Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Bulls bulls bulls.... I love opening week!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby eltaco » 08 29, 2012 •  [Post 1]

I'll preface by saying we haven't connected with one yet.... but every single day we're getting into elk. Sorry my posts have been pretty sparatic, but its tough to type everything out and not kill my batteries too.

So far this season we've seen 14 bulls, 8 of which I've called in. The bulls are hit or miss on whether they respond, but the bugling seems to be picking up quite a lot in the last couple of days.

Yesterday we took the day off to let everyone recoup for today's hunt. I decided to go out solo and sit a wallow last night, as I've had a trail Cam on it and its been getting hit frequently, although randomly. I won't get into the details but an Alaskan game bag saved my butt up there. About 45 minutes before last light I heard some bugles coming up the mountain towards me. I gave a locator bugle and ran to the downstream end of the wallow to see if they'd come check it out. 5mins later I had two spikes at 17yds... first dang spikes I've seen on that wallow in 3 weeks of trail Cam. While they were drinking I could hear another bull down below, but he sounded like a good bull. The spiked eventually caught my wind and trotted off so I threw a bugle and the bigger bull worked his way down to a wallow about 100yds below me. I shut off hoping he'd just follow the spikes in, but he thrashed the wallow and a tree and ended up rounding my clearing instead. Bummer luck. I ran down the clearing to get in front of him, but by the time I did I was down to 5mins of light and I couldn't see my pins any longer.

This morning we just got into another bull that was going wild over calling. We were setup in a cold calling situation and apparently he was returning bugles each time I bugled. I couldn't hear him from where I was but my uncle informed me of this when we met up, so we went up the hill after him. This bull came in on a string, but sounded like a raghorn at best. I got my guys setup and started back on the calls and raking a tree, and he would bugle back each time, nothing too aggressive, but lots of interest. He decided to cross a small clearing just above where my uncle was setup, went behind a tree and my uncle had a chance to draw back. The bull came to 26yds, popped his head out from the tree and spotted him... one more step and the arrow would have been airborne... my guess is my uncle was shaking like he was having an epileptic seizure based on the look on his face when I found him... hahah!! So no shot, but my uncle could use some new shorts. He said the bull was easily a big 5 with a very tall rack... would have never guessed it based in the bugles he was giving me.

All in all, we've had some DANG close calls, but no elk on the ground. I'm sure that if this luck keeps up it'll happen for us, but thaw guys are headed out on Friday evening. I'll be up thru Sunday, hope we can put some meat on the table. Good luck to you guys!
eltaco

Re: Bulls bulls bulls.... I love opening week!

Postby bullrub » 08 29, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Sounds like you guys are having a great time. Thanks for the update. And good luck.
bullrub

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Winters

Postby rjdumas » 08 29, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Man sounds like a lot of fun. I hope to see some this weekend. Get a kill so we have some pics to look at. Good luck and be safe.
rjdumas

First Name: rj
Last Name: dumas

Postby Vanish » 08 29, 2012 •  [Post 4]

You're killin me eltaco, since I know you're just "over the hill" from where we were hunting, and I bet the conditions are similar! Unfortunately, can't get up there until the long weekend and I bet it will die down by then.

Go kill one, then I'll send you some coords and you can come join me for a beer :D
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby eltaco » 08 29, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Vanish wrote:You're killin me eltaco, since I know you're just "over the hill" from where we were hunting, and I bet the conditions are similar! Unfortunately, can't get up there until the long weekend and I bet it will die down by then.

Go kill one, then I'll send you some coords and you can come join me for a beer :D

There's no reason for it to die down, buddy! Temps are supposed to drop in the next few days and I think things will start heating up very soon!!! This weekend should be a great time to be up at camp!

We have a good 5mi back to camp this evening, I'd better catch some rest!

Nothing seems to be moving around until the last hour of shooting light. Its been very hot up here!!
eltaco

Postby ElkManDan » 08 29, 2012 •  [Post 6]

You better get something on the ground soon. You are killing me with the almost stories. :)
ElkManDan

Postby easeup » 08 29, 2012 •  [Post 7]

great post going!
easeup

Postby eltaco » 08 29, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Got two more bulls to come in tonight... they're getting riled up fellas!!!! We can't seem to seal the freaking deal, but we're getting close each time. The first bull came in fairly mildly, was answering to every other bugle. Got him to about 50yds from my dad and the wind swirled to him... never heard from him again.

The second bull was awesome. We were running out of light so got my guys setup for one last calling sequence. Right when I got ready to call I looked down and saw an elk cruising a meadow at seriously almost a half mile away. I blew my loudest bugle and he came Unglued... ran straight at us and cut the distance to 80yds, but by the time he made it we were out of daylight.

Exciting day, and that makes 16 bulls in 4.5 days hunting, 10 of which have come in on calls. That's all great, but we need to seal the deal tomorrow, as my relatives have decided it'll be their last day.
eltaco

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 29, 2012 •  [Post 9]

eltaco wrote:Got two more bulls to come in tonight... they're getting riled up fellas!!!! We can't seem to seal the freaking deal, but we're getting close each time. The first bull came in fairly mildly, was answering to every other bugle. Got him to about 50yds from my dad and the wind swirled to him... never heard from him again.

