobowhunt

Postby T/H » 09 26, 2012 •  [Post 8]

my late season tactic last year in December consisted of spot n stalk. this was a rifle cow hunt but she sure did eat good. :)
T/H

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 27, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Yep, glassing & listening from vantage points in areas where elk migrate or migrate/winter too is of utmost concern! In many areas the country is fairly open & one can see for miles, use this to your advantage & glass,glass,glass. Sounds used to draw elk your way are low on the list at this time! Watch for & listen for snows or very cold weather in your area as these things can really keep the elk on their feet, especially the cold weather! Many large cow groups will be found at snowline or in no more than 18". Elk must eat to stay warm, period & so are much easier to spot when moving around or standing with a good snow background! Any calling needed may be to stop an elk for the shot more so than worrying about calling them to you. A lost calf sound could be used if in close proximity, (inside a 100yds) if you need to draw them out of heavy cover or a bit closer for a shot opportunity! Nothing like the nervous grunt though to stop an elk in its tracks when needed most!! Good Luck & welcome!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul