Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Has anyone called one over from private land?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Has anyone called one over from private land?

Postby cantgetdrawn » 09 20, 2012 •  [Post 1]

They are bugling like crazy. Problem is they are bugling 100-500 yard the other of the fence line. I've tried everything I know to pull them over. I was hoping they would travel North-South, instead they travel east-west never coming onto public land at night.

Estrus buzz doesn't work.

Acting like I'm force ably taking away cows who don't want to go. Threat level I-III.

Wind never seems to be right but I can get in draws where the wind is parallel. But they just call trying to get me to come to them.

Anything else I could do?
cantgetdrawn

Re: Has anyone called one over from private land?

Postby Swede » 09 20, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Are you kidding? The elk where I hunt can all read. They hang out and party behind "No Hunting" and "No Trespassing" signs. The old bulls tell jokes about hunters trying to coax them off the ranch. They know where it is safe and where there is danger. There are several hundred elk hanging out on just one ranch, and they won't leave until after all of the hunting seasons are over. I feel for you buddy, but I think you have asked for the impossible.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby cnelk » 09 20, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I know its frustrating but with all of the good elk public land to hunt, why torture yourself and hunt so close to private?
If you do happen to call one across the fence and you shoot it, there's a very good chance it will run back over on to private and die.
Then you got to go thru all the BS to get access [maybe it wont be given]

I know your pain and have learned to find other areas to find elk without taking any chances
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby >>>---WW----> » 09 20, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I've called a bunch of them across. But to be honest with you, for every 1 that comes, there are probably close to 60-70 that won't. Sometimes, silent calling works. But the thing that has worked the most for me is to just get into a good shouting match with a bull. Mock everything he does and try to get him POed enough to come to you. I've worked on bulls like this for as long as 3 hours, mainly because I didn't have anything better to do, before they finally decide to come. Like I said, 1 in 60-70 isn't very good odds but if you can tick the right bull off, he will come. Another thing is that it will only work before they get into the cows. So you have to get it done early on. Once they are with cows, you might as well forget it.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby dito » 09 20, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Drats! I had just pmed Paul with this very question today. Two years ago I called in 4 bulls. The year before that 3. This year and last year have yet to see a one! So I found a spot right next to this ranch that has a bunch of elk in it. Tried all morning to call one across with no luck. Threw everything at em. Really starting to look like this year is going to be a bust again. Fortunately or unfortunately I'm too dumb to quit!
dito

First Name: Armando
Last Name: Vigil

Postby cantgetdrawn » 09 24, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Thanks for the reply guys. I did not have internet service while hunting, I posted this message from a laundry mat in Norwood, CO. I planned to get back there but got busy trying to find elk. I hunted harder than I ever had, but not sure if I hunted smarter. I spent 2 days trying to pattern those elk to see if they came onto public ground at night.

I got a few bulls to bugle at me on public land but I never even saw one up close. I had hiked into a meadow I had visited the year before and they started bugling about 1 hour before daylight. They did bugled from the dark timber, across the meadow even while it was still dark. I got in as close as I dared and started calling trying to time my calling with legal shooting light. They would call back, but as soon as the sun came up they disappeared.

Some day I will get my bull :D
cantgetdrawn