Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

CLOSED the Deal

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

CLOSED the Deal

Postby POk3s » 09 25, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Well....had 9 days to hunt starting the 22nd until the end of the season which is the 30th.

At 3:00am Saturday morningme and my buddy (Doug) started our hike in with camp on our back. Didn't quite get as far in as I wanted but made it one big canyon away from the main road and figured that was far enough. We dropped our stuff with plans of coming back and setting up camp in the middle of the day or moving farther. As it gets light we walk to the edge of a steep drop off close to camp only to see a herd of probably 12 cows and calves and a good 5 point bull walk 100 yards from our stuff. We were only 100 yards the opposite way so when they hit the tree line we beat feat to the tree line to hopefully cut them off. Elk are fast....we missed them. The bull didn't want to bugle but I coaxed a few out of him just hoping to get his location. He was still going away so I gave up on that. I ended up dropping down into the small valley where the 5 point went. I actually got called in by another hunter who was very generous in sharing information. He'd been up there for a while and told me where a few groups of guys were running and where he was finding elk. He also told me they'd been bugled to death and basically been pushed out of the valley I wanted to concentrate my efforts. Not exactly what I wanted to hear but definitely gave me some ideas.

With all of that said, I was already at the bottom of that valley so I figured I'd hunt around. I made a small loop and found myself at the bottom of a rockslide which broke into a great looking meadow. I sat down and figured I would try a cold calling setup as this meadow was at the top of the valley I had previously dropped into. I thought the 5 point was in there somewhere and was thinking I could pull him from his bedding area along with there being other fresh sign. It just looked too perfect to NOT kill a bull. I started off with some calm cow chirps and slowly got more and more excited and then let it die down. Went through that cycle again with some estrus whines at the peak of the excitement and then let out an immature bugle (Threat 1). About 30 seconds after letting out the bugle I see an elk walking left to right in the trees across from me. I remember smiling and thinking, "I knew I was going to call one in here." When he popped through the trees I knew he wasn't big but made up my mind right then I would shoot him if given the opportunity.

When he came out of the trees he was 95 yards away. He came straight at me until he was 65 yards away and then turned like he was going to come to my right. Only problem with that was I set up as far left as I could get. To my right was a small rise and a lot of trees. No way I was going to get a shot unless he was 10 yards away or less. With him still in the meadow I stood up and started walking where I thought he was going. I took maybe 4 steps and he was looking right at me. I knew that wasn't going to work so I simply turned my head and called behind me. He came on a trot to the left, right in front of where I was just sitting but now didn't have a shot through the trees since I had moved. I only had only little 2 foot by 2 foot shooting lane directly in front of me. I ranged through it and it read 43 yards. I turned my head and cow called the other way and he turned and started back to the right. Right before he got into the shooting lane I drew my bow, and as his shoulder entered I let out a couple cow calls. He stopped instantly, I settled my 40 yard pin and watched as my arrow hit a tiny green limb that was hanging down that I didn't see......didn't even phase the arrow. It kept on track perfectly and smacked him high lungs. As he exploded I cow called but lost site of him as he left my shooting lane. I sidestepped to see him out in the middle of the meadow (15 yards from where I shot) with his legs spread wide and his head low. I thought to myself, "he's going to die right there." Sure enough, a couple seconds later he staggered to the left and fell. Clean, quick, kill and no tracking necessary. Doesn't get much shorter than a 15 yard recovery! I let out a big yell, pumped my fist and took a couple deep breaths. I walked out to my bull and was standing over him for a second admiring the moment when all hell broke loose behind me. Another bull had came into my calling but I never even got to see him. Just heard him take off from behind me where I shot from and then heard him thundering across the rocks. Oh well! Monday Night I was able to call in a 3x3 for Doug and repay the favor for him helping to get my elk out. I'll post those pics up later.....for now here's the beast! :lol:

Sorry for not cleaning up the photos, Was spike camped in as I mentioned and water for drinking was more important than water for cleaning.

Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Re: CLOSED the Deal

Postby Bullnuts » 09 26, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Nicely done! Great job!
Bullnuts

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 26, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Trent, way to go!!!! Nicely done & good story to boot, congrats!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby hornart » 09 26, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Congrats Trent on a good bull and a great hunt
hornart

First Name: steve
Last Name: smith

Postby foxvalley » 09 26, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Great shot, nice job!
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby Vanish » 09 26, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Way to go!
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby POk3s » 09 26, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Thanks guys. It was great. 2 bulls in 3 days and I called them both in. +2 for team Trent!
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby pointysticks » 09 26, 2012 •  [Post 8]

horray!!
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby loopmtz » 09 26, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Good job, thanks for sharing.
loopmtz

First Name: Jody
Last Name: Martinez

Postby T/H » 09 26, 2012 •  [Post 10]

that was a great shot. right thru the center of the >
T/H

Postby POk3s » 09 27, 2012 •  [Post 11]

Yea I aimed a little lower but on the entry side it came out almost exactly in the middle if you measure up and down. For whatever reason it came out higher on the exit side which is the side you can see. When i ranged into that opening I'm guessing he walked in front of where I ranged.....obviously it wasn't by much and it worked out great! Thanks everyone!
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 09 28, 2012 •  [Post 12]

Nice job Trent! I'll be expecting some elk jerky mailed to me really soon! 8-)

jf
JohnFitzgerald

Postby POk3s » 09 28, 2012 •  [Post 13]

elk is too good to be made into jerky John you should know that! :lol: . I do have some antelope jerky left over maybe I'll mail some of that. This elk is being made into steaks, burger, and breakfast sausage.
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 09 28, 2012 •  [Post 14]

POk3s wrote:elk is too good to be made into jerky John you should know that! :lol: . I do have some antelope jerky left over maybe I'll mail some of that. This elk is being made into steaks, burger, and breakfast sausage.

LOL! I'll pass on the antelope jerky.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Swede » 09 29, 2012 •  [Post 15]

Great ending to your previous thread Trent. Way to go.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 09 29, 2012 •  [Post 16]

Nicely done!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

CLOSED the Deal

Postby RockChucker30 » 09 29, 2012 •  [Post 17]

Congrats! Nice bull and great shot.
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor