Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Intro/Elk Behavior Q

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Intro/Elk Behavior Q

Postby Panhandle Archer » 09 14, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Hey everyone, I have been lurking in the shadows of this forum for the last month or so and finally signed up so that I could join in the conversation.

I'm hunting up in the Panhandle region of Idaho, and have put in a few days and many miles already this season. I hunted the opener through the weekend (6-9) and I have been sneaking out after work this last week to listen for bugles. Last week the temps were higher, and the woods seemed to shut down by about 9-- with no major evening activity. We were able to get into them nearly every day out. Had a couple of bulls give lone locater/herding bugles, but have yet to hear any get really fired up. Excited cow talk, herd talk, squeals, etc... have failed to produce any action so far. At least we have been in them though (have had two cows stop within 30 yards and practically pose for textbook shots... but, alas, they are not on the menu this year).

What have your experiences been? Same/different? I'm hoping that the cooler temps, lack of moon, and hormones will make this weekend exciting.

What do you guys do when the elk don't want to engage? Usually I resort to attempting spot/stalks, glassing travel routes, etc... but it's not nearly as much fun as getting the big boys fired up.

I'm looking forward to sharing stories and strategies with the rest of you. And, of course, Elknut is the man! Thanks for sharing your knowledge and providing a forum for fellow elk-addicts.
Panhandle Archer

First Name: Matt
Last Name: Kelso

Re: Intro/Elk Behavior Q

Postby Swede » 09 14, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I may hear a whole chorus of howls on this, but I believe we need to look beyond weather and moon phase to explain a lot of elk bugling, wallowing, and to a certain degree, even their movement. This August and early September have been unusually hot. Still, I heard several bulls bugle in late August. In fact I heard more than normal. I don't believe it is a weather issue. We were in an area with more bulls than we usually have, and that is all. What puzzles me is that none of the wallows, I am familiar with, were hit this year. No one in out party found an active wallow, except for one that showed where something lightly stired in it. There was nothing of significance. If elk wallow more when the weather is hot, then this year should have been a great time to sit over a wallow. It definently was not. I killed a bull on the sixth day of the season which I believe would have wallowed where I was waiting if I did not interupt him. I can't be sure what he would have done, but he was heading that way. Four other hunters in the party had no opportunity to shoot any bull over a wallow.
The full moon gets a lot of blame for people not seeing big game. I am very skeptical of there being a significant coorelation between elk movement and moon phase. This year, just like several others, was a time when I shot my elk on the eve of a full moon. My friend shot his buck only a few minutes earlier.
I know that when it is hot the elk head to places where the temperatures are cooler. When it is very cold they will come out where thay can pick up a little warmth. Beyond that, just go hunting.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Intro/Elk Behavior Q

Postby Panhandle Archer » 09 14, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I agree that weather/moon are not definitive standards for elk activity/movement. However, that said, my experience leads to believe that they are certainly factors. During full moon phases (w/out cloud cover at night) I tend to notice most activity occurring w/in the first hour of light and the last hour of light. Weather... I'm not sure how much of a role it plays, other than the fact that I hate being out mid-day when its 90+ degrees out. Not only do I not feel like moving and stinking up my area, but I also worry about meat spoilage. I too have yet to find an "active" wallow, and I have checked out most of the spots that I remember from years past in my area. Not sure what the significance, if any, there is.

And of course, regardless of the "moon phase", I am in the woods as much as possible. However, since the opening (6th), I have seen elk, found lots of elk sign (scat, rubs, beds, etc), but I have not seen any indicators of rutting behavior other than a few lone locator/herding bugles. Doesn't prevent me from hunting, of course! But, in light of these factors I hunted accordingly. Not sure what to expect this weekend, but I'm excited to see how it plays out. And, should I not be able to connect I'll be in the woods next wednesday through the weekend. Weather/moon/whatever I'll be on the chase.
Panhandle Archer

First Name: Matt
Last Name: Kelso