Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Our Hunt So Far!!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Our Hunt So Far!!

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 04, 2012 •  [Post 1]

My Son (bowelkdown) & I went out on opening morning as tradition, we haven't missed one since he was 12 years old! It was great as it always is! Paul Jr. hurt his wrist playing league softball so I was the starting shooter & he was the caller!

Aug 30 opening morning we heard aprox 25 bugles from 3 different bulls in our OTC Idaho unit. We were a 1/2 mile from them & were getting into small cow groups (unseen) that were bedded in the strangest non bedding grounds around! (grin) We did some cow talk & bugling, several of the cows were coming our way & we did not want that! We did our best to avoid them & get to the bulls location but it was slow & tough as we didn't want to send them off barking!We did hear several nervous grunts which was bad enough as it was! Two bulls in particular did most the calling, by the time we made it in the aprox area that they were they had moved up into the alder thickets just like they normally do. Once there, they are nearly impossible to approach! It appeared the bulls were near the cows but not gathering them, they were letting themselves be known though in the area! We ended up having several different cows in range & watched them shortly! We backed out after that as the winds starting swirling & it was late morning! We left them to come back 2 days later!

Sept-1 -- We get into the same area & approach from a different direction to avoid the cows. We hear the bulls talking again but this time before daylight they are already in the alders 1/4 mile above us! Once again they are nearly unapproachable. Paul Jr. trades a few bugles with them & the herd quality bull was belting it out pretty good but held his position, we used aggressive cow calling injected as well! We decided that maybe just maybe we would dare the hill with 12' high alders & blowdowns from previous fires, man is it nasty & noisy! WE made it down the hill we were on to the bottom where the alders begin, we are just about to enter them when a bull bugles 150yds up the hill from the alders!!! Wow, Paul had pulled one of the bulls our way & he was moving towards us, he was very noisy as you could hear him fighting the alders & such. I stayed in the small opening & went to a knee trying to anticipate is entrance out of this huge wall of alders? Paul went back 80yds or so & got with it with his "elk party" This bull wanted to be a part of it, no doubt about it! (grin) I could now hear him 40 yds ahead of me walking from my right to my left, I slowly twisted on my one knee that direction as Paul continued with a freestyle bugling, chuckling, groans approach, he was also tossing in lots of cow sounds & estrus buzz, the bull was coming, it took him a good 10 minutes to appear!! I saw his rack come through the alders first & instantly drew, he continued out looking in Pauls direction for all these elk, he stepped out further until broadside to me at 35yds, there was a patch of buck brush just in front of him & me but looked OK for a shot? I settled 35 & squeezed NO WAY!!!, the arrow caught a limb of brush & whistled over his back by inches!!!! NO WAY!!!! He tore off into the alders the way he had come! It was a great time & Paul Jr did a superb job coaxing the 5X6 in from that 1/4 mile away!

Sept-3-- Little to no bugling, we covered 5 miles or so that morning, saw 6 cows & avoided them in the brush. Paul spots a 310"-320" bull in a small meadow at 436yds out, he's unapproachable so we just watch him from up on a hill. This country we hunt is incredibly thick & can really suck at times with the alders & downfall! We have plans for this bull??? (grin) We will try for him, it will be best once a cow or two comes into estrus!!

Updates a coming!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Re: Our Hunt So Far!!

Postby Magic » 09 04, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Sounded exciting for sure. I have confidence that you will seal the deal. ;)
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D

Postby elkaholic » 09 04, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Sounds like you are having a great time! After a couple cows cycle things will get good. :D
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford

Postby bullrub » 09 04, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Have not heard one bull bugle yet this season. Have heard a lot of hunters trying to bugle. I was making a stalk on a group of elk so I could get closer. The wind was blowing pretty good and right at me. They had no clue I was there, as I watch 4 cows and calf feeding. Then the rest of the herd that I could see busted. The cows and calf I was watching all looked at what was going on and took off with the rest of the herd. I thought I was the one that spooked them. Then I heard this bugle from above me. So I got around where I could see, and seen this guy on top just above where the elk were. He bugle for a soild 15 mins. without stoppng. I know because I sat there and watch him until he left, then I left. What a bummer. :cry: :cry:
bullrub

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Winters

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 09 04, 2012 •  [Post 5]

bullrub wrote:Have not heard one bull bugle yet this season. Have heard a lot of hunters trying to bugle. I was making a stalk on a group of elk so I could get closer. The wind was blowing pretty good and right at me. They had no clue I was there, as I watch 4 cows and calf feeding. Then the rest of the herd that I could see busted. The cows and calf I was watching all looked at what was going on and took off with the rest of the herd. I thought I was the one that spooked them. Then I heard this bugle from above me. So I got around where I could see, and seen this guy on top just above where the elk were. He bugle for a soild 15 mins. without stoppng. I know because I sat there and watch him until he left, then I left. What a bummer. :cry: :cry:

