Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Can't Close the Deal!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Can't Close the Deal!

Postby POk3s » 09 18, 2012 •  [Post 1]

I have a TON of stories I could share but basically in a nutshell.

Last weekend I was within bow range of 2 6 points. Both under 300 but bigger then anything I've ever had a shot at previously. Couldn't get shots off.

This weekend I get to 100 yards from a 320" 6 point. Cows everywhere and I can't move any close. I cow call a little, get all the cows amped up. Cows are calling, calves are calling. What is he doing......ignoring me. Not a peep from him for 20 minutes of this game. Finally I go through a scenario where I'm a bull that just showed up and is stealing his cow. Nothing for a while but I bugle and chuckle and get a response. I think I have him......nope. Never another peep out of him. I even had a calf come barreling out of the trees calling like crazy and running right at me. I finally shut up because I didn't want it in my lap while trying to kill this bull. Nothing. Last view I have of him is him hooking his cows across the meadow and up into the trees.

The next morning I go back in and he's already in his bedding area. Didn't wanna spook him so I backed out. Later in the afternoon I'm creeping below his bedding area and run into him getting a drink from the head of a spring. I spot him from about 90 yards away....sneak into 70 and he turns to leave so I run closer as he's also heading diagonally away. I didn't have time to range him and within seconds he was in my last shooting lane. I called to stop him while drawing my bow. I settled my 60 yard pin on him and then in my head went "nope, he's 70". Put my 70 on him, released and watched the arrow sail over his back. Crushed. I just sat there for about 15 minutes going over the "what could've beens" in my head.

The next day (Monday). Dog this bull for a couple hours. Shooting light until about 8:30. I finally get close to him and below him. He bugles and I know I'm right there. I bugle back and he screams back......so I challenge him.....silence. I'm sitting there for a few minutes and bugle again....silence. I set my bow down, look up and see tines coming through the trees. I'm tucked in the back of this sagebrush meadow. I had just ranged the other side at 62 yards. He comes right at me.....50.....40.....30.....20.....finally at 12 yards I decide I have to try and draw. I get halfway drawn back, he sees me (obviously) and doesn't stop when I cow call to him. HOW CLOSE CAN I GET!?

but yet.....I've never had more fun in my whole life.

Been within 100 yards of 6 6 point bulls the last two weekends. Twice was the same bull but nonetheless I must be doing something right....closing the deal however has not been in the cards so far. I have 9 days of hard hunting coming up. If anybody would send me some luck I'd appreciate it.

Oh, and I should mention that on Friday my dog decided he was going to chew up my chuckler so the bull I called in was by use of a gatorade bottle :lol: . I just ordered a new bugle but doubt I'll get it by Friday!
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Re: Can't Close the Deal!

Postby pointysticks » 09 18, 2012 •  [Post 2]

wooooooww!!!!

you had my heart beating with those words!!
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby POk3s » 09 18, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I try! LOL

I should have 9 days of nothing but elk hunting coming up. 3 days here in civilization then back at it! Just a big game of hide and seek! Only problem is the elk are better at hiding and seeking!!!!
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby Swede » 09 18, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Good story Trent. Good luck on your nine day hunt. I am looking forward to the pictures on how you closed the deal.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby POk3s » 09 19, 2012 •  [Post 5]

god willing. My goal this year was a 3 1/2 year old bull. I've seen one spike and one spike by 3 goofy looking dude. Other then that it's been all big bulls and cows. Amazing year.
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 19, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Good stories Trent!! Stay positive, good things will happen!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby hornart » 09 19, 2012 •  [Post 7]

The Best of Luck to you Trent, stick him
hornart

First Name: steve
Last Name: smith

Postby POk3s » 09 19, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Will do Paul thanks.

Hornart I plan on sitting at the same waterhole I've seen him at twice now but he might be closer to you then he is to me after that arrow went whizzing over his back.
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby POk3s » 09 20, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Thanks man. I'm visualizing success but this is the first time I've started to feel the pressure archery elk hunting. Grew up as a rifle hunter and got into bowhunting from a family friend. My dad never archery hunted and I've since got him into it. Before it was, "well there's always rifle season". Now I'm a hardcore archery elk hunter and the season is winding down. Shooting one with a rifle won't be the same if I go 14 days hunting them with my bow and getting sooo close and don't get it done....but I guess that's hunting. Regarldess, I'm way over thinking this as the bulk of my time in the woods is coming up. 9 straight days if I want it/need it and backpacking in this weekend.
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby hornart » 09 21, 2012 •  [Post 10]

Well send him over Trent,,maybe he will like me better,LOL
hornart

Postby POk3s » 09 21, 2012 •  [Post 11]

I was actually on my way back to camp one evening and ran into a good 6 point with cows and a little spike by 3 goofy dude. I didn't get a shot at the bull and a few minutes later and close to my truck I see a guy. I was going to be kind of cocky and say, "you know if you would've went 200 more yards you would've had yourself a 6 point". Instead he beat me to it by saying, "Was that you that chased those elk right by me". I said, "well I didn't chase them but yes I sent them on their way." He told me about how he had a shot but forgot to judge for being so steep downhill. I just thought to myself....imagine that....I walk 10 miles + today ridge after ridge, through slides and downfall and I chase a big 6 point to some lazy hunter 200 yards off the road who's in blue jeans and smoking a cigarette and he gets a shot off.

So see hornart...I am indeed sending them your way. I'm sure if you stayed about 100 yards away from me you'd be done within the first 5 minutes of daylight. Just seems like it goes that way for me!
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 24, 2012 •  [Post 12]

Trent, thanks for the update!! Keep up the perseverance, it can pay off in the end! Good luck!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby hornart » 09 25, 2012 •  [Post 13]

HEY,,Trent ,,just cause i`m in blue jeans and smoking a cigarette in my avatar doesnt mean that I`m like the guy you ran into,,LOL
hornart

Postby POk3s » 09 25, 2012 •  [Post 14]

hahahahha! 10-4!
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s