Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Thoughts on camp location

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Thoughts on camp location

Postby BobcatJerry » 08 26, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Heading back to Idaho this year. Two years ago we packed up a closed BLM road about a mile and this was actually the first hunting area we come too where we hunt, as the road was a cut on a very steep hill. It was a great camp and didn't really penetrate the hunting area too much, but saved us 2 miles a day (of useless walking) from where we camped the year before. We didn't go last year. Being public land, I have to plan that someone else may have the same Idea and beat us to it. I figure we would press further up into the hunting area and make camp. Whats your thoughts on a base camp in the hunting area? We usually have a small fire in the evening, a drink or two and BS around the camp, nothing wild, small 4 man tent. If I was soloing, i would just set up a tent and not worry too much. I know the minimalist are going to bash it, but wouldn't mind hearing some thoughts from others with this experience. We usually get up and knock off 6-8 miles up the basin. I hear guys say they hear the bulls bugling around camp (we never did), so others must be camping in the hunting area. I don't have many other options.
BobcatJerry

First Name: Jerry
Last Name: F

Re: Thoughts on camp location

Postby T/H » 08 26, 2012 •  [Post 2]

you only increase your odds when you "sleep with the elk" imho. if you have elk tracks in your camp and or hear bugles at night you know you are in the right spot :)
T/H

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 27, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Sounds just fine, don't concern yourself too much with blowing elk out of an area! I wouldn't purposefully set camp right in a huge meadow where elk are feeding during the night, but if a few elk spooked because of your presence in that area it's no big deal. Elk do not go far or spook out of a basin because you are near a feeding area, nothing like if you camped in their bedding area!! (grin) The higher up you camp you generally the safer you are from them, most areas elk travel level or down for night time activities. Just check for fresh sign in spots you choose!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Vanish » 08 27, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Hi Bobcat.

I'm no expert, but I think it sounds fine. I know plenty of people who camp right at the road and huff it in each morning. Of course, this is 15+ miles in on a dirt road as well. Oh, that's me! We do 1-2 miles to our first setup in the morning, though we have run into elk closer to camp.

I'd love to backpack in some day, but it just doesn't work with my partners. The other issue is you better dang well know the elk are there, as its a long walk to move!
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby BobcatJerry » 08 27, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Thanks guys, makes me feel better if plan A doesn't work out. Counting the days.
BobcatJerry

First Name: Jerry
Last Name: F

Postby Lefty » 08 27, 2012 •  [Post 6]

I like to walk a mile before I plan to hunt however there isnt a better bad nights sleep than listening to cows and calves mewing and bulls buggling
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby G Posik » 08 29, 2012 •  [Post 7]

A couple of years ago in Colorado we had set a base camp about 2 miles from the highway. We were about 50' off of a forest road. 0230 we get the wake call, bull elk screaming about 50 yds from the tent. We had a fire going earlier, cooked and good meal sat around and had a few drinks. We were a good 5 mile drive from where we were hunting. If all of that did not scare the elk away....... By the way there was 8 people in base camp at the time.

Glenn
G Posik

First Name: Glenn
Last Name: Posik