Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

BowElkDwn Gets It Done!!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

BowElkDwn Gets It Done!!

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 14, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Yep, Paul Jr. scores! Photos & story to follow!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Re: Bowelkdown Gets It Done!!

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 09 14, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Congrats to Paul (Jr.)! Way to get it done. Looking forward to the story and pics. The phrase "worse than wolves" certainly applies. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 09 14, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Congrats to Paul Jr. Well done to both of you.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby wapitibowman » 09 14, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Congrats to Paul Jr. Nice work up North!!

Wapitibowman
wapitibowman

First Name: R
Last Name: E

Postby dotman » 09 15, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Congrats, let's see some pics :)
dotman

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 16, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Here's a couple photos!!

ElkNut1
Attachments
DSCN1952.jpg
DSCN1952.jpg (165.73 KiB) Viewed 8584 times
DSCN1966.jpg
DSCN1966.jpg (181.38 KiB) Viewed 8584 times
DSCN1972.jpg
DSCN1972.jpg (168.71 KiB) Viewed 8584 times
DSCN1969.jpg
DSCN1969.jpg (194.41 KiB) Viewed 8584 times
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Swede » 09 16, 2012 •  [Post 7]

That bull was in great shape. Looks like a lot of good eating there.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Magic » 09 16, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Well now Congrats are in order for both of you.

But, I am a softie for Father/Son teams, and not just when hunting.
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D

Postby JimKirk » 09 16, 2012 •  [Post 9]

way to go guys. you not only bagged two great bulls you harvested another season of great memories!!!!
JimKirk

First Name: kirk

Postby JimKirk » 09 16, 2012 •  [Post 10]

oh yeah, you two are 'worse than wolves' !! :D
JimKirk

First Name: kirk

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 17, 2012 •  [Post 11]

Thanks guys!!!

Magic, yes, a father son team is very special indeed!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby cnelk » 09 17, 2012 •  [Post 12]

Thats some awesome teamwork there! Congrats!
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby BowElkDwn » 09 17, 2012 •  [Post 13]

I finally have time to write a little of what happened. I'm sure Elknut with elaborate.

We went into an area that is about 3 miles off the road and usually holds elk. Elknut had been doing some calling off vantage points that we usually get answers from. Nothing was talking. So we kept moving in deeper and deeper. Still nothing. It was getting about 9:30 and still hadn't heard anything. It was about time to turn back and Elknut as usual says lets go a little farther. I looked at him like are you kidding you know we will have to pack one out of this hole if we knock one down and he say's what would you rather be sitting on the couch, lets go and if you kill one we will worry about getting him out then. So we keep going and sure enough get one to sound off way down the mountain. Well of course now we have to drop down even further. We get down to where we think we heard the bugle and the bull doesn't call again. So we're sitting on a rock and Elknut starts bugling and bugling and bugling. No response. After about 10 minutes we start hearing some twigs pop and think its just squirels but it keeps getting louder and louder. Finally I move up about 30 yrds and sure enough I can hear something moving through the alders. I get an arrow knocked and ready. I see tips of antlers coming through the alders. This is like 15 minutes after the calling began. He comes into about 40 yrds and just sits there looking up at the calling. I am ready for him to break out into the open at any time. Instead he turns and takes off after about 3-4 minutes. I look back at my dad and he has the wind checker out and the wind is going the other way. He puts up his hands like he has no idea why that bull left. We sat there for a minute or two and could hear that the bulls had only gone about 50-60 yrds in the brush and is just walking back and forth. So the calling continues. Bugles only. It is probably another 10 minutes of that and he finally comes into that same area where he had been before. About then off to my right another bull (five point) is running in he get to about 30 yrds and facing me. I wait for his head to turn and draw my bow, too far for a frontal shot so I'm waithing for him to turn about that time I hear the other bull start moving up the hill towards the calling. I see him at 23 yrd and he breaks into the open. Strong quartering to me mostly frontal shot. I wheel around about 40 degrees and put it right in front of the front shoulder and release. The bull ducks a little as he takes off and I hit him a bit higher than I wanted but still a real hard hit. I see him turn and run about 30 yards and does a nose plant into the alders. He ragains his composer and gets up and takes off. I hear him go about another 100 yards and stop. Then it sounded like I could just hear thrashing. I looked up at my dad and kinda said a little high but I think good. About that time I heard the unmistakable gurgling sound. Death moan. As we sat there and talked about what happened and waited 35 minutes the other bull that was there kept giving the nervous/popping grunt probably 15-20 times. We started the tacking job and didn't find much blood but did find a 1/4 of my arrow busted off. We started going to where I heard the thrashing and Elknut say's there he is laying right where I last heard him.. Awsome time and great patience to wait this one out. Some high fives and then the packing began but that is a whole nother story. The arrow went in and blew up the top of the lungs and was sitting in the guts. A quick kill just the kind I like. It was probably only 10 seconds from the time I shot to when I heard the gurgling.
Attachments
DSCN1950.JPG
BowElkDwn
ElkNut Pro Staff

