Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Missed!!!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Missed!!!

Postby eltaco » 09 19, 2012 •  [Post 1]

This week has been AWEFULLY slow for us, very few responses to our calling, and once we get a response the bull has been shutting up and walking off. Finally yesterday morning we had a bull come in stealth on our calls. My buddy and I were setup ~50yds apart calling and the bull showed up at 40yds from Andy (1st year big game hunter, 1st year archer). In disbelief, Andy drew his bow and sent an arrow sizzling right over his back. I had no idea any of this was happening until I heard the bull crash off... HOLY CRAP! We had an elk come to Andy and he just put an arrow in it, was my thought! Then Andy blew a cow call and the bull stopped dead in his tracks... directly in my shooting window. I had my bow on my lap but nowhere near full draw and all of the sudden the bull was locked on me. He stood there for a while and then Andy blew another cow call. The bull promptly turned his head towards the call and I had an opportunity to draw my bow. "This is going to happen!" I thought... Right as I got to full draw the bull turned towards me again, but it was too late for him, I had my pin settled and sent an arrow on its way... the flight looked good and then the bull ran off with no sign of being hit. I just sat there in disbelief. What the heck just happened? Stood up and realized I had a tree down about 10yds ahead of the bull, with branches standing vertically along the trunk... I swear I couldn't see it sitting there. After talking with Andy he said he saw my arrow in flight and heard it hit a tree and we confirmed no blood was present.

I'm happy that I didn't wound him, but still can't believe the luck. What an awesome experience, especially for Andy being brand new to elk hunting... just didn't turn out as we had thought! FWIW, Andy has been learning elk calling for about 2 months and he's an exceptionally great caller... and it's paying dividens on our hunt. I think we have another guy hooked for life!

Had to work today, but heading up in the morning for 3 more days. Hopefully I have better news next go around!
eltaco

Re: Missed!!!

Postby RockChucker30 » 09 19, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Lucky bull! Missed twice? Man, he should have just gotten a masters degree in hunter avoidance. :lol:
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby eltaco » 09 19, 2012 •  [Post 3]

RockChucker30 wrote:Lucky bull! Missed twice? Man, he should have just gotten a masters degree in hunter avoidance. :lol:

I hear you... keep plating it back and just can't believe it. Lots of what ifs and things to have done differently. On my shot, I'm positive that if I had been standing it would not have deflected. Just the way the terrain rolled off caused that log to be in my path and I wasn't wise to it until I stood up and surveyed the area. I want a do over....
eltaco

Missed!!!

Postby RockChucker30 » 09 19, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Unfortunately we don't get mulligans in our sport.....,
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby eltaco » 09 19, 2012 •  [Post 5]

RockChucker30 wrote:Unfortunately we don't get mulligans in our sport.....,

Guess I'll just have to live with it and get back up there! Leaving in a few hours!
eltaco

Postby Swede » 09 19, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Eltaco, you have the right attitude. Just keep on hunting. We all have misses. The ones who get the most are those who just keep on hunting. I have killed elk on the last day and even the last hour of the season. As Yogi said "it ain't over till it's over".
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 09 20, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Maybe we should change your handle to BushWacker or Woodpecker. LOL! Don't you just hate those trees that jump out in front of your arrow ?

Keep after em. Sounds like you are in a good area.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics