Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

The Lowest of Lows . . .

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

The Lowest of Lows . . .

Postby LckyTylr » 09 10, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Well, I'm sure that most of you have noticed my constant questions and quest for elk knowledge. Recap - I have been archery hunting deer for 12 years and I have killed 11 deer with a bow and about the same with a firearm. I started archery elk hunting 3 seasons ago and didn't draw my bow once. I have finally arrived at a point where I feel that I have the knowledge, determination, equipment and location to get it done. I spent a LOT of money on gas, spent a lot of time away from my family, and hiked many many miles in search of a honey-hole. I finally found it!

I found a place around New Meadows, ID that is just shredded with elk sign. I led my buddy up to his first elk on opening weekend (a spike). The whole place reeks of elk, most of the grass is cut up and the dirt is churned up from all of the elk hooves. Yesterday morning, I was on the ridge surrounding a bowl and using my binos to locate animals as they weren't bugling in the daylight yet. After briefly being pinned down because of a short lightning storm, I got back onto the ridge and spotted two bulls all the way in the bottom, so down my friend and I went. We literally bounced and ran down the mountain. 15 minutes later the bulls slipped into the timber and we arrived in the vicinity. I snooped around until I felt that if we went any further into the thick stuff, we would surely bump them and the game would be over. They weren't talking, and after a cold-calling setup with no results, I was out of ideas. My buddy suggested that he take a loop around the timbered knob we were on in hopes that they would flush out towards me. I thought it was pretty ridiculous because animals seldom go where you want them to. I said that I'm going to cover the lower trail as I had a hunch that it led to a better escape area than the upper trail, but my buddy insisted that I step back into the timber further so that I could cover both trails. I finally relented and agreed to split the difference between the trails. 15 minutes later, FOUR 5x5's or 6x6's came trotting by on the lower trail. With all of the cover and the quick walk that they maintained, I couldn't get a clear shot at any of them. If I had been on the bottom trail where I should have been, I'd have seen them coming and would have had several wide-open shooting lanes. Well, that's a bummer story of Coulda-Shoulda-Woulda's, but to be honest, seeing 4 big bulls in my bowl was pretty encouraging. Sure, I screwed up that opportunity, but I haven't seen another boot track anywhere above the road where I parked my truck, I literally have the entire place to myself and there are plenty of critters up there to chase. It's awesome.

Then I looked back up to the ridge trying to decide what I wanted to do. FIRE next ridge over!!! It was huge already, a big mushroom cloud billowing up into the air, and the wind was blowing it right to the saddle that I camped in. My buddy and I dropped all of the gear from our packs and beat feet up the mountain (2200 feet) in less than 30 minutes, packed up camp and retreated back down into the bowl to pick up the remainder of our gear. By the time a chopper and smoke jumpers arrived, it was too late. With high winds and little humidity, the fire was moving really fast, torching trees and spotting ahead badly. By the time we got out to the main road, the Forest Service had closed the entire area to all traffic until the fire is contained. It started yesterday morning around 08:00 and currently it's over 9,000 acres and gaining fast.

All of my hard work is for naught it seems. I'm trying really hard to keep reminding myself that we did pull my buddy's spike out of there, but I REALLLLLLY wanted to kill my first elk this year. Half way through the season, with no backup plans, I'm pretty much shooting in the dark this next weekend. I don't know where any other elk are, I'm starting from scratch with no prior knowledge. To make things worse, I don't even have a hunting partner this next weekend, so if I somehow manage to find elk, I'm going to have to be really cognizant of where I shoot one because the pack-out will be 100% solo.

I guess I'm just discouraged and overwhelmed. I'm sure some of you can relate to the amount of effort, energy and money that I have put fourth this year to ensure that I finally make it happen, and now I don't see how it's going to. I'm still going to go out and wander around in hopes that I find another pocket of elk with few hunters, but those places are few and far between.

Ugh. . . . . . . . . :? :(
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Re: The Lowest of Lows . . .

