Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Hoochie Mamma Call!!!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Hoochie Mamma Call!!!

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 24, 2012 •  [Post 1]

OK fellow hunters! I know many have this squeeze call, it has decent tone too but it's also the most over used cow call in the woods today especially by newer elk hunters because of its ease of use! Be careful making it your "goto" cow sounds. Be willing to use it as an additional cow sound with ones mouth reeds or external type cow calls while in blind/cold calling setups or encounters. Limit oneself in walking around & squeezing it without really paying attention, this is easy to do! Not saying don't use one, just be smart in its use, it is widely used & over used! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Re: Hoochie Mamma Call!!!

Postby gman82001 » 08 24, 2012 •  [Post 2]

but all the videos show the bulls come running when they squeeze it :roll:
gman82001

Postby bnsafe » 08 24, 2012 •  [Post 3]

lol. my cousin just bought one. i may hunt a different mountain, lol.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby dreamhunter » 08 24, 2012 •  [Post 4]

walking , squeezing and not paying attention sounds like my first or second year elk hunting. Then all of the sudden we hear this nervous grunt ,( sounded like a big dog barking ) it was already to late.He had us pegged and busted. We did get to see him and he was a shooter in my book,just not that chapter ,lol . I have several mouth reeds that i have been practicing with this year thanks to Elknut.com .So I feel this year will be different.
dreamhunter

First Name: Holly
Last Name: Paugh

Postby sockeye » 08 24, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Have one but, nice and clean on my reloading shelf where it will stay for the 4th season in a row. Have a couple external reeds and mouth calls for the go-to calls.
A couple years ago A buddy of mine was up in a tree stand over a wallow and he started hearing the same call every few seconds or so. As time went on the call came closer and closer until he spotted the source. The source was a hunter, Hoochie in one hand a bow with a nocked arrow in the other. The "Hunter" looked like Elmer Fudd blowing the Hoochie every 10-15 yards as he skirted from tree to tree. Pretty comical, never even seen my buddy in the tree nor realized he just walked past a wallow. Needless to say no elk visited the wallow that evening.
sockeye

First Name: Clint
Last Name: Scott

Postby bullrub » 08 24, 2012 •  [Post 6]

I took mine apart with a hacksaw after the first year i had it and use it as a mouth blow call works great that way.
Now someone was telling me the other day that they are making one like that now.
bullrub

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Winters

Postby GhostStalker » 08 24, 2012 •  [Post 7]

I sure wouldn't leave it at home. However, I would use it very minimally and only use it if your doing some herd talk so you can incorporate it with other calls. Its a little loud in my book so when I use it I squeeze it off in my coat or pant pocket to muffle the sound a little.
GhostStalker

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: R

Postby Freebird134 » 08 24, 2012 •  [Post 8]

But why would Eastman's give them away with every subscription if they weren't essential to elk hunting success?????
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 08 24, 2012 •  [Post 9]

I carry 2 of them. Rarely do I ever use them but when I do it's to imitate simple herd chatter. For cold call setups I walk one over the top of the other. Or I walk one over the top of my mouth reed. I've called in several young bulls doing this.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby easeup » 08 24, 2012 •  [Post 10]

hoochie takes alot a heat on the internet forums. I think they work great and am not ashamed to use it either.
I got diaphragms, bite and blow types, the hoochie and bugle tube. they are all great tools.

when mixed in with the others, I call it "singing with the choir".
easeup

Postby T/H » 08 24, 2012 •  [Post 11]

easeup wrote:hoochie takes alot a heat on the internet forums. I think they work great and am not ashamed to use it either.
I got diaphragms, bite and blow types, the hoochie and bugle tube. they are all great tools.

when mixed in with the others, I call it "singing with the choir".

i agree. the more guys that leave theirs at home the better i like it. they seem to like the Hoochie and Baby Hoochie in NM. my buddy Jimmy called in a nice 6x6 and his brother (my other buddy) killed him at 6 yards last year in south central NM. my first encounter with any elk was called in with a hoochie mama from the next ridge over so he musta liked what he herd :) and that was the one that got me hooked on elk even though i didn't kill him. when used in the right situation the Hoochie Mama can be a deadly call to have. jmho
T/H

Postby horseshoe » 08 24, 2012 •  [Post 12]

for the record, eastmans gave the external reed call "imaka da bullcrazy" away with their subscriptions...not too bad either.

as for the hoochie, yes, as newbie last year i used it, but not as freely as the guy mentioned above. studied the playbook before we went....(a lot of that really kicks in AFTER you experience it!) and, we always mixed it up with a diaphragm and/or an external reed to simulate the herd talk....how am i doing elknut?

and yes, we called in a couple bulls with it used this way. both were blind calling set-ups and both bulls were silent. the first was a decent 5x, that was probably the herd bull in that otc unit, and he came GALLOPING down the mtn to 35+/- yds! i would love to say we closed the deal, but no, i shot a wee bit right (trad bow... not an excuse!) and he spun out of the shot at release! the other was smaller and he appeared out of no where at 25yds! he caught my buddies scent on the thermals (we were spread out in a blind calling setup) as he started toward me. :(

so, you can bet ur a## i will use it again!

but now, based on all the advice here, i also have the closer, raging bull (but i do not do diaphragms consistently well) and temptress (among others!) to try and close the deal this year! .....

i think i have the sickness!
horseshoe

Postby MTLongdraw » 08 24, 2012 •  [Post 13]

I don't have any personal experience with the Hoochie because of exactly whats been said on here. I leave it at home. In fact, I've been told you have a better chance of getting them to stay after you shoot them versus blowing the call. :)
MTLongdraw

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Volinkaty

Hoochie Mamma Call!!!

Postby Freebird134 » 08 25, 2012 •  [Post 14]

horseshoe wrote:for the record, eastmans gave the external reed call "imaka da bullcrazy" away with their subscriptions...not too bad either.

Maybe when you joined, but I've got a hoochie with an Eastmans logo on it from when I joined.
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby >>>---WW----> » 08 25, 2012 •  [Post 15]

I've had several call ins ruined by other hunters using this call. But for you eastern hunters that hunt fox squirells, it is great. Just slowloy depress the rubber bulb down without making any sound until you can feel the little plunger inside. Then pump the plunger several times quickly. It sounds like a squirell barking.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Buglemaster » 08 25, 2012 •  [Post 16]

Freebird134 wrote:
horseshoe wrote:for the record, eastmans gave the external reed call "imaka da bullcrazy" away with their subscriptions...not too bad either.

Maybe when you joined, but I've got a hoochie with an Eastmans logo on it from when I joined.

I also have one with eastmans logo. never have used it, altho it sounds decent. I think it would be fine used in conjunction with a reed to sound as multiple herd talk.Gonna try it this year.Shure wish I was up there today! Somebody's gutting a bull!
Buglemaster

Last Name: Shaklee

Postby horseshoe » 08 25, 2012 •  [Post 17]

ya, i see eastmans is now giving the knife with the sub. they change up now and then, apparently.

i still like the call. quite a few around here really don't like it obviously, but i think it is how it used by some that gives it the bad rep.

i like it being held in one hand and use the other to work an ext reed or use a diaphragm at the same time to simulate several cows together...not fox squirrels!
at least i don't think that was a giant fox squirrel galloping down the mtn at us! :)

no matter how you want to do it....good hunting to all!
horseshoe

Postby shooter21 » 08 25, 2012 •  [Post 18]

I dont have and will never have one but if its in your pant pocket it make an ok sound IMOP !!
shooter21

First Name: vincent
Last Name: lopez

Hoochie Mamma Call!!!

Postby iRem » 08 25, 2012 •  [Post 19]

Dude I can't even use it correctly. It never works the first time I squeeze it and maybe the second time! I know I have used it wrong in the past, so I just give it to a hunting partner and tell them to squeeze it a couple times as we walk, it sucks and it might just be me! LOL
iRem

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 25, 2012 •  [Post 20]

Not to be flippant, but I personally like when hunters use the hoochie... That way, I can always tell it's a hunter and not an elk. The call works OK when used with more realistic calls made with a diaphram or a few of the better reed calls but not alone.. That's my .02. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby tracker12 » 08 26, 2012 •  [Post 21]

I went down to Unit 61 two years ago scouting and used it to call in several bulls. I don't like keeping a diaphragm in my mouth all the time so I keep it on my hip and can give a chirp with little movement. May not be the go to cal but It has a place in the bag.
tracker12

Postby Wyo67 » 08 26, 2012 •  [Post 22]

I'm with RJ... I have taken a turn in the opposite direction when I hear a hunter squeezing the hoochie like there's no tomorrow. I do carry one though, just another tool in the bag.
Wyo67

Postby Vanish » 08 27, 2012 •  [Post 23]

This past weekend I got to hear Hoochie madness and I got to see two bulls turn away from it. Even got it on video.