What a dumb a$$. You shoulda climbed up to where he was and thrown a rock at him :evil:
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby POk3s » 09 04, 2012 •  [Post 6]

bullrub wrote:Have not heard one bull bugle yet this season. Have heard a lot of hunters trying to bugle. I was making a stalk on a group of elk so I could get closer. The wind was blowing pretty good and right at me. They had no clue I was there, as I watch 4 cows and calf feeding. Then the rest of the herd that I could see busted. The cows and calf I was watching all looked at what was going on and took off with the rest of the herd. I thought I was the one that spooked them. Then I heard this bugle from above me. So I got around where I could see, and seen this guy on top just above where the elk were. He bugle for a soild 15 mins. without stoppng. I know because I sat there and watch him until he left, then I left. What a bummer. :cry: :cry:

I think that's when I hike up the hill and hand him a copy of "Elknut's Playbook"...."here....you need this more then I do."
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby Freebird134 » 09 04, 2012 •  [Post 7]

POk3s wrote:

I think that's when I hike up the hill and hand him a copy of "Elknut's Playbook"...."here....you need this more then I do."

This is why I'm happy to walk 3 or 4 miles into no mans land and bivy hunt.
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby cantgetdrawn » 09 04, 2012 •  [Post 8]

I find this thread interesting. Obviously the person did not know better.

What I find interesting is that it seems his bugling spooked the elk, from what seems to be a far distance? Is that correct bullrub?

I've heard of elk being educated to hunters' bugling, but I did think they would bolt at hearing a bugle. Is this common.

On another forum I have read of hunters preforming what they call annoying bugling. That is they just bugle for a long time in one spot for a long time with an arrow nocked then shut up for while and hope something comes in. One or two claim to have had success with this tactic, especially early season. Of course if this annoying bugling pushes the elk from the area, it does not seem like a good tatic.
cantgetdrawn

Postby GhostStalker » 09 04, 2012 •  [Post 9]

I was wondering how you guys were doing. Good luck the rest of the season and thanks to everyone for all your knowledge it's defiantly helped me. These animals are hard to kill and every piece of info I can gather will help me out so thanks again.
GhostStalker

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: R

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 05, 2012 •  [Post 10]

Generally excessive bugling does not spook elk, actually rare is the case! You are more apt to draw elk your way than run them off! The thing that happens is that hunters pick lousy spots to bugle or cow call from, setup is crucial as you will attract attention, they are then spotted by elk & see it's an impostor, then they move off. Such is the above case where the bugler was spotted by "bullrub" -- No doubt at least one elk also saw this guy!! This is where the problem lies! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby bullrub » 09 05, 2012 •  [Post 11]

cantgetdrawn wrote:I find this thread interesting. Obviously the person did not know better.

What I find interesting is that it seems his bugling spooked the elk, from what seems to be a far distance? Is that correct bullrub?

I've heard of elk being educated to hunters' bugling, but I did think they would bolt at hearing a bugle. Is this common.

On another forum I have read of hunters preforming what they call annoying bugling. That is they just bugle for a long time in one spot for a long time with an arrow nocked then shut up for while and hope something comes in. One or two claim to have had success with this tactic, especially early season. Of course if this annoying bugling pushes the elk from the area, it does not seem like a good tatic.

The elk had already busted when he started his bugling. They had either seen him or smelled him because he was up wind from them. I think he was just bugling to try and stop them, I don't know. ( his bugling sounded good it just wasn't the right thing to do at that time)
bullrub

Postby bullrub » 09 05, 2012 •  [Post 12]

ElkNut1 wrote:Generally excessive bugling does not spook elk, actually rare is the case! You are more apt to draw elk your way than run them off! The thing that happens is that hunters pick lousy spots to bugle or cow call from, setup is crucial as you will attract attention, they are then spotted by elk & see it's an impostor, then they move off. Such is the above case where the bugler was spotted by "bullrub" -- No doubt at least one elk also saw this guy!! This is where the problem lies! (grin)

ElkNut1

Thanks Paul for the insite. What I think is he had heard the elk bust, and that is when he started bugling to try and stop them. Yes there was no dout that the elk had seen are smelled him.
bullrub

Postby Sivart » 09 05, 2012 •  [Post 13]

very interesting
Sivart

First Name: Travis
Last Name: Scott

Postby cantgetdrawn » 09 05, 2012 •  [Post 14]

Thanks Paul and Bullrub:

Good info.
cantgetdrawn

Our Hunt So Far!!

