Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

bugle or mew

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

bugle or mew

Postby In-S-Heart » 09 19, 2012 •  [Post 1]

We were having a discussion at elk camp this year ...

Do cow elk bugle - do bull elk mew?

Bob
In-S-Heart

Re: bugle or mew

Postby BigAl » 09 19, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Although I haven't seen a cow bugle it's my understanding that they can/do. I have witnessed a bull mew.
BigAl

First Name: Alan
Last Name: Stephens

Postby T/H » 09 19, 2012 •  [Post 3]

yes and yes
T/H

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 20, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Absolutely! Just think for a minute? All elk were calves/yearling's at one stage of their lives, they all mewed or would give off what we call cow sounds. As they get older they do not forget how to make these sounds! (grin) Mews, whines & chirps are all part of an elks language no matter the gender. Cows do bugle as well, mostly outside of rut phases, they also can grunt or bark for warning or wanting identification depending on situation at hand, we know bulls can do these sounds as well. Put it all together & yes Bulls & Cows alike can basically make any sound they choose too!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Swede » 09 20, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I was near my son last year when he shot a small bull. The bull was with a cow and calf at the time he was shot. The cow and calf ran up the hill and waited for the bull, which never came to them. While waiting, the cow bugled for the bull. Her bugle was about the same as a spike or rag horn's as best I could tell in the forest.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Vanish » 09 24, 2012 •  [Post 6]

I can confirm all bulls mew, including very large ones. :D It is much quieter than I expected.
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby T/H » 09 24, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Vanish wrote:I can confirm all bulls mew, including very large ones. :D It is much quieter than I expected.

i saw a bull mew. and it was much quieter than you would think. that taught me something that day. just because we can't always hear them does not mean they aren't talking.
T/H