Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Re-gathering call feedback

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Re-gathering call feedback

Postby mcnje032 » 08 29, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Hey everybody!
I am a beginning elk caller and have been listening to Paul's techniques for several months. I am capable of reproducing most of the cow elk and bull sounds.
So, opening day I was surprised to find not one single hunter in the woods. I hunt with a #55 re-curve and missed a nice forked horn black tail buck at twelve yards. Three bucks were within 15 yards and two were 3 points. I was shaking like a leaf.
Any way shortly after that encounter I stumbled on some elk feeding in the semi open timber. My hunting grounds are on the Oregon coast so it is very steep and brushy. The closest elk was 35 yards away but my confidence had been shaken due to the event earlier that morning. I also had definitely been seen by the elk and let out a calf call. Pretty sure I was busted because they started to file off into the timer. The cow at 35 yards took a few steps in my direction then followed the heard.
I figured, no big deal, just follow them for a bit then give some regathering calls. After finding the trail I let out a few regathering chirps. Many thoughts were going thru my head. Did all the elk go in the same direction? Should I set up and call? Will they circle back around? Which way is the wind blowing? The trail I was on went down hill and I could hear water. It was so steep and brushy but I followed. All the way to the bottom. Then the elk headed along the water. and it got steeper and bushier. This did not seem like a good place to make a set up since I was in the bottom of two ravines. Given my supplies and the fact no one knew where I was I decided to turn back.
After thinking about this situation I decided the best thing to do was to stay on them until I was in a better spot to call then do some silent calling. What do you all think?
Paul?
mcnje032

First Name: Justin
Last Name: McNew

Re: Re-gathering call feedback

Postby N5J » 08 30, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Mcnje032,

Re-gathering calling for elk is some long pitchy mews with some chirps thrown in. I use this call when I’ve inadvertently or knowingly busted a herd of elk and elk are going everywhere…like a stamped. My guess if they didn’t bust out of there they didn’t wind you but one seen movement, so they decided to get some distance. Give them some time to settle down 1 hour or so that way they can feel comfortable that nothing is following them then reengage. You know where they are now so get a buddy or let someone know where you going and hunt that area!! Elk go where they feel comfortable (usually nasty) when pressured as long as they have food and water in the area they won’t go far. Good Luck!

N5J

James
N5J

First Name: J
Last Name: N

Postby mcnje032 » 08 31, 2012 •  [Post 3]

James,
Thanks for the feedback. I am heading out this morning. Good luck!
Justin
mcnje032

First Name: Justin
Last Name: McNew

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 31, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Like N5J mentions this regathering sound can be used nearly anywhere when appropriate! I've used it with success bumping them out of bedding & calling them back, I've used it in the feeding areas & transition areas & have called elk back to these spots as well. It doesn't work all the time but certainly worth a try if you accidentally bump some elk, all run but only a couple generally see you so the curiosity can get the best of a few that didn't & return! When giving the regathering sound stay put for 20-25 minutes & on high alert, many times they come back silent as a ghost!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul