Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Story-2012 Bull--ElkNut

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Story-2012 Bull--ElkNut

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 12, 2012 •  [Post 1]

I felt it was best to start a new Topic to make it easier to find the story instead of having to dig through the last Topic? This story here will show that calling ourselves is not always what leads to success, sometimes you have to switch gears & let the elk do most the talking when possible, especially so on heavily hunted public land OTC hunts as was this one! This bull had been harassed mostly from a distance by other hunters because of the difficulty in which he chose to live! The terrain, downfall & very thick underbrush can be brutal at times & most hunters will stay away from it, everytime we go in this area we say it's the last time!! (grin) Guess what, we were lured back in!! (grin) In this photo you can see how thick it can be, my Son (bowelkdown) is only yards in front of me & look how thick this stuff is, there are elk beds all through it!

ElkNut1
Attachments
DSCN1890.JPG
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Re: Story-2012 Bull--ElkNut

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 12, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Here's a bed in this stuff! It makes you wonder how they can even get in & out of it but they sure do!! There were beds all over this area inside! To hunt these elk you must wait for them to emerge from it to feed & water!

ElkNut1
Attachments
DSCN1889.JPG
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 12, 2012 •  [Post 3]

This is exactly how we hunt this particular area, we try to spot elk by glassing when possible or call to them to give away their position when glassing isn't a good option so we know where they are! We spotted this Bull a week ago the same day the above photos were taken, we stopped for a snack high up on the mountain over looking a small bench that runs North & South. Here's a photo of the opening my Son first spotted him in at 10am, he was feeding in this small meadow for 15-20 minutes before he disappeared! This meadow is right next to a natural mineral lick, this is the same mineral lick that I showed a couple years ago in the Scouting Elk Country DVD. I mentioned then that elk love hitting this area morning & evening but it's difficult to get there & hunt!

First photo is the mineral lick & second photo is the meadow the bull was 1st seen in.

ElkNut1
Attachments
DSCN1897.JPG
DSCN1897.JPG (231.17 KiB) Viewed 8656 times
DSCN1893.JPG
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 12, 2012 •  [Post 4]

We are now a week later! This time we start hunting aprox 2 miles above where this bull was last seen. We are considering a higher spot to hunt that morning but after calling with location bugles several times & not receiving any response we decide to drop lower in hopes of hearing a bull. We dropped aprox a mile in distance & my Son Bugled & we heard a very distant bugle coming from the direction of that meadow, we found out later he was actually bugling well below it, so we heard this bull at a great distance away! We moved his direction as quick as the terrain would allow, as we got closer we could hear two bulls, we did not call anymore, instead we had a feeling that the bull was going to end up on that bench & possibly move through the meadow as he'd done in the past, this was also an escape route. That was our only chance at this bull, no way would we have an opportunity outside of that meadow because of the thick alders & underbrush as shown in above photos that surround it.

As we raced down that mountain we could hear the bulls bugling now & then at each other, we knew somehow we had to beat them to that meadow or our chance would be lost. The closer we got the more we were confident that the bull was doing what we'd hoped, he was heading right toward the meadow!!!! We could hear him coming & bugling from our right as we caught sight of the meadow but the bull was still 400-500 yards out coming towards our left. Our last 300yds to cover to get position was extremely noisy & rough as he'll to get down there! (grin) We were concerned that we made so much noise we would be heard but we had no choice & gambled he was still to far to hear well plus he was pre-occupied with this other bull.

We made it before him & now are just above the mineral lick aprox 35 yds it's below us & to our right! There is a trail or three that come into the lick & the small meadow, we didn't know which he would use? As we awaited his arrival we noticed with our wind detector that the wind was very iffy!!! It was heading towards the meadow & ever so slightly moving to our left, this was good but not real good as it seemed to hover in the meadow, we knew we had to take him before he or any elk hit the middle of that small meadow or we would be winded! This means we had about a 50yd window where he would come from the right side of the meadow towards the middle of it!

