Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

New to Elk, Need much assistance

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby Hunt4jesus » 08 31, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Hello all I enjoy following and now decided to register and join in.

I am from MS, and planning a sept 2013 hunt. I have no idea where to start or where to begin looking.

I have 4 somewhat choices and would like yalls input on what would be the best for a beginner and more shot opp, as this is a once in a long time trip.

1. Colorado backpack trip DIY in possible unit 43 or ???????
2. Colorado DIY with a drop camp setup from outfitter
3. IDAHO elk hunt
4. Another state elk hunt

I do not want any of your spots as i have turkey hunted here and people will lie to you in a heartbeat, but i try and be the opposite.
Hunt4jesus

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: C

Re: New to Elk, Need much assistance

Postby >>>---WW----> » 08 31, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Need a little more information. Will you be with others or by yourself? Is this archery, rifle, or smoke pole? Any other information you can would be helpful so we can give you some good honest answers.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby bullrub » 08 31, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Welcome to to forum Hunt4Jesus. The only place I have hunted is Oregon, but you have came to the right place to find out where to go. I think you will get lots of good suggestions from other elk hunters on this forum. That is what make's this forum so great, other hunters helping other hunters.
bullrub

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Winters

Postby Waygoner » 08 31, 2012 •  [Post 4]

For your 1st elk trip I would focus on taking a cow, regardless of weapon. It will increase your odds of success. Colorado has the largest elk herd and non-resident licenses are reasonable. Lots of public land an DIY is certainly an option to consider. Will you be hunting solo?

Don't get caught up on the gear hype either. You can put together an elk hunt without buying every gadget that you read about. When I was young and broke I hunted in blue jeans and a pair of work boots from K-mart. I had a funky $40 tent that served me well until one day a storm on Wolf Creek Pass blew it to shreds. I had just as much fun then as I do now, I'm just a little more comfortable these days!
Waygoner

Postby cantgetdrawn » 08 31, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I've only hunted CO and NM.

Aside from having the biggest elk herd, CO offers the best online assistance to hunters. You can download tip sheets for each unit as well as online maps with unit boundaries, they also have trip planner forms.

NM has some big bulls, but it is really hard for a non-residents to get drawn. Having said that your chances of getting drawn in NM are as good as any other non-resident even if its your first year applying.

One thing you might want to consider, in either 2013 or farther in the future, is to apply for quality units in NM. If you do not get drawn they will reimburse your credit card with plenty of time to plan a OTC hunt up north.

Good Luck
cantgetdrawn

Postby Hunt4jesus » 08 31, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Sorry, this will be archery in Sept and probably one or 2 others at most. I am looking hard at Colorado but not ruling out other places. I would love to stick a cow but I am in top shape and so traveling won't be tough. I am not a trophy hunter so first legal elk is down. I just want a unit to get on elk and have that chance. Any info will be great and in end it might just be me but I am planning fir atleast 2. Going for elk but would live to have a chance at deer or something if they crossed paths.
Hunt4jesus

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 08 31, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Welcome aboard Hunt4jesus. Thanks for registering. I too only hunt Oregon but there's plenty of guys on here that should be able to assist.

Thanks,
JohnFitzgerald

Postby N5J » 08 31, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Hunt4jesus,

Are you sure you want to start elk hunting? Once you start it’ll become addictive and you'll need therapy to quit! :D Welcome to the forum... a lot of good folks here with years of elk knowledge to help you.

N5J

James
N5J

First Name: J
Last Name: N

Postby cantgetdrawn » 08 31, 2012 •  [Post 9]

check out the following links for Colorado. They grouped the tip sheets, Unit 43 is in the northwest region. You can check the number of hunters and harvest rates for all units. Check the OTC units for elk and cross reference them with those you can draw deer with zero points. Apply for deer and when you get drawn buy an OTC elk tag if you want to hunt both species.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/Big ... uides.aspx

http://ndismaps.nrel.colostate.edu/hunt ... u&value=43

http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteCollect ... lanner.pdf

http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/Pages/Hunting.aspx

Good Luck
cantgetdrawn

Postby ctdad » 08 31, 2012 •  [Post 10]

I went through this process two years ago and did my hunt last year. It wasn't actually my first elk hunt, but it was the first time I wasn't just tagging along with someone else going to their spot. I chose Colorado b/c there is so much public land and OTC tags are just so easy to get for a first time hunt. I felt that if I went that way, I didn't have to wait for draw results to start planning my trip. I started about this time of year as well.