The second bull was awesome. We were running out of light so got my guys setup for one last calling sequence. Right when I got ready to call I looked down and saw an elk cruising a meadow at seriously almost a half mile away. I blew my loudest bugle and he came Unglued... ran straight at us and cut the distance to 80yds, but by the time he made it we were out of daylight.

Exciting day, and that makes 16 bulls in 4.5 days hunting, 10 of which have come in on calls. That's all great, but we need to seal the deal tomorrow, as my relatives have decided it'll be their last day.

Tomorrow is the day Jeremy. Be aggressive and send your shooter(s) at that stinky bull and back away crashing loudly and do what you do best, sing them that sweet song! Best of luck.. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 30, 2012 •  [Post 10]

Jeremy, good stuff bud!!! Man what a hoot for the opener! That's a lot of elk talk happening so early!!! Great!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby mongopino915 » 08 30, 2012 •  [Post 11]

Eltaco, awesome job so far and great to hear that the bulls are responding. Keep it up and you will get her done before the season ends.

Hunted two morning on opening weekend and we also had some great encounters. Heard the first bugle this season on opening morning. The bull was about 150 yards down the hillside and wind from us (exactly where we did not want to come up from) when we set up. He bugled and started raking in response to cow mews/raking but we knew it was over the moment we heard him.

On the second morning, we saw nice fresh signs, set up, and started calling. Within 5 minutes, a mature cow came in fast down wind to check out the action. Had a shooter set up down wind to intercept but she slipped pass the shooter at 60 yards out towards the caller. She quietly turned away upon scenting us, and after about 3 - 4 minutes we heard the herd slipped out of the area. Did not know if a dominant bull was with the herd.

Second set up, heard our friend bugle from a distance responding to our calls. Every time he sounded off we would respond trying to fool our friend. He bugled his way in fast and maneuver down wind to check us out just like a hunter would do. Within 15 minutes, I saw our presumed friend (a nice 5x5) took off. Not really sure who got fooled.

Heading back out this weekend to hunt the full moon phase. Good luck to everyone.
mongopino915

Postby eltaco » 08 31, 2012 •  [Post 12]

One 5x5 down! Pics and stories later!
eltaco

Postby one_elk » 08 31, 2012 •  [Post 13]

Congrats man, lookn forward to the photos and story
one_elk

Postby Vanish » 08 31, 2012 •  [Post 14]

I knew you guys got one since we hadn't heard from you!
Vanish

Postby cantgetdrawn » 08 31, 2012 •  [Post 15]

Congrats! Keep the updates coming.
cantgetdrawn

Postby eltaco » 09 01, 2012 •  [Post 16]

Last night brought a fair bit of rain and slowed activity. We were looking forward to this morning to pick back up, but its been awefully quiet. We heard one bugle about a half hour before shooting light, but that was it. Hopefully things pick back up this evening.
eltaco

Postby dreamhunter » 09 01, 2012 •  [Post 17]

OMG !!! this is to much,as I sit here at home in my chair waiting on next sat to get here so we can head out for 2 weeks of hunting.Leave a couple for us to harvest. this is so exciting.I just turned another friend on to this forum and he's all jacked up now too,lol. I told him yea its addicting. I hope you can figure out the right set up so you can show us some pics afterwards.
dreamhunter

First Name: Holly
Last Name: Paugh

Postby slim9300 » 09 01, 2012 •  [Post 18]

eltaco wrote:One 5x5 down! Pics and stories later!

Congrats buddy! Go kill two more! ;)
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Vanish » 09 04, 2012 •  [Post 19]

Vanish wrote:You're killin me eltaco, since I know you're just "over the hill" from where we were hunting, and I bet the conditions are similar! Unfortunately, can't get up there until the long weekend and I bet it will die down by then.

eltaco wrote:Last night brought a fair bit of rain and slowed activity. We were looking forward to this morning to pick back up, but its been awefully quiet. We heard one bugle about a half hour before shooting light, but that was it. Hopefully things pick back up this evening.

Called it!

Why am I always a day late?

By the way, gratz on the kill!
Vanish

Postby eltaco » 09 04, 2012 •  [Post 20]

Vanish wrote:

eltaco wrote:Last night brought a fair bit of rain and slowed activity. We were looking forward to this morning to pick back up, but its been awefully quiet. We heard one bugle about a half hour before shooting light, but that was it. Hopefully things pick back up this evening.

Called it!

Why am I always a day late?

By the way, gratz on the kill!

No bugling this weekend for you? I got into one bull Sunday morning. He literally gave two chuckles and then shut off. Got close to him and got a few chuckles out of him, but he was far from interested in coming any closer.

Should pick back up just in time for muzzleloaders....

The bull was taken by my buddy. He showed up to camp on Thursday night, put him on a herd and Friday morning he tagged out. I elected to stay back that morning to see my family off, so I missed it all... well, all but the packout :) way stoked for my buddy, but wish I could have been along!
eltaco

Postby baddaddy » 09 06, 2012 •  [Post 21]

Sounds like you guys are having a great time.
baddaddy

Postby easeup » 09 06, 2012 •  [Post 22]

eltaco wrote:One 5x5 down! Pics and stories later!

congrats!! patiently waiting for the great hunt story.
easeup

Postby Vanish » 09 07, 2012 •  [Post 23]

Yeah what happened, its Friday, you were supposed to be back in town Tuesday. Don't be telling us you've had other things to do...
Vanish