Postby >>>---WW----> » 09 17, 2012 •  [Post 14]

Nice going there Paul II. Can't let Pop out do ya. LOL!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby pointysticks » 09 17, 2012 •  [Post 15]

great story!!

my brother and i joked about finding you and dad and sneaking some GPS locator on you guys!! must be wonderful to know the area..

just seeing a down tree, makes the scars on my legs itch..your local elk love the brutal terrain..well done, congrats to you both.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby pointysticks » 09 17, 2012 •  [Post 16]

btw..it is slightly more than annoying that your local grocery store has a better hunting department than any hunting store i have in my area.

it was stunning!! i couldn't find stupid wind-checker here at home!! in McCall? hmmm..let's get some tortillas, eggs..oh, wind-checker! i even liked the surly man behind the counter..hahah.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Neitz » 09 17, 2012 •  [Post 17]

Nice work Medels!

When you guys knew the bull was around, but he wouldn't answer back, what type of bugles were you using? Just locators or were you being more aggressive? And why no cow calls?
Thanks.

Once again, outstanding work on getting two great public land OTC bulls in the dirt.
Neitz

First Name: Donn
Last Name: N

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 18, 2012 •  [Post 18]

Pointysticks, LOL!!

Elkhunter, very,very cool!!

Neitz, No we weren't using locater's to establish ourselves in the area, we already knew there was a bull within earshot! We just didn't know exactly where? (grin) It's very thick country & you cannot see very far into it at all so we go mainly by there sound while moving towards or around us. I chose bull sounds in a cold calling fashion to "peak curiosity" since they were not returning my calls. I figured I'd play up a new bull in the area advertising himself in a displaying mode, this just alerts other bulls & cows in the area there's a new bull around. Since elk are a herd animal this can interest them to come in & check you out to see who you are? This is a non-intimidation method! Doesn't mean cow calling would not have brought them in, I just chose another route that most hunters would not use. All these areas are hunted & we had just crossed a set of boot prints not far from where we were! Sometimes being unique can be rewarding!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby loopmtz » 09 18, 2012 •  [Post 19]

Good job!
loopmtz

First Name: Jody
Last Name: Martinez

Postby caperoll/Scott » 09 19, 2012 •  [Post 20]

Nice job, congrats
Cape Roll / Scott Ward
(208)-329-0329
http://www.caperoll.com
caperoll/Scott
Site Sponsor

Postby Gevärssmed » 09 19, 2012 •  [Post 21]

Great job Gentleman!! Good looking animal for sure!
Gevärssmed

First Name: K
Last Name: Swanson

Postby POk3s » 09 19, 2012 •  [Post 22]

Love it! Congrats guys! Bugling is all that the bulls would answer or come into last weekend in my area as well. Boy do I love September. Get nothing but pics of people killing stuff on my phone and then get on the computer to read all the stories and see more pictures!
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby PREZ » 09 20, 2012 •  [Post 23]

Very nice. Congrats.
PREZ

First Name: Steve
Last Name: Preziosi