I went with statistics and anything I could read online and most of that came from forums and Colorado division of wildlife website. I spent hours and hours going through statistics that are available on that website. I picked about five key stats that I felt were important and I made a hand written spread sheet so comparing units against each other using my 5 stats was easier. I had about 3 full pages in my spread sheet to start. Based on numbers alone, I narrowed it down to about 10-12 units. I then started scouring the internet for anything I could read about those units. Easily got it down to about 4-5 units from there. After that I felt like it was a roll of the dice so I made a decision.

Then I had to decide which part of the unit I was going to hunt. Too big to hunt the whole unit. I picked an area that was about 4 times bigger than what I thought our group could hunt. I contacted the game warden, local wildlife biologists and through a bunch of phone calls, even got a local on the phone who was a friendly hunter and got his opinions. When you call these type of people, you need to have very specific questions ready. Don't ask them where the elk are or you'll get no useful info. I put all of that together and narrowed down a camp location and three main drainages to hunt. I spent so much time working on it, but I loved every second of it. We hunted it last year and will be returning in a couple weeks to the same location. Going to be nice having some knowledge of the unit from day 1 this year.

I've started applying for preference points in multiple states for future hunts, but until those become reality, I'm going to continue to enjoy OTC in Colorado.
ctdad

Postby Hunt4jesus » 09 01, 2012 •  [Post 11]

Now u know u can't say all that and not say if it paid off. Did you get on bulls. Have opp.
Hunt4jesus

Postby ctdad » 09 01, 2012 •  [Post 12]

I had five bulls within bow range, but never sealed the deal. Saw 4 other bulls out of range and multiple cows. My hunting partners had similar action but no one laid one down last year. We had a great time.
ctdad

Postby Hunt4jesus » 09 01, 2012 •  [Post 13]

I almost feel like putting 10 units in a hat and drawing out one and heading on faith. The points thing I really do not understand. Like Montana and Wyoming. Then the land vouchers are those any good. On archery talk. Their is landowner permit for sale in new Mexico. How do those work. Still have to buy licence snd tag
Hunt4jesus

Postby BarW » 09 01, 2012 •  [Post 14]

My first time I did all the research much like ct suggested above but I also made one 4 day scouting trip with my 2 hunting partners that helped us tremendously. We didn't take any animals but we saw animals and had opportunities. Look at the population estimates for the units you want to hunt more elk means more opportunity. Also bow season lasts a month so research the days you want to hunt as well.
BarW

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Wiggins

Postby louisianafulldraw » 09 02, 2012 •  [Post 15]

I started elk hunting in Colorado 8 years ago. I just found a area where OTC tags were sold and went. Alamosa Colo was and is a great place to hunt this is where I began. Lots of nice local people. You just have to commite yourself, get in shape and go for it. Good luck
louisianafulldraw

First Name: carroll
Last Name: Stains

Postby Hunt4jesus » 09 02, 2012 •  [Post 16]

Thanks for all the replies I am thinking Idaho if I go solo, met someone out there I might hook up with. But if a group wants to go I might hit Colorado. Anyone have any experience in a drop camp through outfitter.
Hunt4jesus

Postby Magic » 09 02, 2012 •  [Post 17]

You mentioned a combination elk/deer hunt. You can buy OTC license for many Colorado hunt areas, but deer are draw only.
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D

Postby Lefty » 09 02, 2012 •  [Post 18]

You mentioned a drop camp, are looking for wilderness, or someone to help get you into a place?

I could put you in a couple Idaho car drive in places to pack into 3-5 miles for a near wildeness feel, good elk numbers few wolves but there will be horseman.

Unless you have already done a bunch of camping , tent hunting, or wilderness back country I would suggest a drop camp,.. still lots to learn and you dont want it to be a bad expierience
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H