Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk - Dirt Nap

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk - Dirt Nap

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 09 03, 2012 •  [Post 1]

I'm going to start this sticky thread. Post the picture of the animal you've taken or help take this year. If you wish please post which call you used and a short story on the hunt. Also, if you learned a valuable lesson please post it.

If we can, please let's just leave this thread for posting of successful harvest. Discussions can be done on other threads. I'll start.

Calls: Original ElkNut Chuckler and the Full Rut reed by Bugling Bull.

Hunt:
A buddy of mine, not part of my regular crew, called me up and ask if I would help him hunt a nice 6x6 that had eluded him. So I agreed and the next morning we drove 3 hours, then walked 4 miles into wilderness. Just as we got to the base, light started to show itself. We then had to climb 1600' in elevation in less than 1/2 mile to get to a bench. Spotted a spike and raghorn bull bedded. No sign of the 6x6 toad. Wind was in our favor so we circled and found a nice game trail to walk on and close the distance. Got within 60 yards and I tried to give a nervous grunt, but what I failed to realize was my mouth reed was ripped. So it "Squeaked". Oops! Immediately switched to another reed and gave a nervous grunt uphill. The little raghorn stepped out of some Jack Pines and looked uphill long enough for my shooter to release an arrow. Another 80 yards later the work began. Here's the picture. Sorry it's so crappy! Weight saving was a big issue on this hunt since it was so tough and we left the camera back at the truck. Hard hunt but well worth it!

Lession: Tough hunts don't always produce big bulls and easy hunts don't always produce small bulls.
Attachments
3point.JPG
3point.JPG (238.14 KiB) Viewed 63371 times
JohnFitzgerald

Re: Elk - Dirt Nap

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 04, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Here's my photo, this is the type you get after glancing off a limb of buck brush & the arrow whistles over his back! (grin) Sorry John! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby idahoghost » 09 04, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Hey Elknut, I have the same photo! See that's me standing next to the Elk I missed with the tear in my eye.

Look closely and you'll see a spike bull standing broadside waiting for me to try and hit him after he came to my calls. He said he was right at thirty yards, I said no way dude your at fifty yards, your trying to fool me. Ha! After two missed shot we both went away much smarter than we were before we met, only he was slowly shaking his head side to side giggling... :lol:
idahoghost

First Name: Larry
Last Name: Hill

Postby stringunner » 09 04, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Here is my picture as well! :-) Actually it was dark by the time I got back with the camera, shot a cow at 30 yards broad side just feeding past me on a game trail, she made it too easy, I couldn't pass up the shot, she ran 20 yards and dropped....though I'm wondering what to do with the rest of the season as I took the whole month off....probably become the designated caller and hopefully post some pics of elk I will have helped get on the ground!
stringunner

Postby Swede » 09 04, 2012 •  [Post 5]

My 2012 elk season started a week early. I began by gathering SD and CF cards from eight different trail cameras which were a collection owned by three of us who hunt together. Every camera recorded multiple elk pictures with additional deer and bears too. After analyzing the pictures and noting the times and frequency the elk were comeing in, my son and his friend checked to see how many repeat users were showing up. I prefer to sit in a stand, where one bull shows up frequently to get his picture taken, over having 20 elk show up once and seldom return. In addition to the eight places we had cameras, It was interesting to note that several bulls showed up on cameras a couple miles apart. In addition to the location where we had cameras, we also have a couple of old hidey holes that are favorites, but are vulnerable to thieves.
My son hunted three days on this first hunt on the season. He passed on a cow which had a calf with her. Our friend hunted eight days. He saw elk including several bulls, but had no shot opportunity. On the evening of the sixth day, I was waiting in the third stand I had waited in. It was one of those places where we had no camera placed. As it grew late in the evening, I was starting to think maybe this will be another long season. All of a sudden, I caught movement off to my right. Quickily I saw that it was an elk. Within a couple seconds I observed that it ws a good bull. As the bull advanced toward the wallow in front of me, I reached out my left hand and slowly took my bow off the hanger it was resting on. When the bull went behind a White fir tree, which neither of us could see through, I slowly began to stand. My stand can be noisey, so I had to carefully raise myself. I kept one hand on the seat and maintained pressure there so it would not squeak. Ever so slowly I released the weight off of the seat and stood and waited. Unlike many, I always stand to make my shot.
As I stood and waited, I could see the hind quarters of the bull, and small parts of his body from between the branches of the tree. I tried to find a hole between the branches of the tree sufficient to shoot through. As hard as I tried, I never found one. I was afraid he would bolt at any moment. What was he waiting for? The bull just stood there. One minute then two, then five minutes. He remained as stationary as a statue. I just knew he had to suspect something was wrong. Finally after a full ten minutes of waiting the bull took one step forward. He waited another minute then took two more steps forward.
Finally I I was able to come to full draw. Again he hesitated, but now my top pin was settled on him right behind his shoulder. As I looked through the peep on my string, I held a little high knowing he was 25 yards away and that top pin is set for twenty. In addition I had to account for an arrow that would be angling downward when it made contact. As I continued to observe the bull through my sights, the string on my bow sprang forward, full force, and almost instantly I saw my arrow fletching sticking out of the side of my 2012 bull. The hit was perfect. Praise the Lord.
BTW: I am satisfied the bull never was concerned about me in particular. It is common for wary bulls to carefully observe a water hole or wallow before they come in. Many bulls are extremely cautious. Bad things happen to careless elk. This bull was as careful as any could be, but like so many others, he was not prepared to deal with a predator from high in a tree.
Attachments
Bow Hunt 2012 001 (18).JPG
Bow Hunt 2012 001 (18).JPG (247.39 KiB) Viewed 63243 times
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby elkmtngear » 09 04, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Swede, that is awesome, a big Congrats to You!

I'm like you, I have to stand to shoot when I'm in a tree. I've taken a lot of successful, kneeling shots on big game from the ground, so it really doesn't make sense, it's a psychological thing.

To add to the problem, I noticed when deer hunting, that my knees pop like firecrackers this year when I stand up; thanks to "Father Time".

Great bull! Looking forward to getting out there myself next week.
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Swede » 09 04, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Something that I think could be helpful is to note that I shot my bull on August 30, which is only one day before the full moon. Less than 10 minutes earlier my hunting friend had shot a three point buck from a tree stand about a mile away. It comes up on hunting forums every year, but personally I have not found any real disadvantage hunting the full moon. I do see a disadvantage in staying home and waiting for the moon to go darker. We were packing meat out until 3:30 in the morning, and the extra light from the moon was actually beneficial.
Swede

Postby bullrub » 09 04, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Swede wrote:My 2012 elk season started a week early. I began by gathering SD and CF cards from eight different trail cameras which were a collection owned by three of us who hunt together. Every camera recorded multiple elk pictures with additional deer and bears too. After analyzing the pictures and noting the times and frequency the elk were comeing in, my son and his friend checked to see how many repeat users were showing up. I prefer to sit in a stand, where one bull shows up frequently to get his picture taken, over having 20 elk show up once and seldom return. In addition to the eight places we had cameras, It was interesting to note that several bulls showed up on cameras a couple miles apart. In addition to the location where we had cameras, we also have a couple of old hidey holes that are favorites, but are vulnerable to thieves.
My son hunted three days on this first hunt on the season. He passed on a cow which had a calf with her. Our friend hunted eight days. He saw elk including several bulls, but had no shot opportunity. On the evening of the sixth day, I was waiting in the third stand I had waited in. It was one of those places where we had no camera placed. As it grew late in the evening, I was starting to think maybe this will be another long season. All of a sudden, I caught movement off to my right. Quickily I saw that it was an elk. Within a couple seconds I observed that it ws a good bull. As the bull advanced toward the wallow in front of me, I reached out my left hand and slowly took my bow off the hanger it was resting on. When the bull went behind a White fir tree, which neither of us could see through, I slowly began to stand. My stand can be noisey, so I had to carefully raise myself. I kept one hand on the seat and maintained pressure there so it would not squeak. Ever so slowly I released the weight off of the seat and stood and waited. Unlike many, I always stand to make my shot.
As I stood and waited, I could see the hind quarters of the bull, and small parts of his body from between the branches of the tree. I tried to find a hole between the branches of the tree sufficient to shoot through. As hard as I tried, I never found one. I was afraid he would bolt at any moment. What was he waiting for? The bull just stood there. One minute then two, then five minutes. He remained as stationary as a statue. I just knew he had to suspect something was wrong. Finally after a full ten minutes of waiting the bull took one step forward. He waited another minute then took two more steps forward.
Finally I I was able to come to full draw. Again he hesitated, but now my top pin was settled on him right behind his shoulder. As I looked through the peep on my string, I held a little high knowing he was 25 yards away and that top pin is set for twenty. In addition I had to account for an arrow that would be angling downward when it made contact. As I continued to observe the bull through my sights, the string on my bow sprang forward, full force, and almost instantly I saw my arrow fletching sticking out of the side of my 2012 bull. The hit was perfect. Praise the Lord.
BTW: I am satisfied the bull never was concerned about me in particular. It is common for wary bulls to carefully observe a water hole or wallow before they come in. Many bulls are extremely cautious. Bad things happen to careless elk. This bull was as careful as any could be, but like so many others, he was not prepared to deal with a predator from high in a tree.

Well done swede :D :D :D :D
bullrub

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Winters

Postby POk3s » 09 04, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Awesome Job Swede. I just got back from a hunting trip of my own but I do believe yo own first blood on elknut forums! Great bull and a great story!

Swede wrote:Something that I think could be helpful is to note that I shot my bull on August 30, which is only one day before the full moon. Less than 10 minutes earlier my hunting friend had shot a three point buck from a tree stand about a mile away. It comes up on hunting forums every year, but personally I have not found any real disadvantage hunting the full moon. I do see a disadvantage in staying home and waiting for the moon to go darker. We were packing meat out until 3:30 in the morning, and the extra light from the moon was actually beneficial.

I'm honestly starting to think it's area specific. In certain areas it doesn't matter and in others it does. I think this because in my area the moon plays a huge advantage. I have heard way more bugling a week before and week after a full moon then I have during the full moon. Last year I messed with bulls for 3 days on labor day weekend. Bugling into mid morning everyday and starting up in the evening. The next weekend came around and I heard 3 bugles in 2 days. I did however shoot my bull during the full moon. If it's a full moon will I not go out.....ABSOLUTELY NOT! But in my area I do see a difference in rutting activity.
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby LckyTylr » 09 04, 2012 •  [Post 10]

Well, unfortunately I can't say that I killed my first bull, but I don't see how I could have gotten any closer. I have been scouting all summer looking for a new place to hunt with less two legged and furry four legged competition. I finally found a place that looked promising, spent a lot of gas money, walked a LOT of miles in search of where the animals are actually hanging out (only place I found water), and decided that I had finally located my spot. I am in better shape than I have been since I was 19 and I'm not settling for tag soup this year. I took my friend hunting with me this weekend (opener in Idaho). He's been my hunting buddy for two years, but he was working in California all summer so he couldn't help scout. I have been telling him about our new spot for a few weeks and he was excited. We left Friday around 2:30 PM and arrived at the end of the road and checked our bows one last time with the broadhead target. It took about an hour and a half to climb up to the saddle where we were camping and we got there just before dark so we decided to peak over the edge and intended to set up camp in the dark. I quickly located a rag horn and a small 5x5 chasing each other around in circles around their wallow. I was PUMPED to say the least, but we didn't have enough daylight to get down there and get a shot. Made plans to go back and sit on the wallow the entire next day, but we only saw 4 mulie does and 2 whitetail bucks. The next morning I took my buddy for a 2 mile walk and after a short glassing session I told him to go peak over the ridge we were walking and tell me how many elk he saw. He looked over and quickly surmised that there are ZERO elk in the bowl because it's surrounded by rock slides and a cliff. I told him to use his binos and within 30 seconds he gave me saucer eyes and said "THERE's a SPIKE DOWN THERE!" :lol: I really wanted to put my tag on it, but since he spotted it, I let him have a go. We decided that the smartest strategy would be for me to remain on the ridge with binos and keep an eye on the feeding spike so that I could guide my buddy in once he got down at that level and would have to navigate through some broken trees, all about 15 feet tall. We made an assumption on which way the wind was blowing and I sent him down the other side of a small ridge leading into the bowl that would just barely conceal his approach. After 25 minutes, I finally saw him emerge in the bowl, but by then the bull was making his way towards my buddy, so no guidance was necessary as my buddy saw him immediately. The spike slowly walked to within 36 yards before turning and presenting a perfect broadside shot. He crashed a quick 80 yards, stood for a few minutes coughing and then fell over dead. The best part, I got the whole thing on camera (albeit shaky footage). It's my buddies first bull, but when it comes down to it, either of us could have made that stalk and that shot, so I feel pretty proud of all the hard work that went into it. The bull was shot at 08:45, we gave him a full hour before checking for blood/arrow. Found him where we last saw him at 80 yards and started with the work. This was also our FIRST elk pack-out. I used the gutless method and it took us 2 hours to get all of the meat hanging. It was almost exactly 4 miles each way for packing and down 2200' of elevation. We were the ONLY two leggeds on the mountain, but as we were driving back out, we saw about 40 - 50 trucks with 4-wheelers. It was pretty rewarding to drive by all of the skunked road hunters with out little spike in the back of the truck. :-) We were back on the main highway headed home at 8:43 PM, so it took us 12 hours from shot to being headed home. I'm very proud of the whole experience. It's been a pretty frustrating 4 year learning curve to be honest, and while I didn't release the arrow, I feel very accomplished. He's my buddy with his first bull. :-)
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby LckyTylr » 09 04, 2012 •  [Post 11]

LckyTylr

Postby Swede » 09 04, 2012 •  [Post 12]

Great bull lckytylr. I have never found a good receipt for antler soup anyway. Your bull is coming.
Swede

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 04, 2012 •  [Post 13]

Great job, tell your buddy congrats on his spike bull, when will you be heading back out?