I really had hoped he didn't have cows because they would show 1st & that could blow the whole thing if they skirted into that meadow, we would be busted???? As the bull is now a 150yds out in the alders, he screams a lip bawl & a few seconds later another, I looked at my son & said CRAP!!! He's got cows & is rushing them ahead of him, sure enough within 30 seconds two cows emerge right into the lick area, they seemed nervous & scooted through it & headed across the meadow instead of through it!!! Wow, what a stroke of luck there! Then two more cows & two more, all scooted across the meadow instead of through it, our luck was holding out!!! Now we only hoped they didn't continue to our left or we would hear a "bark" game over!!! We didn't hear it, but did hear the bull bugle just a few yards in the alders, it was earth shattering, he was coming out & I could hear him give a 1/2 dozen glunks while still in the cover, to say I was excited with anticipation just desperately wanting to see him & to see if it was the same bull we spotted a week previously would be an understatement! (grin) I had an arrow knocked with that new Viper Trick & was trying to control my breathing, my release was hooked up & I was staring intently through my bow to break up my outline a bit, my son & I were feet apart on a slab of granite rock 30' high or so above the meadow floor so we had elevation on him. I was waiting for him to show & was very tense & awaiting the exact moment to draw so as not to be seen by him, I did not pay any attention to the cows. My son had his rangefinder out to get the exact distance although I had ranged several spots previous to his entrance, the plan was if he was walking I was to stop him with a nervous grunt for the shot & Paul would range him then, Paul was also trying to video here. I see his antlers emerge from the brush & I draw right then, as he quickly walks out he stops abruptly broadside looking in the direction of the cows & not at us, I am praying the wind holds up all this time!! (grin) I settle my 3 pins on him & ask Paul very quietly "how far"? He says 50yds, I hold a bit high because my 3rd pin is set at 40yds, I squeeze the trigger & see the arrow in slow motion heading right at him & smack!!! He hits the ground in a heap!! I'm stunned for a second not believing I hit him high? He's thrashing violently on the ground & I quickly knock another arrow & Paul says he's still 50yds hit him again, of course I was already in the process, I aim & fire & send an arrow through his lungs & clip his heart, this puts him down for good & shortly expires! WOW!!! What a rush guys! We were very fortunate for all of this to come together & work out!!! He is a great bull for this heavily hunted area, as you can see calling isn't needed at times to take elk, this was one of them!!
Attachments
DSCN1919.jpg
DSCN1919.jpg (171.15 KiB) Viewed 8642 times
Brenda's Pick.jpg
Brenda's Pick.jpg (209.41 KiB) Viewed 8642 times
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Harmy » 09 12, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Awesome. Very thick stuff. Similar to what I face in my area with 5 foot tall undergrowth. At least I don't have alders though.
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Postby easeup » 09 12, 2012 •  [Post 6]

awesome report !!!!
congrats again!
easeup

Postby cazador75 » 09 12, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Congrats on a great bull.
cazador75

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 09 12, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Outstanding hunt Paul, great write up about how everything transpired, and lastly.... another beautiful bull taken by Mr. Elknut OTC on public land! Congrats to you and Paul junior on a great hunt. So, did you clip the bull's spine with the first arrow? RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Vanish » 09 12, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Way to go Paul. You guys must have your area nailed down!
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Story-2012 Bull--ElkNut

Postby slim9300 » 09 12, 2012 •  [Post 10]

Great story Paul. Way to go!
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 09 12, 2012 •  [Post 11]

Great job on a great OTC bull. Congrats! Now you have to help bowelkdown fill his tag.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Chukarhunter » 09 12, 2012 •  [Post 12]

Congratulations on a great bull, Paul. Just goes to show how important knowing your hunt area is. You knew exactly where that bull was going, and where you had to go to meet up with him!!
Chukarhunter

First Name: Bill

Postby dito » 09 12, 2012 •  [Post 13]

Great story, great bull!
dito

First Name: Armando
Last Name: Vigil

Story-2012 Bull--ElkNut

Postby Croakerslinger » 09 12, 2012 •  [Post 14]

Sounds like a great hunt , especially with your son , congrats and nice bull!
Croakerslinger

First Name: John
Last Name: Shepard

Postby bullrub » 09 12, 2012 •  [Post 15]

Thanks Paul for the great blow by blow story of your hunt. It was great.
bullrub

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Winters

Postby Bullnuts » 09 12, 2012 •  [Post 16]

Wow! Good looking bull in a tough spot! Great job guys!
Bullnuts

Postby lovestobowhunt » 09 12, 2012 •  [Post 17]

Great story and a beautiful elk! I thought Oregon only had that thick kinda stuff to hunt in :)

Colette
lovestobowhunt

First Name: Colette
Last Name: Roth

Postby POk3s » 09 12, 2012 •  [Post 18]

Awesome job guys! Gotta love that father son tandem! How's the video? any chance we'll get a peak?!
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby Magic » 09 12, 2012 •  [Post 19]

Congrats Paul on a terrific Father/Son hunt. The bull ain't bad either. ;)
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D

Postby Elktracker » 09 12, 2012 •  [Post 20]

Nice job guys! Great bull! I like the fact that you dont try to make him look bigger than he is by posting pictures with arms out stretched with you behind him! He is a nice bull! I dont know why but it bugs me when guys do that because its hard to get a real idea of the size of the bull lol. Way to make it happen now you just need to get Paul JR a bully!

