Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Lone Hunter Tactics

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Lone Hunter Tactics

Postby duckdog28 » 09 07, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Question; When doing cold calling setups by yourself, is it best to do a calling sequence and then quickly drop back down wind 30-50yds, or do you typically move up wind in an attempt to be where he is when he stops expecting to see an elk?
duckdog28

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Walter

Re: Lone Hunter Tactics

Postby Swede » 09 07, 2012 •  [Post 2]

One of the advantages of a cold calling setup is that you get to choose where you call from and go to wait after the calls are made. You also control the timing. I like to call from a location where it is unlikely or even impossible for the elk to come in from behind. Where I hunt, there are bluffs and large rock outcrops that I can move up close too. I like my back to those barriers and call when the wind is steady in my favor. Large openings, ponds, rivers and lakes at your back are good also when the wind id right. If the wind is rising be high on the mountain side. If the wind is descending get as low as possible. I normally don't move more than 20 yards from where I called from to squat down and wait. I want to be close to where the elk will come to. I just don't want him to detect me before it is too late.
Part of choosing a good cold calling location is having a likely location where elk will approach you from. Things like downed trees or trails can influence their path of travel. It is all about getting the odds in your favor.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Bullnuts » 09 07, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I've always pondered if the call and move thing would work, but most of the time the bulls I call are either coming in so hot that there's no time to move, or they come in dead silent and I don't even know they're there until they're right on top of me. Either way I've never found time to move. Also, I stop calling as soon as I know there's an elk coming in. They have exceptional radar and know exactly where the calls are coming from.
Bullnuts

Postby duckdog28 » 09 11, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Thanks gents
duckdog28

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Walter

Postby T/H » 09 14, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I have been the victim of hangups a lot because I didn't move after I called. This year I kept telling myself "call n move". I killed a nice 6point bull this year because I moved after I called,
T/H