Postby Swede » 09 10, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Friend, I can relate to what you are going through. It may be easy to get discouraged, but don't. Even if you don't get an elk , you will learn a lot by staying out there.
I have killed elk on the last day of the season, at the last hour. I have killed a lot of my elk during the last week of the season. Late in the archery season the elk move around more as the rut builds, and they sound off more. I like the first week of the season the best, but the last week is almost as good. You can learn a lot on forums like this, and reading books, or watching videos, but nothing replaces experience in the elk woods.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby LckyTylr » 09 11, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Good points Swede. I guess I'm most frustrated because I never fail at anything, I simply won't allow myself to stop short of a goal. 3 years ago I wanted to go elk hunting and have some sightings, mission accomplished. 2 years ago I wanted to have some real encounters, Done! Last year I wanted to get in the game and stir things up, it was an off year as I couldn't find elk to begin with and they were NOT talking where I was hunting. Last year left me frustrated and determined to never have a slow season like that again and I committed myself to doing EVERYTHING in my power to get a bull on the ground. I have done that, short of tying one to a tree pre-season, I have done everything I could imagine. It just sucks to have all of your hard work taken away from you just after getting a taste of how sweet the reward would be. I'm going back out, I'm just not excited about my chances in an un-scouted location. Stupid FIRES!
LckyTylr

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 11, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Those elk won't go far if fire is contained reasonably quick! 9000 acres is not that huge! You should be able to locate them vocally or other bulls in the vicinity, the rut is just starting to pick up!! Keep your chin up those elk will not disappear, my areas have burned many many times!! Be persistent & stay away from pressured areas, you will succeed!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Lefty » 09 11, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I can relate to many of your comments. Elk hunting isnt just killing a bull, You have done much of your part and everything doesnt always fall in place as we want it to happen.
While the fire makes changes, compitition makes changes, the weather. Since your not a quiter, make lemonade and find satisfaction in other acomplishents scouting, your buddies kill.

But please for your sanity all your best efforts may not result in a 330 bull on your wall.
I believe in the "Journey" I could give you a list of "dissipointment" or frustrations"s by many hunters standards, but it is how you overcome those advirities that makes the hunt
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Bullnuts » 09 11, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Ah frustration! I've felt its nasty little hands around my throat more than once and have learned over the years that if I don't kill it, I won't enjoy anything about the hunt. It sucks that your main spot has been blown up, but this presents a great opportunity to look some other areas over. Like Elknut said, those elk won't go far and I would start looking at adjoining basins and drainages to find them again. They'll be close, within 5 miles of where you left them, so get back after them. If you don't find them, and you might not, you'll still see a ton of country, you'll see some other animals, and you'll have fun as long as you don't make killing an elk the only reason you're out there.
Bullnuts

Postby POk3s » 09 11, 2012 •  [Post 7]

I'm with everybody else as far as elk location. They won't be far. Plus you'll be learning more and more about your surrounding honey hole. Your one honey hole could now turn into a bunch of different drainages with good elk sign. You'll learn where they go when pressured which is what's happening right now. It may not be pressure from people or predators but they're still going to hole up somewhere they feel safe. Bingo you just figured out something new when you find them.

I will say this. Whenever I feel the slightest bit aggravated (which does happen...elk hunting isn't easy) I just remind myself...." I'm elk hunting. I've waited for this all year long. There is absolutely no reason to feel frustrated. I'm doing everything in my power to be successful. ENJOY IT"
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby ctdad » 09 11, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Hate to hear about your luck. If I were in your shoes, I'd be frustrated as well. Think about it this way: You won't be able to hunt again for a year (for elk anyway). Hunt hard, make the most of every moment and enjoy it. By the time December rolls around, you don't want to be saying woulda, coulda, shoulda.

You've already learned the types of areas your elk hang out in, so find similar areas nearby and they'll be there.
ctdad

Postby LckyTylr » 09 11, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Thanks guys. My first thought upon seeing the fire was "Hey, no big deal, if nothing else, this will push more animals into the surrounding basins that aren't affected by the fire or firefighters. Then I talked to a Forest Service person on the way out, they closed the ENTIRE ROAD SYSTEM on that side of the highway. All of those roads are only accessible from one main turn-off and the trails are non-motorized. Sooooo, when google-scouting this summer I purposely looked for locations that offered limited access to ensure that I'd have the least amount of two-legged competition as possible . . . . . . thereby shooting myself in the foot when that sole road is closed. I came in another way earlier in the summer, North of where I was hunting, but it was a 3.5 mile mtn bike ride and a 6 mile hike to get to where I started seeing sign. I would say that the fire would push the animals in that direction, but I couldn't find ANY water during that entire trek. Once I got to the water, I started seeing sign.

