Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Sniper Bulls

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Sniper Bulls

Postby >>>---WW----> » 09 26, 2012 •  [Post 1]

There is a certain type of bull out there that I like to call a sniper. He is not your everyday common herd bull. I have been fortunate to witness one or two of them and this is what I have noticed.

A sniper usually seems to be an older/wiser bull. And the one in particular that I'd like to tell you about was a huge bull for the area. Probably around the 330-340 range. This bulls M O seemed to be to hang around on the outskirts of the herd. Usually out of sight and very quiet. When a lesser bull started chasing a hot cow, as soon as the cow got close enough, the sniper would simply step out of the timber where he was hiding and pick her off.

It was so simple, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. As soon as the sniper stepped out into the open, the lesser bull slammed on the brakes and the cow went directly to the sniper where he bred her on the spot while the lesser bull was running away. After the breeding was over, he stepped back in the brush and waited for the next one. This old boy was pretty dang smart. He didn't have to waste his time defending a harem and fighting other bulls. And his shear size was enough to scare off any ther bull in the area. And he did all of this without ever making a sound.

I was wondering if any of the rest of you have ever seen a sniper in action. It kind of sounds like the bull that Bullnuts was after in his (Gearing up) thread may have been a sniper.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Re: Sniper Bulls

Postby dotman » 09 26, 2012 •  [Post 2]

That is my kinda bull! :).
dotman

Postby Buglemaster » 09 26, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Never saw a bull like that, but I did know a dirty rotten scoundrel in high school who fit the bill... :D
Buglemaster

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Shaklee

Postby Bullnuts » 09 26, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I actually think this is pretty common for bigger older bulls. They learn that it takes too much energy to keep the cows in line and they can just pick one off anytime they feel like it, so why bother chasing the girls around. It's like what the big old bull said to the young bull when they were standing on the hill.
Bullnuts

Postby T/H » 09 26, 2012 •  [Post 5]

that's interesting. on another thread from TwoBear a while back he talked about "Shirker Bulls" and these are big wise bulls that are again "outa sight outa mind" and let the lesser bulls round the cows up and do all the work and then they will promptly step in and the cows flock to him leaving the other bull or bulls in the herd dumb founded and alone. again they did not have to fight for the harem. the pecking order was predetermined.
T/H