Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

we got it done..thanks ELKNUT!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

we got it done..thanks ELKNUT!

Postby pointysticks » 09 15, 2012 •  [Post 1]

first and foremost, i need to thank our host for helping us out. we (I) needed the kick in the pants to get out and hunt some elk instead of sitting at home whining about the impossibility of drawing a tag..PAUL (ELKNUT) helped me pick a unit in IDAHO (OTC)..and the plans were afoot. Paul was the catalyst for this trip..the LAW BOYS had a plan!!

we invited a couple of guys to come along to have fun. one guy worked with a crew that was so negative towards him. "you'll never get an elk!" (stuff like that) "rookies never score". nicest guy in the world.

IDAHO is:
very far away
very beautiful
full of super friendly people (about half are cute, healthy females!..my single brother was in love)
full of expensive gas
full of hungry trout!
etc.

anyways. the area has lots of burned out areas trying to grow back. blown down timber? OMG! it was like God himself had a horrible JENGA game, threw a tantrum and refused to pick up the pieces.. it was awful...my legs are shredded!

the elk were NOT vocal. at all. not a peep. we saw almost ZERO elk. the locals noted our long distant license plates and actually helped. one retired fireman offered us his secret spot. i had to 4x4 my truck onto the roughest road. we were rewarded with tons of elk sign. the area was more suited to rifle hunters and we were not successful. we did find a fantastic natural mineral area the elk were scrapping with their teeth.

in the end we decided to think outside the box. during some exploratory hiking we found a wet area with very promising sign. poop, tracks, chewed down plants. one plant was still oozing with sap..we JUST MISSED it. we slept in very late, cleaned up our campsite and packed up and decided to one last evening hunt. a last horrah.; we went back to the promising site. it was close to camp. at this point was havent seen or heard a bull yet.

we did however see:
a bunch of orangey deer doe.
a moose
a fox
six wolves

we spread out over this small meadow. we had it covered. we put the rookie in the best spot. we called it the "ambush tree". as the sun set, my heart sank with it. 10 more minutes, and my IDAHO hunt was over. then i heard it..something moved in the distance. it was near the rook..then CRASHING!! he had shot!! i heard over the radio..a shaky voice, "i got him!"

we rallied and i got to the shot sight..ZERO BLOOD! the rookie told me it was a good shot. a mere 20 yards. i looked around and a blind man could see where a huge animal had blasted thru the bushes..i ran and found the bull dead about 70 yards from the shot. BULL DOWN AND FOUND..you should have heard me jumping up and down laughing.. we all hugged..high fives around..cheering.

elk hunting is truely a team sport. you SOLO guys are bad asses..kudos.

we took pics and the daunting task of meat handling began..the rook was lost and didnt know what to do. we sent him to get the truck closer..and we took that bull apart. it was many trips back and forth but we packed it out. my BADLAND 2800 us a meat hauling animal. did you know a hind quarter is very heavy? haha..we had to help each other up under the load..we took everything..i got the heart!

pics. thanks PAUL. i am so happy the rookie scored..we all got meat. lots of meat. he got the bragging rights. the LAW BOYS will do it again. in the end we found a single elk..and got him.
Attachments
P1000360.JPG
me and my friend.
P1000360.JPG (159.5 KiB) Viewed 2992 times
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Re: we got it done..thanks ELKNUT!

Postby Swede » 09 15, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Congratulations to all of you, especially "the rook". Excellent story. I wish I had been there to help.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby cantgetdrawn » 09 15, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Congrats!
cantgetdrawn

Postby Magic » 09 16, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Congrats. The smiles tell it all. :D :D
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D

Postby gagodfrey » 09 16, 2012 •  [Post 5]

awesome!
gagodfrey

First Name: Greg
Last Name: Godfrey

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 17, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Cliff, a huge congrats to you & your buddy, awesome dudes!!!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby loopmtz » 09 18, 2012 •  [Post 7]

That is a great pic. Good job guys!
loopmtz

First Name: Jody
Last Name: Martinez

Postby POk3s » 09 18, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Great job boys!!!! I may need to give Paul a call to see where that spot was.....not to hunt elk, but because Wolves are my number 1 priority this winter!!!
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s