Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

First hunt report

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

First hunt report

Postby Lefty » 09 02, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Friday evening was somewhat uneventful as I sat on a water tank.. Tracks around the water tank were plenty. The winds were switching a lot earlier than were perfect the last hour. The lightning in the distance was amazing.
I passed a couple Out of Staters camped in along side the road. An hour and 15 minutes after leaving my blind, I was setting up my "big" tent. Maybe one of the worst nights sleep Ive had in a tent that I could remember. My shoulder was aching and I was constantly rolling onto it and getting a zinger of pain and waking.
A few times the thunder and wind got kind of wild and I’m sure the rain drops were the size of golfballs. Coyotes were constant all night long living up to their nickname, song dogs. I really do enjoy the sound
I woke early to a north wind so I and changed my plan and headed for a high spot to glass as it got light. I really was expecting to see the OS to show but I suspect the big burn may have changed their plans too. Just before legal shooting hours I could hear something in the distance I wasn’t quite sure if it was cows and calves mewing or not. I was to never know for sure, miles down the road I could hear a truck racing my direction, and he pulled into the two track I was above. A late elk hunter!, did he party with his friends too late this morning? Does he know how loud his truck was! I had heard him the past 3 ½ miles . He pulled to the bottom of the low butte I was now standing on,just as he was pulling up the hill my guess is he saw me just 140 yards skylined above him as he was crossing an area closed to vehicle travel, he backed out and left
I glassed for hours, then packed camp and started my typical hunt of glassing and walking. And a bit of location bugling and cow calling . I crossed enough fresh sign from during and after the storms to make me appreciate how elk can be ghosts in such open country..
Im off for a short hunt in the Monday morning timber near home
a pic of my camp

IMG_0655 (Small).JPG
IMG_0655 (Small).JPG (55.42 KiB) Viewed 1817 times
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: First hunt report

Postby dreamhunter » 09 02, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Looks like you could use a huntin buddy .Good luck
dreamhunter

First Name: Holly
Last Name: Paugh

Postby easeup » 09 02, 2012 •  [Post 3]

good report.......we know you are just warming up.

with all of that water....I thought you were going to make your own wallow..... :)
easeup

Postby Lefty » 09 02, 2012 •  [Post 4]

dreamhunter wrote:Looks like you could use a huntin buddy .Good luck

The guy that got me into archey was going to come along. He is also my rescue guy incase I die he will get stuck retrieving me ;) I gave in last week and I took him for a ride and toured the country,.. he was impressed enough with what I showed him that he wanted along,.. Unfortunatly work took him away for this week
Notice about two of everything, chairs, tent, coolers, with food for six :lol:
Otherwise I like hunting alone if my daughters dont come along
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 09 02, 2012 •  [Post 5]

easeup wrote:good report.......we know you are just warming up.
with all of that water....I thought you were going to make your own wallow..... :)

Well lets just say elk perfer fresh spring water over stale, insect laden bird dropping flavor,.. Ill do my part to help out the elk :lol:
Lefty