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby MTLongdraw » 09 04, 2012 •  [Post 14]

LckyTylr,
Great work. Congrats to your friend. I like what you said about the four year learning curve. I feel like I'm going through the same thing and I know its early but I get frustrated when things dont go right. I need to see stuff like this to help me stay persistent and determined. Like today, I drove 80 miles to my hunting area to find the gate locked at the bottom. I guess my bad but its been open all year and I've never seen a sep 1 gate closure. It never even crossed my mind. I dont mind walking but this would have been about a 9 mile walk just to where I was going to originally start walking....too far solo.
But knowing me I'll keep looking for my honey hole until I find it...Hope to have a grab and grin photo later this month.

Good job man.
MTLongdraw

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Volinkaty

Postby LckyTylr » 09 05, 2012 •  [Post 15]

Thanks everyone, my buddy and I are headed back up there friday night. I can't wait. All I needed was a little bit of confidence, now I have my honey hole and we know we can get it done! I'm slapping a tag on a bull this season and a buck shortly after. ;-)
LckyTylr

Postby JimKirk » 09 05, 2012 •  [Post 16]

swede-thats a beautiful bull. way to go! that tree stand hunting takes patience but can be deadly. hard to sit there if you hear them sounding off in a distance.
JimKirk

First Name: kirk

Postby Swede » 09 05, 2012 •  [Post 17]

Jim your post got me to thinking again. I rememnber back when just the thought of elk not too far away got me out of my stand and moving. I believe I have become a genuine tree stand hunter now, because in late September I can listen to a herd bull with multiple cows and satellites going crazy within less than 200 yards, and I still sit tight and wait. I think I am a tree stand hunter because this season I sat from 10 hours to 12 1/2 hours per day in my stand and enjoyed it. I think I am a tree stand hunter because I can do those things just listed, for 30 consecutive days, and wish I had a few more at the end. My advise is "kids don't try this unless you have a good comfortable stand to pass the time in." Also it helps to have a good book to read. Just don't get too engrossed in it. LOL
Swede

Postby easeup » 09 05, 2012 •  [Post 18]

Swede wrote:Jim your post got me to thinking again. I rememnber back when just the thought of elk not too far away got me out of my stand and moving. I believe I have become a genuine tree stand hunter now, because in late September I can listen to a herd bull with multiple cows and satellites going crazy within less than 200 yards, and I still sit tight and wait. I think I am a tree stand hunter because this season I sat from 10 hours to 12 1/2 hours per day in my stand and enjoyed it. I think I am a tree stand hunter because I can do those things just listed, for 30 consecutive days, and wish I had a few more at the end. My advise is "kids don't try this unless you have a good comfortable stand to pass the time in." Also it helps to have a good book to read. Just don't get too engrossed in it. LOL

now there is Gods gift of patience and confidence.
Hey, congrats on a dandy bull and excellent bowhunter-manship....( you know what I mean)
easeup

Postby Freebird134 » 09 06, 2012 •  [Post 19]

Great pics and stories guys!!! I'm headed to Idaho in the morning and these reads are getting me fired up!!!!!!!
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby LckyTylr » 09 06, 2012 •  [Post 20]

I'm Getting It DONE this weekend. My birthday is Monday and I fully plan to spend my celebratory day burdened by the weight of wapiti on my back. Good luck to you all. Shoot straight.
LckyTylr

Postby N5J » 09 07, 2012 •  [Post 21]

Congratulations guys! We head out today for 15 days...no cell service so I'll let you know how we did when I get back.

