Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk Hunting - Second Weekend

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk Hunting - Second Weekend

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 08 26, 2012 •  [Post 1]

How was everyone's first hunt? I'll start.

Hunted 7 miles yesterday with cold call setups. Seen two small 3 point bucks, 1 bear, and 1 spike bull. Used soft cow calls, estrus buzz, nervous grunts, and location bugles with and without chuckles. Got one response, worked the bull but wind was shifting and we got busted. Never got sight of him.

Rough first day.....to dang hot. Drank a lot of Wilderness Athlete(Hydrate and Recover).

Advice: Hunt high elevations and drink plenty of fluids.
JohnFitzgerald

Re: Elk Hunting - First Weekend

Postby dito » 08 26, 2012 •  [Post 2]

was pretty lame for us. Didn't see any elk or deer. Will be going back up on Thursday hopefully we can get into some pre rut action then.
dito

First Name: Armando
Last Name: Vigil

Postby dreamhunter » 08 26, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Thanks guys,this is good info to be getting.Keep it coming
dreamhunter

First Name: Holly
Last Name: Paugh

Postby mtnmutt » 08 26, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I missed opening day, so only had this morning. Going out again on Thursday for a long weekend hunt.

Saturday night: I saw a nice spike at 7 pm as I was driving in on the forest service road. I saw some nice mulies next to the 2 lane highways with velvet.

I tried light mews, but never had a bite. They may have been busted out on Saturday. They come back during the week with light hunter activity. It is a heavily hunted area on weekends.

It was hot at 10,500 feet. I know they may be higher. Last year when it was hot, I saw them head to bedding at 10,500 ft.

The area I hunted is bone dry compared to last year. I will likely hunt a creek next weekend because of how dry it is. The creek was good in 2010, but bad last year (2011) when there was water everywhere and they had no need for the creek. 2010 was pretty dry too, so I am hoping they stop at the creek before bedding down. The area above the creek hits 11,500 feet which makes a nice bedding area.
mtnmutt

Postby T/H » 08 26, 2012 •  [Post 5]

good luck guys. my first day is Sept 1. getting butterflies
T/H

Postby Sucobowhunter » 08 27, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Hunted both days.. Really high elevation on mt. Massive in co.. Saw two of the biggest bulls I have ever seen!! A big 6 and I walked into each other at 10 yards.. I got him to stop with a bugle but he moved to other side of meadow.. Within minutes his buddy's came by a rag horn 4 point and a Monster 7.. Got em to stop again but no shot..they had about 20 cows with em but not bugling and not rutting.. We let em lie down.. It was about 10 in morn. Found em sun morn with more cows but we went right they went left.. Great opener.. Also took my girl on her first bivy and it was awesome..can't wait for next weekend when my 3 week hunting vaca kicks in..
Sucobowhunter

First Name: Jason
Last Name: Heney

Postby bullrub » 08 27, 2012 •  [Post 7]

First day seen our herd no elk, seen one nice buck. Secound day 9 cows and calfs no bulls, 3 little buck and one nice one. I couldn't figure out where the elk had went that had been in are area. Then I found out that there had been hunters in there the whole week before the season scouting. My youngest boy said that there was people tracks all over our trails that we keep cut out. The last pics he had of any elk on his trail cam was the 22nd Aug. Scouting is one thing, but when you find that there are elk in the area, stay out of it. They ended up pushing all the elk out of there.

We set and check are trails cam,but we stay out of the area 2 weeks before the season starts.
bullrub

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Winters

Elk Hunting - First Weekend

Postby BarW » 08 27, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Hunted up to 12600 feet in our area seen no elk only good sign was over 12000 feet. Tried some cow calling but no response.
BarW

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Wiggins

Postby hornart » 08 27, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Had a friend of mine got his elk saturday morning,,small 5x5 but it will be tasty,,
Attachments
sean elk.jpg
sean elk.jpg (5.87 KiB) Viewed 15964 times
hornart

First Name: steve
Last Name: smith

Postby bullrub » 08 27, 2012 •  [Post 10]

hornart wrote:Had a friend of mine got his elk saturday morning,,small 5x5 but it will be tasty,,

Hey Steve tell your friend good job, and congrats.
bullrub

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Winters

Postby dreamhunter » 08 27, 2012 •  [Post 11]

This is great stuff !! I have never had this kind of info heading into a hunt before.This is so exciting and I hope the weather cools by the time i get out in the high country. Keep it coming guys,thanks so much
dreamhunter

First Name: Holly
Last Name: Paugh

Postby eltaco » 08 27, 2012 •  [Post 12]

We've had a couple of great experiences already this year. After 3 days of hunting, we've gotten into 9 bulls. Craziest thing is 5 of them have been 6x6... not typical for my area at all. We've had two shot opportunities, but neither connected. I've had some good luck with responses or elk sneaking in to cow calls and location bugles. Bulls are starting to stage with cows, had a great 6x6 bugling back at me yesterday, trying to steal my cows away. Also pulled a 5x5 accross an open park meadow with a cow decoy... what a rush that was!!!

Overall, we haven't tagged an elk yet, but we're having a lot of fun. Unfortunately, I'm the only one in our group of 4 who can call or has experience with elk hunting, so its a bit more challenging, but these guys are smiles ear to ear right now :)

Good luck to you guys! Man, I love opening week!
eltaco

Postby rjdumas » 08 27, 2012 •  [Post 13]

First morning went out solo went in 5-6 miles. Seen nothing no sign no nothing.

Sunday I went out hiked all over all day. Nothing no fresh sign, no nothing. Made it down the mt. and got stung on my lower eye lid and chin.
Lucky I was smart and had my Epipen but man I hate bees. My eye is jacked up and almost swollen shut. I hope I get my first elk this year and make it worth it. ha ha
rjdumas

First Name: rj
Last Name: dumas

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 08 28, 2012 •  [Post 14]

rjdumas wrote:First morning went out solo went in 5-6 miles. Seen nothing no sign no nothing.

Sunday I went out hiked all over all day. Nothing no fresh sign, no nothing. Made it down the mt. and got stung on my lower eye lid and chin.
Lucky I was smart and had my Epipen but man I hate bees. My eye is jacked up and almost swollen shut. I hope I get my first elk this year and make it worth it. ha ha

I carry an epi as well. Did you have to use it?
JohnFitzgerald

Postby rjdumas » 08 28, 2012 •  [Post 15]

Yeah i had to you use it. Worked great to I think without using it I could of been in trouble. Cause one got me on the eye lid and the chin. I used it and after I had bad swelling but no breathing problems.

I think next weekend on Saturday night I'm going to try either the silvies or maury. Anyone hunt those units? I can't take the indigo unit anymore.
rjdumas

Postby Freebird134 » 08 28, 2012 •  [Post 16]

Man guys, you are making me jealous!!! I don't get to hunt for a couple weeks still!!!! Good luck to you all!
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby GhostStalker » 08 28, 2012 •  [Post 17]

rjdumas where were you at in the Indigo? I havent hunted the Silvies, but I have heard good things about the unit. I'm gonna head up behind Lemolo lake this weekend and see whats going on. We didnt see anything or any sign on last weekend. Followed the cavalry up the hwy you would have thought they were evacuating southern oregon.
GhostStalker

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: R

Postby stringunner » 08 28, 2012 •  [Post 18]

FYI the Maury unit is draw unit only. Have to draw the deer tag to hunt elk. Silvies is decent but very very dry this year. Lots of pressure up there this past weekend as well. Murders creek wasn't as bad and there was still some water here and there. either are decent units.
stringunner

Postby rjdumas » 08 29, 2012 •  [Post 19]

Hey Ghoststalker I was north of Dorena Lake. We biked and hiked all over those hills. Went into these ponds in thick forest and not one fresh sign. Man it sucked not seeing anything fresh. I was thinking of going east, but might be a bad idea. I bet a lot of people are going to go over east this weekend. I just want to get a cow and at least over east they talk a little more. And better shooting lanes. I have a lot of respect for guys and gals that can hunt the western units. And can get Bulls every year with a bow.

Stringunner Thanks for that FYI I looked at page 80 and looked at the units under One Bull Elk and seen Maury. Didn't look under where it says Exceptions wow that could of been bad. Thank you for that heads up. Silvies is the one I really wanted to go to cause of the One Elk. I'm ok with a cow. Thanks again.
rjdumas

Postby dito » 08 29, 2012 •  [Post 20]

Going back up tomorrow. Going to stay till Monday afternoon. Unless we by chance get something then we'll bring it down to get it in a cooler and head back up. Pretty excited!
dito

Re: Elk Hunting - Second Weekend

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 09 03, 2012 •  [Post 21]

Even with the flu, I still went up hunting. Called in a little rag 3x3 for my buddy. Five mile pack out, mostly down hill, thank goodness. Left my bugle by the gut pile....ugh! Can wait to hunt with my full time crew on our 10 day hunt! More bulls are getting a dirt nap for sure. Story and pictures still to come.

