Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

The Left Handed Tree Stand

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

The Left Handed Tree Stand

Postby Swede » 09 04, 2012 •  [Post 1]

A friend of mine who comes to hunt for a few days, complained that I set up only right handed tree stands. I gave a goofy answer, but realized he had a point. I raise the stand and hang it using my right hand. My right arm is stronger and I feel safer hanging the stands to my right. Since I pick a good tree above the water hole, and climb the tree on the high side, it always ends up being a right handed stand. For me it does not matter much at all if the elk comes in to my right or left; I can shoot it within reason. Even though the water hole I am watching over is to my left, I have shot many elk to my right.
As I got to thinking about this matter, I was wondering how much of a handicap it is for other tree stand hunters to shoot to their right if they are right handed and to the left if you are left handed? My friend could not shoot a 5x5 bull that was standing broadside at a 45 degree angle (10:30 on an imaginary clock) to his left at 15 yards. Would that be a problem for you?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: The Left Handed Tree Stand

Postby bullrub » 09 04, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I sure wouldn't think so, as long as you can turn your body enough. I have made shots behind the tree that the stand was hung on, right or left side :?: :?:
bullrub

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Winters

Postby stringunner » 09 04, 2012 •  [Post 3]

if one stands up to shoot I don't see how it is much of a problem. Unless the elk come in and one is not ready and therefore cannot stand up and adjust body position??? I really don't see how it would matter, but then again I haven't sat in them as long as others have, I'm still somewhat to new tree stand tactics.
stringunner

Postby easeup » 09 06, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I am lefty also.
so I speak as one who has been in the same boat and have found it to be important; enough that it caused me to lose confidence in my ability to shoot under all circumstances. He is correct if you try to shoot sitting in some cases. Looking back on it I would say it is because I have had almost no experience hunting from a tree stand (only done it two times). Here in West TX, there are no trees, so we hunt from a tripod or popup. Going to the rockies to hunt is a once a year deal. I found I was too scared to stand up to shoot. I guess it is because I had no been off the ground before like that.

I sit up my popup and tripod stands so I can sit shooting and of course they are placed with the lefty in mind according to the expected direction of the shot.

but some old dogs are still trainable...
easeup

Postby Swede » 09 06, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Easeup: Maybe you have squarely hit on the solution to the problem. I am going to have to ask my friend if he sits while shooting. I did not think of that because I always stand. I can sit and shoot, but have never had a situation where I felt I needed to remain seated. I would like to see other potential solutions to help my friend, but I am hopeful this may be a big step in the right direction. Thanks
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics