Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Any tips for using Google earth for scouting

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Any tips for using Google earth for scouting

Postby Moose-head » 06 11, 2012 •  [Post 1]

I am trying to get an idea about where I might find some critters in the future from half way across the country. From comparing with new construction in town I think that the image for the area that I am interested in is older than I would like, clear-cuts and stuff are different. What cues should I look for, and what other things might not be as important?
Moose-head

First Name: Dana

Re: Any tips for using Google earth for scouting

Postby westaner » 06 11, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I always start looking for water and a Topo map shows that best. North facing slopes, usually hold elk. I always scout for the highest water coming out of the drainage. Security,water and feed in that order.
westaner

First Name: K.C.

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 06 11, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Second Westaner's post. I hunt Eastern Oregon and in addition I always look for darker timber patches. Also, if you look close enough you can sometimes see green grass patches. Usually means a spring or well feed drainage.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby mtnmutt » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I suggest looking over some of elknut's posts in ElkNut Tips and Tactics. He posted at least one picture with a description of the points of interest of finding elk.

First use a topo to find drainages, saddles and identify the North facing slopes with thick timber like the others mentioned.

I am in Colorado, so I use google earth to find the aspen groves (good grasses for eating). Spotting the aspen groves depends on when the image was taken.

The imagery date is in the lower left of the image. I am fortunate that many of my areas have imagery in late Sept when the aspens were turning yellow.

Because CO has some small and large burn areas, the newer the image can help to see if new aspen groves have grown where pines once existed.
mtnmutt

Postby PHELPS GAME CALLS » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Elk need three things:
1)Feed
2)Water
3)Cover/Bedding

For feed look at south facing slopes (food can be found on all aspects).
Water is obvious (Streams, ponds, seeps, wallows, etc...)
Cover or Bedding is in the darker timber (I usually look for areas that bench out or flatten out).

When you put these three things together in elk country the area will most likely hold elk.
PHELPS GAME CALLS
Site Sponsor

Postby Arapahoe » 06 13, 2012 •  [Post 6]

One my offseason scouting tips is too go back to every spot that has held a herd of elk and study it on google earth and a hill-shaded topo map.

I then look for similarities.The areas all point to the same common terrain features. Bench areas adjacent to STEEP timbered mountain sides.

Water and feed seem to be everywhere at the elevations(alpine) I hunt in Colorado.
Arapahoe

Postby Freebird134 » 06 15, 2012 •  [Post 7]

I use google earth a lot. A few things I like to do are:

1) Go into the settings and adjust the topographic relieve setting. I forget what it is called. But you can basically "exaggerate" elevation changes, to really make the topography *pop*. It helps me see features better.

2) create transparent polygons highlighting key areas. For example, a transparent yellow for where we've seen elk before, blue for important water and wallows, etc. This really helps my eyes when orienting on the computer screen. Similarlly, I'll create lines on important streams, trails and roads---sometimes the data files are wrong, so making my own lets me double check with a topo map

3) Use the path function. You can trace your trails and it will tell you important things like distance, average slope, elevation gain/loss, etc. You can also view it as an elevlation profile. Ive been doing this for 2 reasons. First, to compare entrance routes to our backcountry spot and find the easiest path. Second, to familiarize myself with all the existing trails to plan exits routes when I have a pack full of dead elk!
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby POk3s » 06 15, 2012 •  [Post 8]

If you look at it on google earth and you say, "yea that looks pretty steep but not too bad" then It's gonna look like frickin everest when you get there. Took me a little while to learn that......
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby elkmtngear » 06 15, 2012 •  [Post 9]

POk3s wrote:If you look at it on google earth and you say, "yea that looks pretty steep but not too bad" then It's gonna look like frickin everest when you get there. Took me a little while to learn that......

:lol:
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby POk3s » 06 16, 2012 •  [Post 10]

;)
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby N5J » 06 20, 2012 •  [Post 11]

When I search new hunting areas with (google maps or bing maps).

1. I start with the road map view. I'm looking for access roads/trails...or are lack of them. :D
2. I look over the area with the satellite view looking looking for heavy timber, feed, and water.
3. Once I find an area that peeks my interest I switch to google earth or bing 3d (samething) to get the 3d views. I'll rotate the views to get different views from different directions...map is preset to view north.
4. Then I check the elevations and steepness by using the terrain view. To determine elevations, I pay attention to the amount of space in between lines. If the lines are close together, you're looking at a steep slope. If the lines have wide spaces in between...or aren't there at all...the terrain is relatively flat.

Hope this helps...

N5J

James
N5J

First Name: J
Last Name: N

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 20, 2012 •  [Post 12]

I start with seclusion, unharnessed elk are the best to call & lure in out of Threat or curiosity. Then I add all the above!

Seclusion can be found even close to roads! Look for those very steep up & down access spots, most hunters avoid the extra work! Some great hidey holes can be found in them where they flatten or bench. The thicker the timber the better!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul