Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Avg. Time for an Elk Appearance at a Wallow . . . ?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Avg. Time for an Elk Appearance at a Wallow . . . ?

Postby LckyTylr » 09 05, 2012 •  [Post 1]

I found a wallow last weekend that I had previously overlooked on scouting trips. Last Friday night, I saw a rag horn and a small 5x or 6x chasing each other around it. I sat at it all day the next day, but only saw deer. We stayed til dark, but no sign of elk. I can't imagine that the wind had much to do with it, as the deer were running all around us with no indication of scenting us.

Sooooo, do any of you know what an average time would be for elk appearances at a wallow. I know that I should have patience and sit it all day until I kill something, but I'm 26 and in really good shape, I can't sit still long enough to eat my lunch. Thanks for the help.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Re: Avg. Time for an Elk Appearance at a Wallow . . . ?

Postby Swede » 09 05, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I never focus on wallows. Their use is very unpredictable. I consider them an asset when they are along good, well used trails and near a good water hole. Consider wallows something like icing on a cake or something like that. Wherever you sit to wait for elk should have good sign of continous use, or you can get very bored. Look for recent and old rubs, fresh feces and tracks and the heavy scent of elk at a water hole. That is where I prefer to sit and just wait knowing time is working in my favor.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby JimKirk » 09 05, 2012 •  [Post 3]

my cameras have revealed a variety of results with the most consistent this time of the year being a visit every 3-4 days. it really seems hit or miss but all my bull pictures show some muddy critters so they are definitely hitting them. of course if there are multiple bulls in the area your chances go up dramatically. the cows are predictable when coming to water but those darn bulls are prospecting so much that bugling is the only way to locate what part of the mountain (s) they are currently hanging out.
JimKirk

First Name: kirk

Postby LckyTylr » 09 06, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Thanks Guys, that really helps. I'm likely not going to "sit" on a wallow now. I have a good vantage point that allows me to look into several different parks and I can see the wallow from there. If I catch these two in that wallow again, I'll bail off of there lickety split. I'm really hoping that they are a little more vocal this weekend. I didn't even hear a bugle at night time last weekend. Oh well, I know they are up there, my confidence is pretty high and I'm going to make things happen this season. :-)
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby Magic » 09 06, 2012 •  [Post 5]

There are many wallows. A bull will use the one in front of him.
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D

Postby eltaco » 09 06, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Between 30 seconds and 30 minutes on my trail cams. Average probably 5mins or less... and 100% random on my wallows this season. I very rarely see the same bull twice right now!
eltaco