Anyways, TOO BAD . . . . . . . . So SAD!!!!

I had a moment of weakness and was feeling sorry for myself. You know what, I'm 27 and in really good shape. I'm thankful that I have full use of all of my appendages, I'm PROUD as HELL and blessed to be a US Citizen possessing the freedom to explore and hunt our beautiful country, and Dammit . . . . . . I am determined as can be to make the most of the remaining weekends that I have.

With the aid of Glorious-Google, I found several locations on the other side of the highway that look promising and difficult to access, so I'm headed there. If I don't find elk, I'm going to be in REALLLLLLLLY good shape to kill a mulie when I refocus for rifle season. I'm leaving Thursday after work and staying until Monday afternoon. My boss offered to let me take the Ranger to cover more ground . . . . . . but I need to find a trailer for it. Not sure if I need it anyways, but it sure will save some wear and tear on my truck. Still can't find a hunting partner to go with me for the weekend, as mine is headed back home to WY to hunt, so if anyone in ID has already killed their bull and would like to tag along, I'm driving!

SO, Let's GET IT ON!!! Right now, it's Elk: 1, Us: 1 . . . . . . . . I'm going to go for the win.

Thanks for the encouragement guys.
LckyTylr

Postby LckyTylr » 09 15, 2012 •  [Post 10]

Oh wow!

I spent all of last week pouring over USFS maps and Google Earth . . . . . scrambling to come up with a plan as my new honey hole is currently up in smoke after a lightning strike that I watched the day before my birthday.

Soooo, I found a set of three bowls on Google Earth peaking out around 8700 feet. They weren't too terribly difficult to get to, but I figured they'd be a pain in the butt to get out of, especially if I got a bull down. Oh well, that's what I was after, a place that few people would venture into, less competition. I loaded up and left Thursday afternoon and camped at my truck that night. Woke up early Friday morning and was somewhat discouraged that I hadn't heard a single bugle all night. Oh well. Took 2 1/2 hours to hike to the top of the first bowl and when I got there, I realized why the lake in the bottom of the bowl got it's namesake "Disappointment Lake". It's because when you get up there, after all of the driving, hiking and preparation, you realize that you would need climbing gear to get in and out safely. Sooo, back down the mountain I went. I looked over some maps and started checking off likely areas that I'd expect to find elk. Every area that I suspected to find elk, I found multiple hunting camps with 4-wheelers. I tried to get away from the crowds, but every time I got off a trail and hiked, I encountered a rocky cliff that I couldn't get down or up. Ugh . . . . . . FRUSTRATED. I saw 4 sets of cow/calf tracks that appeared to have been made sometime in the past week, but for all of the hiking that I did through the thick stuff, I couldn't find a single old rub, bedding area . . . . . . or any sign that elk use the area.

My season is slipping into the history books and I'm desperate. I would imagine that I can get my tag changed to a different unit, but I don't even know where to begin.

Does anyone have any Idaho suggestions. I'm going at it solo. My buddy that I helped get a spike is conveniently "unavailable" for the rest of the season. Funny how that works. Argghhhhh.
LckyTylr

Postby Bullnuts » 09 16, 2012 •  [Post 11]

Interesting problem. Can you access those bowls from the bottom or sides, or only from the top? If you can't get into them because of cliffs, the elk probably aren't in them either. How big is your unit and how much time do you have left? Are you bivvy hunting? You still have a lot of options left, but to start over in a new area with limited time and no scouting is a crap shoot so I'd stay in the area you have assigned and start looking again. I know it sounds hinky, but send me a link to what you're looking at with some coords on google earth - I don't hunt Idaho, so you're safe - and let's take a look at what you're up against.
Bullnuts