Postby slim9300 » 09 06, 2012 •  [Post 15]

Thanks for the update Paul.
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 07, 2012 •  [Post 16]

Bullrub, I believe you are correct! There are reasons elk vacate an area, so many times it's because of us! (grin)

We have not hunted since Sept 3rd, been busy! We plan on hitting it the 8th once again, I'll update our findings & what the bulls are doing!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 10, 2012 •  [Post 17]

A bull is down! I took one this morning just before 8am!!! Bowelkdown & I succeeded in a great ambush! Photos & story to follow!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby easeup » 09 10, 2012 •  [Post 18]

fantastic. we wait for the post !!!!!
congrats first!
easeup

Postby Swede » 09 10, 2012 •  [Post 19]

Great Elknut. We look forward to the story and a picture.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby 2OArchery » 09 10, 2012 •  [Post 20]

Congrats!! Can't wait to hear the story and see some pictures.
2OArchery

Postby wapitibowman » 09 10, 2012 •  [Post 21]

Nice work Paul!! Congrats!!

Wapitibowman
wapitibowman

First Name: R
Last Name: E

Postby POk3s » 09 10, 2012 •  [Post 22]

Good job Paul tandem! Can't wait to read the story and see the pics!
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 10, 2012 •  [Post 23]

Thanks guys! Here's a photo of the pack out! That CapeRoll came in very handy! Story & many field photos to follow!

ElkNut1
Attachments
DSCN1943.jpg
DSCN1943.jpg (191.33 KiB) Viewed 20752 times
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby wapitibowman » 09 10, 2012 •  [Post 24]

Nice looking rack!! 5x6? Congrats again.

Wapitibownan
wapitibowman

First Name: R
Last Name: E

Our Hunt So Far!!

Postby slim9300 » 09 10, 2012 •  [Post 25]

Nice bull Paul! Way to go!
slim9300

Postby cnelk » 09 11, 2012 •  [Post 26]

Looking forward to this story!
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby elkaholic » 09 11, 2012 •  [Post 27]

Congrats on a nice bull!!
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 11, 2012 •  [Post 28]

He's a solid 6-point, actually he has a 2 1/2" kicker of one browtine for a 6X7 (grin) Here's a better photo of rack!

I'll have the story of the hunt as soon as I get a second!

ElkNut1
Attachments
DSCN1931.jpg
DSCN1931.jpg (269.63 KiB) Viewed 20691 times
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Hornhunter » 09 11, 2012 •  [Post 29]

Dandy bull Paul. Were you using the vipertricks this yr and if so how did they perform
Hornhunter

Postby Rod » 09 11, 2012 •  [Post 30]

Congrates Paul! Looks like a dandy.
Rod

First Name: Rod
Last Name: Heidemann

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 09 11, 2012 •  [Post 31]

Congrats on a very nice bull Paul!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby bullrub » 09 11, 2012 •  [Post 32]

Congrats Paul, very nice bull. Now I know what they look like. :lol: :lol: :lol:
bullrub

Postby elkmtngear » 09 11, 2012 •  [Post 33]

Awesome Bull, Paul!

Ambush, I am liking the sound of this ;)
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Our Hunt So Far!!

Postby slim9300 » 09 11, 2012 •  [Post 34]

elkmtngear wrote:Awesome Bull, Paul!

Ambush, I am liking the sound of this ;)

Maybe a little call and stalk action? ;)
slim9300

Postby foxvalley » 09 11, 2012 •  [Post 35]

Congrats Paul! Looks like a nice one.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 09 11, 2012 •  [Post 36]

Nice bull Paul. Who's that gray haired guy packing it? :D
JohnFitzgerald

Postby bullrub » 09 11, 2012 •  [Post 37]

JohnFitzgerald wrote:Nice bull Paul. Who's that gray haired guy packing it? :D

John that was mean. :lol:
bullrub

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 09 11, 2012 •  [Post 38]

bullrub wrote:
JohnFitzgerald wrote:Nice bull Paul. Who's that gray haired guy packing it? :D

John that was mean. :lol:

Fortunately, I know Paul well enough that he'll get a chuckle. Besides he has a weak left hook so I can take him if he doesn't. :o
JohnFitzgerald

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 11, 2012 •  [Post 39]

LOL!! Hey guys I am getting old, no denying it! (grin) I just hope I still have a few years left in me to continue on elk hunting!!! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Buglemaster » 09 11, 2012 •  [Post 40]

Congrats Paul! Thats a fine bull & I think you look tougher than ever!!
Buglemaster

Last Name: Shaklee

Postby huntnfolk » 09 11, 2012 •  [Post 41]

Congrats Elknut! That's a nice looking bull.
huntnfolk

First Name: John
Last Name: R

Postby caperoll/Scott » 09 11, 2012 •  [Post 42]

Paul,

Nice Bull, cant wait to read the story and get all the details and I'm glad the caperoll work out well for you.

Scott
Cape Roll / Scott Ward
(208)-329-0329
http://www.caperoll.com
caperoll/Scott
Site Sponsor

Postby flystrait » 09 11, 2012 •  [Post 43]

Nice Bull! I love the fronts on him..
flystrait

Postby T/H » 09 11, 2012 •  [Post 44]