Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Highs and lows

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Highs and lows

Postby Firemedicbkelly » 09 08, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Well just finished my second season of elk hunting. My first ever shot opportunity happened on a nice Colorado OTC 5x5 bull. Called him in using some cow talk and he stopped slightly quartering to me at 25 yards. I steadied my pin and squeezed the trigger. The shot felt great and I never saw my arrow impact just heard the smack and he took off. I felt like it was a solid hit. It was one of the most exciting experiences of my life. I found my arrow just past where he was standing and that is when one of the lowest feelings I have ever had sank in. I picked up the arrow and saw my broadhead broke off and only about three inches of penetration. Checked the flight path and saw a small limb sticking out I couldn't see. I never found any blood and only a small amount was on the arrow. I searched for several hours for him but never found any sign. I pray it was not a mortal wound and he will be there next year. Thanks to all for all the tips and tactics you share. I really feel like what I learned from this forum helped me have a great opportunity at a nice bull. Good luck to those still at it.
Firemedicbkelly

First Name: Blake
Last Name: Kelly

Re: Highs and lows

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 09, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Thanks for sharing your experience with us! Yes, those elk are tough critters & can deny an arrow when hit in the Scapula/Shoulder Blade! That sounds most likely where the shot hit, been there & done that, I didn't like it either! (grin) Things can & do happen though, keep your chin up & good luck bud!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby eltaco » 09 09, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I just boned out a front shoulder bone a week ago and I do believe that bull will live on. That is one solid bone and the one I would guess you hit. My dad did the same thing with exactly the same result last year. His bull bugled back and forth with me for quite a while last year. Showed no indication of knowing he'd even been hit.

Sounds like you had the good fortune of getting into some elk, so although it was one bad experience for you, don't let it ruin the whole trip for you. I'm sure you had some great experiences!
eltaco

Postby Firemedicbkelly » 09 09, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I spent months preparing for this hunt and it was awesome! I am definitely an official elkaholic. It was a terrible feeling to think that elk may have died but I feel better about his chances of survival now. Can't wait till next season and learning all I can from all the veterans on this site
Firemedicbkelly

First Name: Blake
Last Name: Kelly