Ok here's the story:

A buddy of mine, not part of my regular crew, called me up and ask if I would help him hunt a nice 6x6 that had eluded him. So I agreed and the next morning we drove 3 hours, then walked 4 miles into wilderness. Just as we got to the base, light started to show itself. We then had to climb 1600' in elevation in less than 1/2 mile to get to a bench. Spotted a spike and raghorn bull bedded. No sign of the 6x6 toad. Wind was in our favor so we circled and found a nice game trail to walk on and close the distance. Got within 60 yards and I tried to give a nervous grunt, but what I failed to realize was my mouth reed was ripped. So it "Squeaked". Oops! Immediately switched to another reed and gave a nervous grunt uphill. The little raghorn stepped out of some Jack Pines and looked uphill long enough for my shooter to release an arrow. Another 80 yards later the work began. Here's the picture. Sorry it's so crappy! Weight saving was a big issue on this hunt since it was so tough and we left the camera back at the truck. Hard hunt but well worth it!
Attachments
3point.JPG
3point.JPG (238.14 KiB) Viewed 15515 times
JohnFitzgerald

Postby rjdumas » 09 03, 2012 •  [Post 22]

Ah I'm so pissed. We haven't been seeing anything in the indigo unit. So we got some info to go try east Fort Rock.
Well we scouted with google maps found the spot we heard about and went out. Well on our way over Saturday night we seen 12 mule deer on the side of the highway (alive).
1 huge 4 point wish I'd had a shot on him in the day.

Well we get over there and hiked all over. We seen 5 doe's no bucks, or elk. We looked on the map and found a flat field and water.
We drove to that field trying to find out what our next move was. Where to hike into and all that.

Well I came around a corner and there was the 2nd biggest bull I've seen out in the woods. He sees us and heads to the trees. We tried to back out for a while and get ahead of him and didn't see him or another elk again. So pissed off right now.
rjdumas

Postby mongopino915 » 09 03, 2012 •  [Post 23]

The Aspen is starting to turn and the bulls are getting their vocal chord ready. Herds are starting to form and full rut should be back to normal schedule this season (right during Muzzle-loading season).

Had the opportunity to hunt solo over the Labor Day weekend with the wife and daughter at camp. Went on Saturday morning, called in a nice 5x5, cow and a 4x4 rag horn. Got caught as I attempted to move after calling. There was a nice size tree right there, quickly took cover, came to full draw with the 5x5 looking right at me at 40 yards. Opted not to take a frontal shot.

Went out Saturday evening for a quick hunt. Accidentally busted some cows in the cool thicket. Set up right in the thicket hoping there would be other elk near by. 15 minutes later, heard a tree branch snap, holy crap, a huge body 5x5 was right there at 20 yards, calm and relax. Quickly came to full draw and had a 20" open shooting lane about 5 yards in front of the bull. The bull slowly moved towards the my little shooting lane but stopped short. Moved the pin right in the shoulder but some twigs were in the way. Waited about 30 seconds (seemed like an eternity with my heart rate at 120 beats/min). The bull slowly turned and walked away. The big guy above must have must other plans for me this season as I am sure it was going happen right then and there.

Sunday morning, heard several bulls bugle with a vocal herd bull going up the mountain to bed down. Dogged the herd for about 1.5 miles up the hill with a bugle here and there just to keep track of the herd. Was disappointed to hear the Terminator come in to intercept. Just walked away. Bumped a spike and some cows on the way down back to the truck. Came home on Sunday to avoid great Labor Day E-bound I-70 traffic jam.

Will be back next Saturday for 16 days till the end of the season with some Muzzle-loader friends and friends from out of state.

Very pleased with the season so far.

Good Luck to all and be safe.
mongopino915

Postby dito » 09 03, 2012 •  [Post 24]

Nothing but frustration so far. Been hunting one sub division where I have called in elk before but not even seeing deer. I think a bordering ranch may be baiting or chasing the animals in. So switched to another sub division that doesn't allow hunting in it but borders the national forest. Last night the wind was swirling so that was a bummer. This morning we heard a couple of bugles so I responded with some excited cow calls but no action. Then it got really windy and we had to call it for the weekend. Looks like the weather is going to stay hot for a while.
dito