Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Gila Elk Hunting Report

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Gila Elk Hunting Report

Postby 32hunter » 09 10, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Ok guys just got back from my hunting trip to unit 16A in the Gila National Forest. WOW what a hunt!!! Started the day before the hunt with a long day of scouting. Seen a herd of 150 Elk crossing the road in front of us lead by a 400 class bull. Next was a nice 5x5 just down the road from camp. Then opening day just as it became light enough to see, me and my buddies hiked into a canyon where we had two bulls screaming at eachother. I started working in on the closest bull but they went quiet while we were about 300 yards away. I started cow calling and got one of the bulls to respond the only problem was he had moved to the next canyon. We cow called to him for about half an hour till he stopped responding. I moved a little higher in the canyon and set up and called for another 20 minutes. seeing no movement we decided to move to the canyon where we believed he was at. I got up and took three steps ond seen him 80 yards from me. I was out in the open and he was looking right at me. BUSTED!!!! It was a good start but a full moon, fresh burned forest, and very dry weather made finding them tough.
32hunter

First Name: Kurt
Last Name: Griego

Gila Elk Hunting Report

Postby Croakerslinger » 09 10, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Had a hard hunt like that last year, in 16B , around WhiteWater Baldy, It was still fun!
Croakerslinger

First Name: John
Last Name: Shepard