Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Your choice!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Your choice!

Postby Lefty » 08 23, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Would you rather hunt more often with less elk action, or a shorter amout of hunt time in a more quality hunt?

For example: hunt near home for 10 -12 evenings and 5 full days
Or hunt quality hunting area for a total of 6-7 days
Is more time and days in the field more satifying or a shorter "quality hunt?

As an avid goose hunter I have gotten to the point I just want to spend time in the field , lots of short hunts with fair success. so far yhayt is not the case with my archey elk hunting passion
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Your choice!

Postby eltaco » 08 23, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Less time in a higher quality unit for me. I hunted 20 days last year, I think, and didn't harvest. Saw less elk last year than previous years and I'd much prefer to hunt just as hard but see more elk.

Don't get me wrong, I love the hunt either way, but more elk yields more opportunity but coming home successfully and early means a lot with a 1yr old son back home.

This year I have 19 days planned in the field. Even if I tag early I'll be spending the rest of the days hunting for family and friends.
eltaco

Postby hornart » 08 23, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Days in the field for me,,atleast if I have a tag I have a valid reason to be afield,,and we dont leave the family at home,,everyone goes
hornart

First Name: steve
Last Name: smith

Postby sockeye » 08 23, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Quality hunt over days in the field. Last year I was tagged out my only day I was able to hunt by 8am and was home by 9pm. Took me a while to pack out by myself. :)

Don't get me wrong I love the elk woods, but I am there to harvest an animal. This year I will spend 1 1/2 weeks in Montana then come home to Wyo. to hunt near the house with a friend for a week :D
sockeye

First Name: Clint
Last Name: Scott

Postby Vanish » 08 23, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Ooh, that's a tough one. Overall, I don't know which I would pick. I guess it would depend on how many less encounters we're talking about here.

Back in NY hunting whitetail, the last year I was there I spent every evening out in the field behind my house. I saw a ton of deer that year (mostly from a distance) compared to intensive weekend hunting the "good area" and had encounters with the largest buck I've ever seen while hunting. The second time I had him come by right in front of me kneeling in the open and misjudged the distance (used to shooting in the thick woods), shot right under him. I wish I could hunt in the evenings for elk like that!
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby easeup » 08 23, 2012 •  [Post 6]

I dont know Lefty. I would be willing to bet that after a few days of seeing to much bluesky and no birds, that ol' quality statement might seem a little better.

as such there are no other choices in your question, I am going with a quality hunt. I will punch my tag and feel fullfilled.
then steal in a few extra days beind someones backto just get away and be there so to speak.
easeup

Postby Lefty » 08 23, 2012 •  [Post 7]

easeup wrote:,,,,,,,,,, I would be willing to bet that after a few days of seeing to much bluesky and no birds, that ol' quality statement might seem a little better.,.......

I had that year last year with geese. I generally goose hunt 30-35 times a year and kill 55-90 geese. Last year I came home skinked over 20 times most of those days I didnt have much of an expectation of a limit. Would I rather have those 30 times hunting days and kill a third of normal seasons or have 10-12 good hunts!, Ill pick the 30 hunts and few birds
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Bullnuts » 08 23, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Work and other responsibilities await me when I get home every year so fewer days in a quality area are my choice. If I didn't have to work? Lots of days in a quality area! :lol:
Bullnuts

Postby planebow » 08 23, 2012 •  [Post 9]

I will take more time in the field, have 2 elk tags and a deer tag to fill. Will start the first week of Sept. and hope they are filled by the end of Nov.
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard