Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk behavior

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk behavior

Postby Firemedicbkelly » 09 15, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Ever since I blew it on my first opportunity at an elk I have replayed the scenario in my head a thousand times. I bumped the bull running and gunning and called him back with cow calls. He came in down wind of course and was headed straight to the source of the calling. He stopped slightly quartering to me at 25 yds and put his head down. I took this as a sign he was about to bolt and took the shot resulting in a shoulder bone hit. My question is was him stopping and putting his head down a sign he knew something was up or does it sound as if he was still calm and may have took another step to open up broadside? I was already at full draw and was motionless with good cover. What clues tell you a bull is about to head to the next GMU or to wait him out to see if a better shot presents itself?
Firemedicbkelly

First Name: Blake
Last Name: Kelly

Re: Elk behavior

Postby Swede » 09 15, 2012 •  [Post 2]

From what you describe, I can not say that he was aware of you yet. You say he came in down wind. I would think, if he had scented you, that he would have left immediately. It is always best to wait for a quality shot opportunity. The likelihood of having a bad shot chance work in your favor are much less than it working against you. Good question.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Firemedicbkelly » 09 15, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Thanks for the advice Swede. Looking back I feel like I forced my shot thinking he may have been getting spooky when he really wasn't. Definitely a rookie mistake and a great learning experience one hopefully that won't happen again
Firemedicbkelly

Postby Swede » 09 15, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Firemedic; it seems I carry a pack sack full of mistakes with me whenever I go out hunting. Many are brand new, and a few are old stand bys that I bring out for that special moment. I think experience has lightened the load of errors I carry just a little, but I am still not running on empty. I hope you don't make that mistake again, but don't beat yourself up over it. I suspect you still have plenty to select from. lol
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Firemedicbkelly » 09 15, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Swede, unfortunately I will have all year to analyze that mistake, I live in Alabama and its 1400 miles one way to go hunting so he will be there next year hopefully. But on a good note I found a promising area to hunt next year and hopefully I won't make that rookie mistake again but I am sure I am just like you in the mistake department, I have plenty more to make! Haha
Firemedicbkelly

Postby JimKirk » 09 16, 2012 •  [Post 6]

I actually took a low shoulder shot when i could have shot just behind it. the resulting heart shot put the animal down in front of me after only 40 yards. I believe as long as you stay low in the shoulder the results are good. of course you need to be certain you can hit low. and yep if they get a good sniff of human scent, they would make a quick exit. I got busted 3 times this year with two resulting in barks and exiting fast. I did have one treestand experience where several cows came in downwind. they never saw me but I could tell didn't like what was hitting their noses and several times made short bolts but would then stop for another air check.
JimKirk

First Name: kirk