Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Shoot one early or wait until hunting season?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Shoot one early or wait until hunting season?

Postby Coveyleader » 08 23, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Those of living in the West know that it's still summer. In two to three weeks it will be fall in the high country. Do you like to kill elk early? I will be honest, in the last 10 years I've only hunted late September twice. I almost feel cheated shooting elk the first week. I have a good early season spot, but three years ago hunted late and loved it. Biving, chasing, calling, bugles............ Or the flip side green aspens, 1 hour in the AM, another in the PM.......... Early season elk. Productive but about as lame as it gets.

August elk hunting........ does it getting any worse?
Coveyleader

First Name: M
Last Name: Lewis

Re: Shoot one early or wait until hunting season?

Postby Spike elk » 08 23, 2012 •  [Post 2]

If you are hunting it can't be that bad!
Spike elk

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Smith

Postby Bullnuts » 08 23, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Lame? I'm not so sure about that. In my area the elk are routinely bugling like mad on opening day and keep right on going until the 3rd weekend when the Muzzy hunters show up. They'll still bugle at night but there are a lot more guys in the woods then so it doesn't take much to shut them down. The last weekend of the season can be productive, but the elk are pretty smart by then and unless you like toting an oxygen bottle around with you when you're out chasing them, they'll more often leave you in the dust rather than come trotting in to see what all the calling's about. I've killed the majority of my elk before the 5th of September so I'll take the early season over late any day.
Bullnuts

Postby mongopino915 » 08 24, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Not really sure what you meant by "lame" but if you need to hear elk bugling to find elk, you will have a hard time during the early (pre-rut) season. The elk are not as vocal but will respond to calls. It has it own challenges but that's what makes it interesting.

If you are hunting on pressured OTC public land, shoot the first legal elk that presents itself or you may end up empty handed. I will not hesitate to take down the first legal elk I see this weekend despite scheduling the third and fourth week off from work.
mongopino915

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 24, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Personally, we just love hunting elk, period! (grin) I understand the "lame" statement to a degree, early season less vocal elk don't compare to hot cows & screaming bulls! It all depends on what one is looking for during his hunt & his experience level? If you've been bow hunting a few years with little to no success or just have limited hunting time then yes hunters should consider the 1st legal elk. We look for branch antlered bulls for the most part but god forbid a spike step out in front of bowelkdown because that poor buggers life span will be shortened! (grin) All in all life is good when it's elk season, give 100% & have fun doing it no matter the rut phase!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby bnsafe » 08 24, 2012 •  [Post 6]

for better or worse im muzzy huntin (feel like im cheating on my bow), but its my first elk hunt and wanted to increase my odds. my whole goal is hear one bugle. if that happens it will be successful for me, if not im gonna be very very disappointed. with that said, the first legal elk i see in range is at least gettin shot at.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby Coveyleader » 08 24, 2012 •  [Post 7]

I'm heading out in minutes. My lame statement is referring to the fact it's summer, hot, doesn't feel like fall or hunting season to be honest. The end of September feels like elk hunting, or hunting period. When I walk out and feel fall the first thing that comes to mind is hunting. Loading my truck minutes ago I don't have that feeling. Early season OTC elk is productive, but not too exciting in my book.
Coveyleader

Postby bullrub » 08 24, 2012 •  [Post 8]

There is never a bad time to hunt elk, just some better than others.
bullrub

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Winters

Postby Sucobowhunter » 08 24, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Feels like fall here in Co.. Been raining for days.. Lows down to the low 30s.. My buddy heard bugles yesterday.. I'm leaving for camp in a few minutes.. Good luck all!!
Sucobowhunter

First Name: Jason
Last Name: Heney

Postby dreamhunter » 08 24, 2012 •  [Post 10]

Here's mine and my buddies philosophy since we have yet to kill an elk. IF it's brown , IT'S DOWN !!
dreamhunter

First Name: Holly
Last Name: Paugh

Postby mcnje032 » 08 29, 2012 •  [Post 11]

whats muzzy hunting?
mcnje032

First Name: Justin
Last Name: McNew

Postby N5J » 08 30, 2012 •  [Post 12]

I don't care if I'm 5 minutes into my hunt, if I get a shot on a cow or spike I'm taking it. Meat in the freezer is better than eating tag soup! If I tag out early...I will turn to the caller/packer for my hunting partner.

N5J

James
N5J

First Name: J
Last Name: N

Postby >>>---WW----> » 08 30, 2012 •  [Post 13]

What did you have for supper last nite? I had fresh backstrap. How lame is that!!!!!!!!!!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby one_elk » 08 30, 2012 •  [Post 14]

"Shoot one early or wait until hunting season" think I best wait till huntin season, but once it starts I am over waiting for a bigger bull, better opportuinty etc...for me any shot I am confident of making I am taking....best of luck to all and don't forget to use those optics, they will last alot longer than you legs...
one_elk

Postby Coveyleader » 08 30, 2012 •  [Post 15]

Well WW I had tenderloin on the 28th. I killed a bull and my season is done. 9 yd shot and again at 40. I will stick to my comments early season is pretty lame with or without elk on the ground.
Coveyleader

Postby Fullabull » 08 31, 2012 •  [Post 16]

I hunt with my dad who is 73 so we can't go very far when hunting. This really limits our opportunity so if it's legal....it's in the freezer no matter what day of the hunt it is :)
Fullabull

First Name: Fred
Last Name: Talbot

Postby Bullnuts » 09 04, 2012 •  [Post 17]

We had a great early hunt, so I guess it depends a lot on what you value in the experience. I had my three sons with me, my brother and his son. It was a great week that went by entirely too fast. We saw a lot of elk, had a lot of opportunities, put elk in front of the youngsters and willed them to draw and shoot (of course they didn't, but their hearts could be pumping under their coats) ate too much of my own cooking, ended up giving the entire camp the trots, played horseshoes at camp and showed the boys how to set up snares for small game (didn't catch anything), stayed up late, got up early, walked all day, sweated and froze, and MAN! I want to go back before it's over!
Bullnuts

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 04, 2012 •  [Post 18]

Bullnuts, heck ya you wanna get back out there, life is short bud, I hope you can work another in!!! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Bullnuts » 09 04, 2012 •  [Post 19]

ElkNut1 wrote:Bullnuts, heck ya you wanna get back out there, life is short bud, I hope you can work another in!!! (grin)

ElkNut1

If I can figure out a way to put another trip together before the end of the month, you can bet I'll be headed back. I usually spend the first two weeks in the woods but this year I could only afford to leave work for 1 so I kinda feel gyped. I would love to take at least one of my kids back up with me, too. We'll see how it goes!
Bullnuts