Josh
Elktracker

Postby erichunter14 » 09 12, 2012 •  [Post 21]

You sure know how to tell a story Paul! What a bull! How does he compare to your biggest to date?
erichunter14

Postby wapitibowman » 09 12, 2012 •  [Post 22]

Great story and fantastic bull!! Great job.
wapitibowman

First Name: R
Last Name: E

Postby loopmtz » 09 13, 2012 •  [Post 23]

Awesome, good job!
loopmtz

First Name: Jody
Last Name: Martinez

Postby elkaholic » 09 13, 2012 •  [Post 24]

Awesome bull! Congrats Paul!
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 13, 2012 •  [Post 25]

Thanks everyone!! Yes, it was a fun day that morning & now it's Bowelkdowns turn!! (grin) We should be out shortly on his hunt! I really look forward to that one too! This bull is right up there with the best of them I've taken to date but I haven't put a tape to him yet!

Yes, those photos are normal ones, I'm not back trying to make him look larger that life, he was plenty big as is! He's a very nice bull! We are putting some short clips together of the hunt & will share them here! You can hear this guy several times giving some great lip bawls very close by trying to urge his cows through, it is very cool! Thanks!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Sivart » 09 13, 2012 •  [Post 26]

Great story, Paul. How long was the packout?
Sivart

First Name: Travis
Last Name: Scott

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 13, 2012 •  [Post 27]

The packout was aprox 2 miles, little over an hour each way from where elk died. Packed out in two trips!

ElkNut1
Attachments
Good one.jpg
Good one.jpg (255.99 KiB) Viewed 8382 times
DSCN1939.jpg
DSCN1939.jpg (220.58 KiB) Viewed 8382 times
DSCN1925.jpg
DSCN1925.jpg (226.53 KiB) Viewed 8383 times
DSCN1926.jpg
DSCN1926.jpg (234.72 KiB) Viewed 8383 times
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby gagodfrey » 09 15, 2012 •  [Post 28]

What Eberlestock pack is that? Is that the Just One or the Blue Widow?
gagodfrey

First Name: Greg
Last Name: Godfrey

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 15, 2012 •  [Post 29]

Both packs my Son & I are wearing are the Eberlestock X2 -- They are tough as they come for a 2200-2400" pack! If interested in them contact Hardcore Hunting here on this Forum (Dan) That's where we picked ours up several years ago, he's a great guy to deal with!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Swede » 09 15, 2012 •  [Post 30]

Elknut, what a great story, and very educational, especially for relatively new hunters. I always enjoy these accounts a lot. They reveal more than what may meet the eye of some folks. Let me point out and emphasize a couple things that your story reminds me of. Much of your success, in addition to knowing how to generally hunt elk, is due to knowing the elk's habits for that location. You point out, that you believed the elk would come to a particular location, which you and Paul Jr. raced to get to first. A newbie to that area would not have known the elk normally follow a certain route. By having a lot of experience there, you had a huge advantage.
You also have an understanding of the effects that other hunters have had on those particular elk. My estimate is that at least 90% of us hunters, in your situation would have tried to call in the bulls, and the other 10% would have only guessed where to go. It was by knowing that particular area very well, that you knew they are "call shy". From experience, you knew to call just enough to locate the bull, and then let him do his elk thing. You wanted him to have no more thought of you. That was the perfect receipe for that situation.
As hunters we need to learn to adapt for each hunting location. I admit that I too have a huge advantage in hunting the National Forest area where I go, and knowing the elk. I point this out so others can benefit from what may be obvious to the more experienced elk hunters. The need to learn our area and adapt to it, is not unique to only a select few. We all need to learn and adapt. Read Paul's book. Watch his video, but learn to adapt to your situation.
Another factor that comes into play, that Paul doesn't directly speak to, is confidence. Paul and Paul Jr. ooze confidence. They do not need to say that. Confidence is knowing that you are doing the right thing, though factors beyond your control can sometimes mess you up. When a plan fails, you do not get discouraged. You just start over. Confidence understands that sooner or later everything is going to come together and an elk is going to be on your pack frame. Confidence will keep you hunting long after others have gone home. I see that every year, even in my camp.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby gagodfrey » 09 15, 2012 •  [Post 31]

Wow...the X2 really handles a load well. I was pretty much dead set on picking up the Blue Widow, but now i need to look harder at the X2. Thanks Paul.
gagodfrey

First Name: Greg
Last Name: Godfrey

Postby Dor » 09 16, 2012 •  [Post 32]

Congrats Paul! Excellent bull!
Dor

Postby Haulin'Quarters » 09 22, 2012 •  [Post 33]

Good story, good pictures, and great Idaho public land bull Paul. Just goes to show what knowledge, hard work, and patience can do. Thanks for all the advise you give to us all. Congratulations on your 2012 elk.
Haulin'Quarters