Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What's with this bull

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What's with this bull

Postby Lefty » 09 16, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Im making an assumption of the same elk. A single large track has been hitting a water tank for months. Lately this elk has been jumping the fence the same place I cross and the trail I walk when going to the site.
This week and last week the elk visited the site mid day and hasnt been drinking. He (pee line indicates a bull along wth the single big tracks and extra large droppings and piles) he walks right up to the blind and often leaves the same way, downwind. Leaving droppings and urine just feet from the blind I placed hours beforeI . Im thinking he is just marking for when the girls show up, or his he marking to me? Setting up the blind I certianly left plenty of smell
Last month tracks indicated lots of visits to this tank, but never right up to it for the water
I set out a trail cam maybe I can get some idea whats up with this bull
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: What's with this bull

Postby Swede » 09 16, 2012 •  [Post 2]

He is a bad one Lefty. He does not need a psychological evaluation. He needs to be shot. :D Anyway I have run into similar elk and refer to them as "residents". They can follow a routine for weeks. If I want them I set up and remove them from the gene pool. I don't find these guy often enough, but have killed a few.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 09 17, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Well Swede this bull has me pulling my hair. He had the nerve to walk between my blind and the fence,... all of 3 feet. Deficate 6 feet in front of my blind window, And what kind of elk walks to water midday in the wide open!Not a tree for miles and the nearest sagbrush hundreds of yards away
After a bit of harrasment by some of my hunting neighbors they are telling me I need to take a few days off of work :)

I think this bull found a little place in Idaho that nobody has bothered, he has his little hiddy hole.
A few pics might help,.. I wouldnt be surprised if he isnt living out old age in that area
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby hornart » 09 18, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I believe you have found an old bull, he doesnt care about anything, and he isnt worried about you,, I`d say your work is cut out for you
hornart

First Name: steve
Last Name: smith