I think one of the problems people have is that they don't use it at the right time / cadence. I heard a lot of single notes every 30 seconds. But I guess since it makes the same sound every single time, if you put them back to back it ALSO sounds weird.

* I do own one, I mix it in with other calls.
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby bullrub » 08 27, 2012 •  [Post 24]

Theelkhunter wrote:
bullrub wrote:I took mine apart with a hacksaw after the first year i had it and use it as a mouth blow call works great that way.
Now someone was telling me the other day that they are making one like that now.

I think its called the lip service. A friend just gave me one and it is loud! Gonna try and put cotton in the end of it too. I'm afraid to blow it in the woods the way it is now!

Try cupping your hand around the end of the call. Then open and close your hand.
bullrub

Postby bullrub » 08 27, 2012 •  [Post 25]

It is a great call, but is the most over used call out there because it is so easy to use.
bullrub

Postby >>>---WW----> » 08 27, 2012 •  [Post 26]

With a diaphram you can mew, bugle, chirp, squeal, bark, grunt, chuckle, buzz, and a whole lot of other stuff. With the Hoochie Koochie, you can make the same one sound over and over and over an over. It's kinda like the EverReady bunny on TV. Elk wise up to it pretty quick.

Look at if in human words. When you squeeze the Hoochi, you are giving out a mew and in elk talk you might be saying come to me. You are good with that until a bull gives a sharp hi bugle or chuckles which in most cases, he is telling the cow/you to come to him. Then you squeeze it and once again ask him to come to you. So now you are a stubborn old b--ch playing hard to get and the bull says adios!

Yes, I know there have been many elk fall to that call. But there have also been many called in with a piese of coiled gas pipe too. So in other words, when there is something better out there, you'd do good to try to learn how to use it.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby bullrub » 08 27, 2012 •  [Post 27]

>>>---WW----> wrote:With a diaphram you can mew, bugle, chirp, squeal, bark, grunt, chuckle, buzz, and a whole lot of other stuff. With the Hoochie Koochie, you can make the same one sound over and over and over an over. It's kinda like the EverReady bunny on TV. Elk wise up to it pretty quick.

Look at if in human words. When you squeeze the Hoochi, you are giving out a mew and in elk talk you might be saying come to me. You are good with that until a bull gives a sharp hi bugle or chuckles which in most cases, he is telling the cow/you to come to him. Then you squeeze it and once again ask him to come to you. So now you are a stubborn old b--ch playing hard to get and the bull says adios!

Yes, I know there have been many elk fall to that call. But there have also been many called in with a piese of coiled gas pipe too. So in other words, when there is something better out there, you'd do good to try to learn how to use it.

Amen
bullrub

Postby horseshoe » 08 27, 2012 •  [Post 28]

trolling with the hoochie! i guess i have to re-read elknut's playbook. i missed that chapter!
horseshoe

Postby T/H » 08 28, 2012 •  [Post 29]

Phantom16 wrote:Not to be flippant, but I personally like when hunters use the hoochie... That way, I can always tell it's a hunter and not an elk. The call works OK when used with more realistic calls made with a diaphram or a few of the better reed calls but not alone.. That's my .02. RJ

so the question then begs to be asked........ its not really the Hoochie Mama per se. lets call a spade a spade. it's over calling, bad calling or misguided calling! the guy that goes out into the elkwoods and blasts the Hyper Lip (i can hear those a mile away too) or any of the bite n blows (and give it a year or 2 the Temptress) without any rhyme or reason is simply over calling, calling bad or misusing the call, and God forbid if anyone overcalls with a reed or is just plain bad with a reed. its all the same :)
T/H

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 28, 2012 •  [Post 30]

T/H wrote:
Phantom16 wrote:Not to be flippant, but I personally like when hunters use the hoochie... That way, I can always tell it's a hunter and not an elk. The call works OK when used with more realistic calls made with a diaphram or a few of the better reed calls but not alone.. That's my .02. RJ

so the question then begs to be asked........ its not really the Hoochie Mama per se. lets call a spade a spade. it's over calling, bad calling or misguided calling! the guy that goes out into the elkwoods and blasts the Hyper Lip (i can hear those a mile away too) or any of the bite n blows (and give it a year or 2 the Temptress) without any rhyme or reason is simply over calling, calling bad or misusing the call, and God forbid anyone overcalls with a reed or is just plain bad with a reed. its all the same :)

I concur... Well put.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