Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Gearing back up

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Gearing back up

Postby Bullnuts » 09 12, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Heading back to elk country on Wednesday the 19th for another try. Kids have to stay home because they've already missed too much school and I don't want to get arrested, so it'll be just me and one trusted friend. We're heading back to a spot where I left a couple big herds two weeks ago, and I'm hoping the muzzleloader guys didn't bust the big bull that was boss of the area. A cold front is moving through CO today, but it's supposed to be back in the high 70s next week, so it'll be pleasant. Mountains look like they're getting some snow and I'm hoping that the ground will be a little moist to help soak up some of the noise. It's like opening day all over again! Can't wait!
same plane.wclaspell.7-29-11.JPG
same plane.wclaspell.7-29-11.JPG (167.19 KiB) Viewed 3178 times
Bullnuts

Re: Gearing back up

Postby >>>---WW----> » 09 12, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Go get um Bill. I know you can do it.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Bullnuts » 09 12, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Thanks guys. I just love to be out there and I hate sitting here on the couch watching the Rocks lose when I know I should be out in the woods chasing those big yellow critters!
Bullnuts

Postby Bullnuts » 09 23, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Tough 5 days! Bulls were as silent as ghosts, weather was warm, and add to that the elk had all become horribly call shy! We didn't see an elk in the first 3 days but had one coming in on day one, only to be busted by the wind. The second day we had one bull, which I've named the Chuckler, chuckle at us a few times, come half way in, and then turn tail when he didn't see any cows. We finally found some elk last night and I called the Chuckler out of the timber at about 800 yards. He's a big 6, and he didn't get that way by being stupid. He came in, stopped on top of a hill that overlooked where we were calling from, and then turned around and walked back into the timber. Smart bull - I hope he dies from old age. We had a spike and a 4 point come in this morning and I had the bigger bull at 60 yards but the shot was tight and I didn't feel good about it, so he walked. We saw tons of fresh sign but just couldn't seem to locate the elk that with it, so we'll call it a season. 332 more days...
Bullnuts

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 24, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Way to give it all you had Bill, that's all a guy can do!! At least you were able to head back out for a few days & take in many more memories!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Bullnuts » 09 24, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Thanks Paul. We put in a lot of miles and I'm satisfied that we gave it all we had. I'm happy that I was able to interpret the sign that we were seeing and make some good decisions that finally put on the elk. I would have loved to have another 3 days, but that's the way it goes. I still loved every minute of it and had a great time with my son.
Bullnuts

Postby Swede » 09 24, 2012 •  [Post 7]

I am sorry you did not connect on the Chuckler, but the 332 days to wait really hurts. Maybe the old boy will be there next year. Not only will he be smarter, but you will be also. Good Luck.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Bullnuts » 09 25, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Thanks Swede. Gonna be a long year of eating chicken, but that will make next year all that much sweeter!
Bullnuts

Postby >>>---WW----> » 09 26, 2012 •  [Post 9]

I wish you would have tagged out on that big old boy. Maybe next year you can arrange for more time in the timber. I'll bet he will be there waiting for you.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Bullnuts » 09 26, 2012 •  [Post 10]

If he stays put through the rifle seasons he will be Bill. He's in a back bowl that few will venture into and I just hope he comes back next year. As dry as it's been a lot of the elk were down low in the hay fields and hanging next to the river. The lady at the store in town said that they were seeing elk in the neighborhoods for the first time in a long time, so unless we get some major snow this winter to help green things up next year is going to be really tough.
Bullnuts