Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

youth hunt questions

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

youth hunt questions

Postby bnsafe » 09 22, 2012 •  [Post 1]

as most of you guys know i just got back from my first elk hunt. now im thinking about buying a couple leftover cow tags for the kids for the first rifle season and try again. its oct 13 thru 17th or something close to that. anyway, i know there is know poss way of knowing exactly what the weather will be like for northern colorado then but can somebody give me some ideas of temps, snow, will the elk be migrating down to lower elevations, how to hunt them, etc. also, im looking at the same area i muzzleloaded in which was 6 16 17 116 117 gmu. i AM NOT asking for gps spots but if anybody has any other gmus i should look at for getting 2 kids into a cow elk i would appreciate VERY GENERAL info. i dont have a 4 wheeler so something i can pack out is imperative. thanks for any help and info. not sure im gonna do this but i want the kids to experience hunting out west and my youngest can still get a youth tag.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Re: youth hunt questions

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 23, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Generally during those dates there is no real snow to speak of, like any western state snow can come & go during Oct. Dress in layers & take a decent jacket with you in case needed but the layers will suffice in most cases. Elk will not really be migrating during your hunt, this generally does not take place until late Oct Nov. -- Hunt those elk & look for them in the same spots as Sept. & use similar tactics, there's no real change in their behavior then. If you hear bugles go to them, cows will be nearby! As far as what units are best, well that's for someone else to help out with! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby bnsafe » 09 23, 2012 •  [Post 3]

thanks paul. thats about what i was thinking but wanted to ask. we found them in september so if i take the kids i will look for them in the same spot. not sure what i will do if they kill 2 6 miles in, lol.
bnsafe

Postby Bullnuts » 09 30, 2012 •  [Post 4]

First rifle season is usually pretty mild in Colorado. You can get snow - and significant amounts - but that's unusual. Plan on cold nights and days in the 70s. We always pack winter gear on late hunts, but we'll also put shorts and tee shirts in the clothing tote because we'll probably end up wearing them at some point. Once the rifles start booming I would concentrate on low benches in heavy timber and would also set up on game trails that traverse the thick stuff. Most hunters will sit on fields and avoid the travel routes through the thick stuff so pressured elk will often stack up in those areas. Good luck!
Bullnuts

Postby bnsafe » 09 30, 2012 •  [Post 5]

thanks again guys.
bnsafe