Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Guess this Elk Sound. # 1

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 11, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Allright campers, gonna start a series of threads (at least until Elknut tells me to stop) :). Listen to my clip and identify what kind of elk sound it is. Easy, right? But wait, there's more.. Also, give us your best guess of what this elk sound means when heard in the elk woods, when you make it, or... how you would respond to it when heard. Lastly, there's a bit of developmental work involved with these threads.... Try to make the same sound and post it up if you'd like for comment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcQxuDnu ... e=youtu.be
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Guess this Elk Sound. # 1

Postby ctdad » 06 11, 2012 •  [Post 2]

location bugle. This bull is looking for cows and wants to know what their location is. If I heard this, I would use cow calls (give him what he wants). I'd use some lost cow calls and try to cut the distance to the bull also. If he hangs up when I get in close, add some whines and low level screams like a level 1 threat.

Here's my attempt at this call

http://soundcloud.com/ctdad/audio-recor ... -tuesday-4

(alright, let me have it. I'm a newby to the ways of the elknut. Listen to audio cd's daily. Practice daily. Feel like I'm getting a cursory grasp on this elk language, but I've never used these methods in the woods.....yet!)
ctdad

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 11, 2012 •  [Post 3]

ctdad wrote:location bugle. This bull is looking for cows and wants to know what their location is. If I heard this, I would use cow calls (give him what he wants). I'd use some lost cow calls and try to cut the distance to the bull also. If he hangs up when I get in close, add some whines and low level screams like a level 1 threat.

(alright, let me have it. I'm a newby to the ways of the elknut. Listen to audio cd's daily. Practice daily. Feel like I'm getting a cursory grasp on this elk language, but I've never used these methods in the woods.....yet!)

Hey ctdad.. You're 100% correct on the type of elk sound I made. And thank you for being the first to post up a locator bugle.. Not too shabby! Let's wait a bit and see what others post up as "what this elk sound means" when heard in the elk woods, and, how to respond to it :) RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby slim9300 » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Sounds like that bull needs a companion or two. I like to use excited cow sounds to keep this bull in place and vocal and allow myself to get in close to setup. Then out comes the bag of tricks. =)

Here's my version of the location bugle.

http://soundcloud.com/slim9300/sounds-from-monday-evening-1
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby mattstanton » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 5]

ctdad wrote:location bugle. This bull is looking for cows and wants to know what their location is. If I heard this, I would use cow calls (give him what he wants). I'd use some lost cow calls and try to cut the distance to the bull also. If he hangs up when I get in close, add some whines and low level screams like a level 1 threat.

bingo ^
mattstanton

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Don't forget that Bulls can use this sound when wanting the location of other bulls in the area. Kinda a "Hey where is everybody". It's not just a sound used on cows. My 2-cents.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 7]

JohnFitzgerald wrote:Don't forget that Bulls can use this sound when wanting the location of other bulls in the area. Kinda a "Hey where is everybody". It's not just a sound used on cows. My 2-cents.

Excellent point John. Early season location bugles are often times just to see who's around. How many times have you been standing at the head end of a draw in early September and heard numerous locator bugles coming from several areas in the drainage. The bulls oftentimes, didn't move for a long period of time.... just seemed to be keeping "track" of each other. Kind of like a "commo" check in the military :) RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby Elktracker » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Location bugle is my go to call before I drop into a knarly canyon unless I know there are Elk in the area to begin with. I have been using the location bugles since I read about them in Pauls Playbook to locate bulls at night, especially durring the full moon phase. I will go to different canyons and do a couple location bugles and then just sit for up to an hr and if I get an answer it will usually always be from a bull or multiple bulls! I have had up to 4 different bulls sound off one after another in the same canyon from different spots a month before season.

If I dont get an answer I just move on untill I get a vocal bull and then I come back in the morning before daylight and do it again and 9 times out of 10 he will answer back again and then I move into a better position so im ready to work him come daylight.

Usually when I do this I drive as close to where I plan on calling from as I feel comfirtable and then walk in the rest of the way and call. I also usually do this from 11:00PM to 1:00am and sometimes longer if im not having luck. Its a good way to locate vocal bulls as long as you do it right and dont drive up to the edge of the canyon with your loud truck and get out talking out loud and then let out a location bugle emiadiatly after shutting off your vehicle, Now that is a good way to edjumicate Elk and that we dont want.

I also heard my first poppinggrunt like this I walked up to the edge of a landing on a very big draw and sat down for a few minutes and then let out a locate bugle and not 40 yards over the edge came back a series of nervious grunts then I heard the bull busting away through the timber. I was busted of course but at night 12:30pm by your self out there in the coastal mountians it sure was a neat sound to hear and I knew right away what it was after hearing it on Elknuts video. :)

Josh
Elktracker