N5J

James
N5J

First Name: J
Last Name: N

Postby CLW » 09 09, 2012 •  [Post 22]

First post! Im new to this site. I got lucky opening morning and cow called this curious 5x5 in to 7 yards and double lunged him. The Slick Trick Magnum was extremely devastating and he didnt go far! Second year bow hunting and loving it. I also just ordered a DVD set, playbook, and some other stuff from Elknut that I should get this week. I am really excited to watch and read and get better at calling. We've got two weekends left here in Oregon and I would love to help a buddy or 3 get their bulls as well! Here are a couple pictures. I was even lucky enough to be able to get rope to the bull and pull him out whole from a spot I could get my truck to. They definitely dont all work out like this but I will take what I can get!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
CLW

First Name: Cody
Last Name: Workman

Postby Magic » 09 09, 2012 •  [Post 23]

There are several successes here so congratulations to all, and the best of luck to everyone else. This year is stacking up nicely. ;)
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D

Postby bullrub » 09 11, 2012 •  [Post 24]

way to go CLW, good job. You do have a pickup load.
bullrub

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Winters

Postby 2OArchery » 09 11, 2012 •  [Post 25]

Congrats to all those who have been successful thus far into the season.

I don't have a picture yet, but my dad just killed his 3rd bull in 3 years. Its a small raghorn, but a bull. Great thing about Idaho is you can buy anonther elk tag since its OTC. He still has 20 more days to hunt. Hopefully I will have some pictures in a day or two.
2OArchery

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 11, 2012 •  [Post 26]

Nice 20archery!! Tell your Dad congrats!!!

Congrats to all as well!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby elkaholic » 09 12, 2012 •  [Post 27]

Elk slayer strikes again! Congrats to all!
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford

Elk - Dirt Nap

Postby Solitude » 09 14, 2012 •  [Post 28]

4 years 3 states and finally down my first 5x6 on September 11, 2013. All public land DIY. Now sitting here in my tent getting ready to head out and get it done for my brother. Oh ya, should probably mention called him in on a string screaming with the Little Chuckler.
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347675906.051231.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347675906.051231.jpg (154.85 KiB) Viewed 61959 times
Solitude

Postby JimKirk » 09 14, 2012 •  [Post 29]

congrats to you solitude. give us your hunt details!
JimKirk

Postby Magic » 09 17, 2012 •  [Post 30]

Congrats on bagging a nice bull. ;)
Magic

Postby dmc » 09 17, 2012 •  [Post 31]

Well after drawing elknuts tag in wy I called him to get started learning how to call elk. We talked on the phone and I purchased a bunch of stuff. I watched vids and played with the calls waiting for my hunt. Well my hunt came and after practicing calling I only used a little cow call 3 different times to cover my movements. After 3.5hrs of shadowing and being a cow in the herd this guy made a mistake and let me arrow him. Sorry no field pics my camera decided it hated me right when I needed it. He is my first bow elk and I am happy with him. I think preparing for the hunt and reading about elk behavior and calling helped me even though I did very little calling. I just felt I knew what they were doing and it payed off. Solo hunt. Thanks Elk nut for all your information.

dmc

First Name: David
Last Name: Caldwell

Postby LckyTylr » 09 18, 2012 •  [Post 32]

Wow, that's HUGE!

Congrats.
LckyTylr

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 18, 2012 •  [Post 33]

Yes, very nice bulls guys!!!

dmc, no problem, glad your hunt worked out!! Take them any way you can! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby >>>---WW----> » 09 18, 2012 •  [Post 34]

That's your first bow elk? Wow congrats! But be aware, you are ruined for life and that one will be hard to duplicate. LOL!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Elk - Dirt Nap

Postby Solitude » 09 18, 2012 •  [Post 35]

Wow DMC, that guy is a toad! That big one did not get away!
Solitude

Postby jensenrw.2000 » 09 18, 2012 •  [Post 36]

Elknut rules! Washington state otc tag public land! My 5th year in this area, 62 days without filling my tag but called one in for a buddy last year too. Found this old guy about 8 miles in down in a hole. Hit the locator bugle and got a bugle with hard grunts in reply so we hit him hard back and then we bombed down to his elevation keeping the wind. A few more aggressive bugles and some raking and 5 minutes later he was in our laps. Jeff made a great shot and then it was work time! Jeff's 4th day elk hunting ever, first bull, he's set the bar pretty high! Leaving for Idaho in the am, good hunting, Rob

P9140151_2.jpg
P9140151_2.jpg (73.4 KiB) Viewed 61762 times
jensenrw.2000

First Name: rob
Last Name: jensen

Postby pointysticks » 09 19, 2012 •  [Post 37]

wow!! man, some great bulls!!
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Magic » 09 20, 2012 •  [Post 38]

Holy Smokes guys, those are some good bulls. Congratulations are certainly in order. ;)
Magic

Postby Swede » 09 20, 2012 •  [Post 39]

"Eight miles down in a hole". Wow! I guess the work began when you got that critter down. I hope you had a lot of help getting it out.
Swede

Postby foxvalley » 09 23, 2012 •  [Post 40]

compressed2.jpg
compressed2.jpg (44.75 KiB) Viewed 61594 times

Just got back last night and thought I would take a break from cutting up meat to post my adventure. Congrats to everybody that scored after I left!
The first few days in camp were a little quiet,we had bulls bugling,but could tell that things were not heating up yet.
Our days consisted of hunting till noon,then sitting on a wallow the rest of the day,which seemed to be more active than normal,as it was hot and dry. The action started one evening as I reluctently decided to leave the wallow a little early in case we had bugling action on the way out. We only had made it about 75 yards from the wallow when a bull bugled right above it. We turned around and snuck back in as fast as we could,only to find the bull on the wallow about 25 yards from us.I was able to stop him with a nervous grunt,but the gig was up,no shot.
The next evening found me right back up on the wallow by myself, as erik needed to take a break as he wasn't feeling well. At about 6:00 pm I could here something above me,then could see it was a bull coming down to the wallow.He came in fast,and I needed to stop him with a nervous grunt,which worked like a champ as he slammed on the brakes and bounced a little quartering to me. He was broadside before I stopped him,and had to change my thinking of where to place the arrow as now he is quartering to me,but felt comfortable with the shot,as I had ranged the exact spot the day before at 30yds. At first I thought the arrow might have been a little low as he took off low,and at a dead run on the opposite hillside right across from me,but as I watched him he started to get lower to the ground and was loosing speed fast.He piled up at about 60 yards,and was dead in less than a minute.
Attachments
compressed.jpg
compressed.jpg (45.51 KiB) Viewed 61594 times
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 09 23, 2012 •  [Post 41]

Well after 5 weeks in Colorado, we are home and my 26th bow kill elk is in the freezer. I took him over a wallow on opening day Aug 25th at 30 yards. Not the biggest bull on the mountain, but a decent bull for the area. The next 4 weeks was spent chasing bears and helping others in camp try and get there elk. As it turned out, no one else connected and I lost a real nice 400lb color phased black bear. My 2 trail cams were full of elk, bears, coyotes and 1 mountain lion. Weather stayed unusally warm and dry. Elk never got vocal the entire time we were there. All DIY on public land over the counter tags. I was going to go call for Brad, "cnelk". but he closed the deal early on a very nice bull in a draw unit. Having problems posting pictures, but will add when I figure out what it is.
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 09 23, 2012 •  [Post 42]

OK, I resized my pictures in photobucket like always, and now no matter how much I reduce the size, it keeps telling me too wide too tall. only 800 pixels wide and high. Never had this problem before. Reduced to 400x400 and lower but no luck. Worked before I left for Colorado.
CrazyElkHunter

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 09 24, 2012 •  [Post 43]

This is the only picture I could get to load. I shot this bear over a bull carcuss I found and lost him due to hitting him in the shoulder at the last second.

CrazyElkHunter

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 09 24, 2012 •  [Post 44]

CrazyElkHunter

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 09 24, 2012 •  [Post 45]

CrazyElkHunter

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 09 24, 2012 •  [Post 46]

Chili powder at work!!!
CrazyElkHunter

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 24, 2012 •  [Post 47]

Way to go guys, many are doing awesome!!!! Crazyelkhunter, looks like you figured out the photo thing! Nice work!! We tried the chili powder this year, seemed to work pretty well too! Thanks!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Vanish » 09 24, 2012 •  [Post 48]

I took this small 6x6 with a mix of emotions on the 9th day of my hunt. Full story will be in my log viewtopic.php?f=3&t=692 but let's say I do not believe this was the first elk I shot on that day.
Attachments
DSCN1022b.jpg
DSCN1022b.jpg (171.31 KiB) Viewed 61521 times
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby eltaco » 09 24, 2012 •  [Post 49]

Vanish wrote:I took this small 6x6 with a mix of emotions on the 9th day of my hunt. Full story will be in my log viewtopic.php?f=3&t=692 but let's say I do not believe this was the first elk I shot on that day.

Buddy, let me check my pics again tonight... I might have this bull on my trail Cam earlier in the season. I don't know exactly where you're at, but sounds like we're close to one another. Congrats on the bull!
eltaco

Postby Swede » 09 24, 2012 •  [Post 50]

It is great to see more nice elk on the ground. I am going through hunting withdrawals now. The pain is that I have to wait another eleven months before I can try to give another elk a nice "dirt nap".
Swede

Postby planebow » 09 25, 2012 •  [Post 51]

Went hunting for two weeks, the first week I saw very few elk but the second week we started to see more but the wind was terrible with many blown stalks. With two days left a spike made the mistake of stooping at 25 yards in front of me. It was hot and almost dark when it happened, was in a hurry to get the animal taken care of and did not think of taking any pictures until I was about ready to start packing so this is all I have for a picture.
Attachments
P1020018.JPG
P1020018.JPG (173.5 KiB) Viewed 61451 times
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 25, 2012 •  [Post 52]

Way to go guys, great looking trophies & memories!!

ElKNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby mongopino915 » 09 26, 2012 •  [Post 53]

Congrats to all. The team (7 of us) hunted hard this season and did harvested 3 elk (2 - 5x5 bulls + a cow) and two deers (a 4x4 buck and a doe). Sorry, no pics.

Called in lots of elk, both silently and vocally, during first two weeks. During the ML and last week, the elk went nocturnal and were not very responsive.

Again, congrats to all.
mongopino915

Postby Eric B. » 09 26, 2012 •  [Post 54]

Killed this bull yesterday in N.Idaho. It says my file is too big to post a pic., so anyways it's a basic 5x5. Lots of bugling action this past week.
Eric B.

First Name: Eric
Last Name: Barnett

Postby POk3s » 09 26, 2012 •  [Post 55]

Story has been posted but figured I'd add it to the "Dirt Nap List"
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby outdoordan » 09 27, 2012 •  [Post 56]

Some nice bulls! Congrats to all.

Here is my Public Land OTC Backpack Bull from last weekend!

Forum Sponsor
http://www.hunthardcore1.com/
outdoordan

First Name: Dan
Last Name: Allred

Postby cnelk » 09 27, 2012 •  [Post 57]

Aug 31st - GMU 61 Colorado

cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Swede » 09 29, 2012 •  [Post 58]

It is good to see that a few more bulls got a dirt nap. Congrats to all for the great pictures and stories.
Swede

Postby Magic » 09 30, 2012 •  [Post 59]

You guys are keeping me pumped up for sure. Congrats to all. ;)
Magic

Postby ElkNut1 » 10 01, 2012 •  [Post 60]

Good stuff guys, thank you for sharing your photos!

Dan, very cool!!!! Put up a topic like some of the others on your story when you have time? We'd all love to hear it!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby dreamingbig » 10 02, 2012 •  [Post 61]

My first branch antlered bull and fourth elk overall. My dad called this guy in using a mouth reed and sounding like a herd of cows moving off. We first heard him bugle above us while we were walking through the timber. I stayed put and had my dad move off behind me. He did so while cow calling. He kept moving farther and farther away (ended up close to 100 yards away) and this bull walked right past me. I almost had a shot when he was at 5 steps but he saw something at the last minute and spooked out to about 40 yards. Well he couldn't take it and started heading back towards the calls again and he stopped broadside at 35 yards. One arrow through the top of the heart and both lungs and he only went 50 yards before tipping over. This all happened on September 8th in the backcountry in Washington. We hauled him out on our backs about 7 miles.
IMG_1882.jpg
IMG_1882.jpg (422.14 KiB) Viewed 61111 times

IMG_1885.jpg
IMG_1885.jpg (527.53 KiB) Viewed 61111 times

Packing out.jpg
Packing out.jpg (619.98 KiB) Viewed 61111 times
dreamingbig

Postby Harmy » 10 02, 2012 •  [Post 62]

My first bull (excepting last year's spike of course)...Learned a lot, made a bunch of mistakes, but in the end I recovered. Settled on a smaller 6x6 sattelite due to time and catching a nasty repiratory infection on opening day. I saw upwards of 100 bulls with several very large ones during the course of the last 10 days. Very awesome experience.
Attachments
Elk.jpg
Elk.jpg (172.33 KiB) Viewed 61105 times
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Postby JimKirk » 10 02, 2012 •  [Post 63]

nice one dreambig. 7 miles in those washington cascades! impressive and now thats work!! congratulations
JimKirk

Postby JimKirk » 10 02, 2012 •  [Post 64]

harmy if thats a smaller 6x6 you did good. was all that action on public land? great bull for sure. way to go!
JimKirk

Postby Harmy » 10 03, 2012 •  [Post 65]

