Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What are you most excited about this season...

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What are you most excited about this season...

Postby Freebird134 » 08 28, 2012 •  [Post 1]

I leave for idaho in 10 days, and I'm stoked. I can't freakin wait!!!! I'll be bowhunting mule deer near my howetown (Twin Falls) for 5 days, then off for about 10 days of elk hunting in central Idaho. It's been 3 years since i"ve been elk hunting, and 6 years since I shot a mulie! I can't wait to sneak up close to a good mule deer (I know they are there, just gotta find them) or call in an elk! But while I was sitting here day dreaming, I realized the critters and pretty landscape aren't even what I'm most excited about. I'm most excited about spending time with family in places I love.

I haven't been home in 3 years. I haven't seen my Dad or best friend since my wedding a year an a half ago. My Dad works crazy long hours, usually nights, and is the kind of guy that does not call in sick or take a vacation day until they basically force him to. And they just ended a major job, and the bosses said "you need to burn some vacation time." So--for the first time in a long time--my pop has a week to focus on hunting and having a good time. His work schedule kept him from scouting this summer, but we know the area well enough to target the right areas. He's never killed killed anything but a carp with a bow, and I can't wait to see him with his first bowkill! And if that doesn't happen, we'll still have an amazing time. It's probably been apparent on this forum that I can joke around, giving and taking a little ribbing...and I get my sense of humor from him. It's going to be awesome.

Then it's 10 days with my best friend. A guy I met off a craigslist ad while looking for a singer for my band. :) We joke that we're like identical twins. We grew up in the same kind of family. We love the same kind of music (drove our bandmates crazy with impromptu Hank Jr. medleys). Both transplanted into Connecticut for work/school (and hating every minute if it). And we both love bowhunting. Our last time doing this trip (3 years ago), we didn't kill an elk. Still the best week of my life. When it's a rough day or week for me, I'll just flip through those pictures and I instantly relax. That was his first elk hunt and our first bivy hunt, and we learned a lot. We'll probably make mistakes again, and learn more, but it's going to be a heck of an adventure! I always think I'd like to try this solo some time, but there's no way I'd have as much fun.

Obviously, I'm stoked for a lot of reasons, including filling my freezer and putting some antlers on the wall. But I've realized I'm really most excited about the fun and memories I'll have with my family and friends. Don't get me wrong, I hunt hard and take my hunting seriously. But at the end of the day, if I eat tag soup it will taste just fine with the right company!!! :)
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Re: What are you most excited about this season...

Postby erictski » 08 28, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Sounds like a great reason to be excited.

I am also excited for this season. I have been wanting to do an archery elk hunt with my dad for years and this year we finally are able to do it. Just looking forward to spending some time with him and getting away from work and cell phones and computers for a while.
erictski

Postby Fulldraw » 08 28, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Sounds like you have a great attitude...it has no choice but to be a "successful" hunt, with or without a kill...

For me, just being in the mountains, and hearing the bulls sing...

Can't wait.
Fulldraw

First Name: Danny
Last Name: Bullock

Postby elkmtngear » 08 28, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Hope you guys have some great hunts with your Dads, and with your buddy, Freebird!

I have to say I am pretty stoked about doing some 4 day bivy trips into the Eastern Oregon Wilderness with my 18 year old daughter. It will be our last adventure together before she enters the Marine Corps Band. I told her Marine Training will seem like a breeze after this, especially if we get both an elk and a deer down one trip. I'm truly just looking forward to getting away with her, and trying to get her a shot opportunity. We have made some good memories hunting together, and hopefully it will light a fire in her that she will carry into her adult life.

Here's a pic of her from several years ago, when we hunted the Kalalau Trail together on the Island of Kauai.

Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby bullrub » 08 28, 2012 •  [Post 5]

It the time of year that I get to spend alot of time with my 2 boys, and that is what gets me excited every year.
bullrub

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Winters

Postby pointysticks » 08 28, 2012 •  [Post 6]

my stepdad passed away earlier this year. been a big burden..emotions run the full spectrum from guilt to anger.

brother and i managed a spring turkey hunt, but it wasnt fun. we were guilt ridden "having fun"..we both know damn well that my stepdad would be out there if he could, and would want us out in the field being happy.

this hunt coming up will symbolize the beginning of normalcy for my brother and i. something about a campfire gets us talking..and my brother and i probably need to flesh out some feelings. elk camp will be just the ticket.

my stepdad got us into hunting with waterfowl. he was best friends with the UTEP basketball coach. (remember that movie GLORY ROAD?)..everytime i strap on field boots i think about the days of running and gunning with the two old guys.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Freebird134 » 08 28, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Wow Jeff, you sure don't make her pack much!!! :)
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby foxvalley » 08 28, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Looking forward to spending time with my bro-in law for a couple weeks. Last year was a solo hunt for me,so this year we get to team up and employ all that we have learned. That and just getting back in the mtns. they have a very strong calling to me.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby Lefty » 08 28, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Im just excited to hunt. I feel over the past three years I have become a beeter and better archey hunter and elk hunter. I want and plan to try diffferent techniques and a few chances to hunt with my daughters
Im ready to go Friday after work.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby hornart » 08 28, 2012 •  [Post 10]

I`m very excited about this years hunting,,as I get to take a Vietnam Veteran on his first ever elk hunt,,and I have 5 grandchildren on their first ever elk hunt this year and just being out in the hunting camp with family makes everything great
hornart

First Name: steve
Last Name: smith

Postby one_elk » 08 28, 2012 •  [Post 11]

My wife drew a couple good Muzzleloader tags (one elk, one deer) so looking forward to spending the week of ML season with her chasing elk and deer. We have done a fair bit of scouting and things are looking great. Should be a fun time
one_elk

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 28, 2012 •  [Post 12]

Nice thread Freebird. Sounds like you and many others are getting ready for great adventures in the elk woods. I'll be in the Gem state myself the last two weeks of SEP a bit farther north of where you're hunting. I'm "really" looking forward to taking a guy out for a four day WA hunt in a few weeks. He's relatively new to the whole bowhunting elk during the rut thing so it should be a fun. Gonna try my best to get him close to a snot nosed, mud caked, PO'ed (you get the picture) bull or two in a WA wilderness area. Should be good times. :shock:
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Gazelle » 08 28, 2012 •  [Post 13]

My Nev Elk tag!
Gazelle

First Name: Tony
Last Name: Reinolds

Postby Sucobowhunter » 08 28, 2012 •  [Post 14]

I am looking forward to spending a couple bivy trips with my new fiancé. She hunted with me last year a couple day hunts( first year hunting anything)and this year is gonna do a couple bivy trips. I still get my week but should be awesome with her.
Sucobowhunter

First Name: Jason
Last Name: Heney

Postby easeup » 08 28, 2012 •  [Post 15]

nice post freebird. strange but true category story. :)

I'm cranked up too; but I always get excited when I go to the rockies...but elk hunting is always super special. just can't get enough.
this year I have a newbee on board. Only the Lord knows what kind of things will happen; but I know it wil be an awesome blessing.....
Again!
easeup

Postby Magic » 08 28, 2012 •  [Post 16]

That my Son and I will be making yet another trip to Colorado. I have a license, he does not, but it will be OUR hunt together. ;)
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D