Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Todays Elk Scenario; Need Advice!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Todays Elk Scenario; Need Advice!

Postby Backcountry » 09 20, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Hey guys, first post here. Me and my partner ran into a finicky situation today and need some advice. On our way into our spot we bumped a small bull just off the road we were on. He didn't spook too bad and we allowed him to move off. After a short while later we arrived to a ridge overlooking the draw we figured he dropped into. A location bugle later and we got a half hearted answer. We circled to get the wind right and dropped in.

Once we got to his elevation we found our selves on an overgrown logging road littered with fresh rubs and a few wallows. We got to what I felt was very close to his original position and bugled... nothing. We moved ahead another 150 yards or so, cow called a few times, then sat down for a snack. About 15 minutes later we heard movement in the brush behind and uphill of us. Our wind was perfect and there was a large wall of brush in between us. He could not see us, nor us him. The bull came into about 40 yards, gave three nervous grunts, then turned around and walked back up to the top of the ridge. I cow called a few times and he never turned back, just quietly left.

Question is; What else could we have done? We have been having a very difficult season here in Central MT. No rutting activity, very little if any vocalizations, and very hot weather.

Is anyone else experiencing similar conditions? What is a good tactic? We have mostly been still hunting but the dry conditions are not making this an easy task.
Backcountry

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Barnett

Re: Todays Elk Scenario; Need Advice!

Postby Swede » 09 20, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Elknut details the answer on his DVDs. Basically what Elknut explains is that the bull wants to see who is there. You tell the bull through cow talk, that you are being detained.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby POk3s » 09 20, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Swede wrote:Elknut details the answer on his DVDs. Basically what Elknut explains is that the bull wants to see who is there. You tell to the bull through cow talk, that you are being detained.

....and chuckle like you are a bull talking to that cow that wants to be with the other bull. there's still a chance that bull backs down anyways. But from what I remember that's the "script". A million different things could potentially work or not work in that situation. The only way to really get close to that elk is if you were an elk yourself and showed yourself when he is nervous grunting at you telling you to "SHOW ME WHERE YOU ARE!"
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby >>>---WW----> » 09 21, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Kinda sounds like the bull beat you to the punch! There is a chance that if you had given a nervous bark before he did, he may have come on in to show himself. But as I said, he beat you to it.

In this case, he wants to see something. I have tried soft cow mews in similar situations with some success. This would also be a good time to flash him with a decoy. Other than that, you just have to watch him walk away.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby RockyMountainHi » 09 21, 2012 •  [Post 5]

My partner and I had a similar situation this morning. We called in this 4 pt bull last night (silently) and he winded my partner, so we headed back to that area this morning. Cold calling with cow calls and chuckles/squeals and this same bull (partner saw him both times) starts nervous grunting every 3-5 minutes for over an hour! It didn't matter if we were 250 yards or 70 yards, he just gave us this same response and not always to a call. We tried cow calls; soft and insistent, chuckles, spike type squeals and even gave him a nervous grunt in return. Because he started, he wasn't interested in showing himself, so eventually wandered off. Ever hear of an elk continuing such nervous grunts for over an hour? It was never a "bark" and didn't ever give a bugle of his own.
RockyMountainHi

First Name: Barton
Last Name: Hill

Postby ElkNut1 » 10 03, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Yep, have herd bulls/cows give the nervous grunt for fairly long periods of time, some stay put & others move on continually giving it, it's more rare than common to hear it in that manner!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Lefty » 10 03, 2012 •  [Post 7]

So would a decoy be a good option in this situation?
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H