JimKirk, yes, it was a smaller 6x6 (about 250 by my rough intial measurements for reporting to UDWR). This is a limited entry unit with OTC only for Spikes and many cow tags issued every year. This year the limited entry rifle season preceeded my muzzy limited entry season which both were right at peak rut. The Utah DWR manages this area pretty well in my opinion as I have seen more elk progressively over the years. In the 7 or so years preceeding this year my team have taken in excess of 30 cows and 2 spikes in the regular rifle season. In all those years though I have only seen 5-6 bulls. I have never had the opportunity to hunt durng the rut and this year I really put in significant time scouting in the 2 months before my hunt and was in the field for 4 of 5 days during my hunt. During scouting I probably saw in excess of 100 bulls and during the actual hunt about 100 bulls again. There were several very large bulls but I have no basis for estimating just how big they were. I will post a story soon as I had some very strange interactions with several groups that I will share.
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Postby ElkNut1 » 10 05, 2012 •  [Post 66]

A couple more nice ones, good going guys!!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby ElkNut1 » 10 07, 2012 •  [Post 67]

OK, here's the bulls we took this year in the ElkNut Crew! There are 5 of us! The Doc, is not done yet as Oct 15 starts a new game! (grin) So here's 4 of us for now!

These are Idaho elk OTC DIY hunts!

This one is Paul II elk, killed in a real he'II hole!

23yd shot!

ElkNut1
Attachments
DSCN1952.jpg
DSCN1952.jpg (165.73 KiB) Viewed 60943 times
DSCN1966.jpg
DSCN1966.jpg (181.38 KiB) Viewed 60943 times
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby ElkNut1 » 10 07, 2012 •  [Post 68]

This one is of Clayton, he had no camera with him on his hunt, so here's just a photo of his spike rack, he took this one many miles back in & two days to pack it out with the help of his good friend Baron!

45yd shot!

ElkNut1
Attachments
Clayton's Spike 2012 - 3.jpg
Clayton's Spike 2012 - 3.jpg (188.06 KiB) Viewed 60943 times
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby ElkNut1 » 10 07, 2012 •  [Post 69]

This elk is Jerry's, he dogged this herd for over a mile as they were rutting/bugling up a storm, there were several bulls in the surrounding herd & he caught them in the thick stuff & called this bull in to 15yds! Frontal shot, fell inside a 100 yds!

Paul II & I helped in the breaking down & packing!

ElkNut1
Attachments
Jerry's 2012 Bull 3.jpg
Jerry's 2012 Bull 3.jpg (212.1 KiB) Viewed 60943 times
Jerry's 2012 Bull 6.jpg
Jerry's 2012 Bull 6.jpg (233.46 KiB) Viewed 60943 times
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby ElkNut1 » 10 07, 2012 •  [Post 70]

Here's the elk I took with my son Paul II on Sept 10th. It was a great ambush by us & everything fell into place in our favor!

50yd shot!

ElkNut1
Attachments
DSCN1899.jpg
DSCN1899.jpg (182.65 KiB) Viewed 60943 times
Best Close Up.jpg
Best Close Up.jpg (171.15 KiB) Viewed 60943 times
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Magic » 10 07, 2012 •  [Post 71]

Congrats to all. You guys are keeping me pumped for my limited area hunt which is two weeks away. ;)
Magic

Postby Elkhog » 10 14, 2012 •  [Post 72]

Bull Came in silent to light cow calling on a triple reed latex mouth call. I set up in a area in the timber that was open enough for shots from several directions with enough cover a bull would have to come close to get a look at his new girl friend. I called about 12 or 15 cow calls and shut up for 15min and called again and shut up for 15min, and called again and shut up and 10min later he came sneaking in for look. The bull milled around about 80 yards out looking for about 2min and then turn to walk away into the thicker timber and I did one light mew with head turn away from him and behind me. The bull turn around and came slowly looking and stop in a 3ft opening at 50 yard looking. I had the bow back following him and watch the arrow all the way hit right behind his shoulder and he took off went about 70 yards and I could here him coughing and then go down. This was a Colorado OTC tag DIY on opening day Aug 25 and its a long wait for opening season 2013 Aug 31. Congrats to all and thanks for sharing. I am 60 years old now, don't know how many more elk season I have left. God willing will all be back next year.
Attachments
012 (2) (800x600).jpg
2012 5x5 OTC Colorado Bull
012 (2) (800x600).jpg (447.11 KiB) Viewed 60749 times
Elkhog

First Name: Steven
Last Name: Bowshier

Postby Magic » 10 28, 2012 •  [Post 73]

Thanks for the inspiration and motivation guys. My story is in another thread but here are a couple of pictures.
Attachments
DSCN1218 (Small).JPG
DSCN1218 (Small).JPG (179.02 KiB) Viewed 60515 times
DSCN1210 (Small).JPG
38" wide.
DSCN1210 (Small).JPG (180.95 KiB) Viewed 60515 times
Magic