Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

How to approach hunt in heavily called area?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

How to approach hunt in heavily called area?

Postby whitingja » 09 10, 2012 •  [Post 1]

So I am heading out for my drop camp in the Weminuch wilderness in Colorado. There have been several guys in there already who I am sure have been calling left and right. No elk harvested as of yet. How should I approach this hunt? Obviously if they are bugling hard, I will attack. But what if they are quiet? Do I try to get them roaring or hunt quietly? Not sure how to hunt it. Are they too educated. Don't think the previous guys use mouth reeds. I do. Will that help with the educated elk? Sorry, I am asking alot of questions. Thanks
whitingja

First Name: jason
Last Name: whiting

Re: How to approach hunt in heavily called area?

Postby JimKirk » 09 10, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I did a backpack in the weiminuche this summer and saw several lonely bulls in basins. that area really lends itself to glassing because timber is often then and lots of alpine. I noted the animals liked the meadows with water as opposed to the rivers. I think they naturally love the meadows. that being said, on one of my cameras here, I got photos of hunters going in to the woods at dawn and returning 10-11 am and what did the elk do, well they worked their normal areas just at different hours. So my suggestion is also to hunt the noon to 3pm hours as I am now getting photos of elk using their normal areas at that time.
JimKirk

First Name: kirk

Re: How to approach hunt in heavily called area?

Postby whitingja » 09 10, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Good advice jimkirk...makes sense. I stay out all day, so that will work out for me.
whitingja

First Name: jason
Last Name: whiting