Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Tree Stand Hunting & Salt'n For Elk

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Tree Stand Hunting & Salt'n For Elk

Postby geniusjohn3 » 06 10, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Preseaon we set out salt blocks for elk and put trail cams on them. Elk frequent them a lot but as hunting season draws near the visits start to because less and less. Someone told me once that bulls need more minerals during antler growth. Is that true? :?
test
geniusjohn3

Re: Tree Stand Hunting & Salt'n For Elk

Postby BobLooney » 06 10, 2012 •  [Post 2]

They start hitting minerals when their antlers start growing and up here will quit hitting after they rub velvet.
BobLooney

Postby SBH » 06 10, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I believe that's illegal here in MT. I may be wrong though?
SBH

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 10, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Yes, in some states it's illegal to salt the area you plan to hunt! But what is legal in some states is to put salt out before the season & set your trail cameras at these spots, this can help check out the clientèle. You just can't hunt them if salt is still there! Check your states regulations!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 06 10, 2012 •  [Post 5]

It's legal in Oregon, unless your bear or cougar hunting. So deer/elk are ok to shoot over bait but not bear/cougar. Interesting. :?
JohnFitzgerald

Postby dlaw1 » 06 11, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Yes, their bodies crave the salt during spring and into summer for a while. Thus causing a habit to goto that area you have put your salt block. It will be less and less after shedding their velvet but they have formed the habit and will end up there from time to time.
dlaw1

Postby Elkster » 06 11, 2012 •  [Post 7]

The reason they crave it during early spring and summer is because they need it to help digest the fresh green foliage (i.e., this is why both cows & bulls crave it this time of year). If you use a trace mineral blend, yes it does help w/antler growth. But, this isn't the primary reason they are attracted to salt this time of year.

ET
Elkster

Postby Elkster » 06 11, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Its legal in WA too for elk & deer.

ET
Elkster

Postby Swede » 06 18, 2012 •  [Post 9]

I have used salt and blocks of food. In fact my son and I put some out again last week. It is something to do and we set up a camera on the site. We place the salt, etc, at a water hole along a trail. Mostly we are just checking to see what the bulls in the area look like. It helps build excitement for the season. As far as attracting the bulls during the season, even though elk will occasionally stop and lick the salt, I have not found any significant value in any kind of bait.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics