Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Are You Or Are You Not Ready For Elk Season?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 10, 2012 •  [Post 1]

For me, I'm basically there, a little more serious cardio style workout & I should be ready & raring to go! I generally have all my gear in my Pack so no real need to mess with that other than food & drink! It does take more physical training though as we get older! (grin) It's time to get real serious & dial my new Hoyt AM 32 (new to me) with the arrows I decide on, this is one of my favorite parts outside of tracking blood & packing meat!! How about you guys, let's hear it, 2-1/2 months & we're there!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Re: Are You Or Are You Not Ready For Elk Season?

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 06 10, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Jogging 1.5 in the morning and evening. New range finder and boots then I'll be ready!
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Calibowhunter » 06 10, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Nope, getting closer though.
:D
Calibowhunter

Postby bowhunterty » 06 10, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Starting to get in shape by walking with a pack and climbing the local hills. Plan on doing as much hiking this summer. Drew a Margeret bull tag in WA and can't wait. I'm ready but can never be to ready.
bowhunterty

First Name: Ty
Last Name: Reed

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 06 10, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Anybody got any low impact cardio workouts that they recommend?
JohnFitzgerald

Postby SBH » 06 10, 2012 •  [Post 6]

82 days and counting! You bet I'm ready. We've had 8 months since last season ended to prepare for this year's hunts. Can't wait!
SBH

Postby ctdad » 06 10, 2012 •  [Post 7]

JohnFitzgerald wrote:Anybody got any low impact cardio workouts that they recommend?

Ride a bike and swimming. I do both of these and they both help. I do some high impact cardio also, but these are as good as any imo.
ctdad

Postby elkohalic » 06 10, 2012 •  [Post 8]

My pack is ready , my bow in tune. I think I'm ready.!! I'm sure I will repack at least 10 more times tho LMAO!!
elkohalic

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Hoskins

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 06 10, 2012 •  [Post 9]

elkohalic wrote:My pack is ready , my bow in tune. I think I'm ready.!! I'm sure I will repack at least 10 more times tho LMAO!!

Finally, someone who I can relate with. Now I can tell my wife, "Ha Ha....See I'm not the only one. In your face." Side note, I'll need a place to sleep after that. Anyone have a spare room! 8-)
JohnFitzgerald

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 10, 2012 •  [Post 10]

1. Physical conditioning. Not in elk shape yet but I will be. Rucking 3 times per week this month, 30 lbs, for 1 1/2 to 2 miles. Will increase pack weight in two weeks and bump weekly hikes to 4 to 5 times per week and hike farther. By early SEPT, I'll be there with bells on.

2. Gear. 2012 is the first year in many that I'll do multiple backcountry (sleeping with the elk) hunts. One 3 or 4 day jaunt in WA state and then two 5 to 6 day adventures in Idaho. I've picked up the gear I need over the past 7 months thanks to an understanding wifey (and some bargain shopping). Just tweaking everything.

3. Archery proficiency. Starting to shoot a lot again after the long, wet WA winter. Getting back to knowing I will hit whatever I shoot at up to 50 yards.

4. Elk sounds.. Feeling pretty good about the sounds I can make and how to interact with the wapiti I encounter this fall. After an Elknut intervention mid 2011 (also thanks are due to an AT buddy, Slim9300 who made me watch Elknut's DVDs) I realized that, just perhaps, I have been doing quite a few things wrong with my elk language interaction. Holy beejeezus, what an eye opener!

5. Knowledge of areas to be hunted. WA state, no worries... I'll get into bulls :) Idaho is new business this year. A friend shared "area 1" with me. Have done a ton of map research and it looks pretty awesome. It's actually only 30 miles or so from where I hunted in Montana last year. "Area 2" is one my hunting buddy spent time in three years ago.. He had multiple bull fun almost every day. We'll come out of "area 1" after 5 or 6 days to resupply or head to "area 2".. I think I'm dialed.

Am I ready? Not quite but getting ready is half the fun, right? RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby drrandypepper » 06 10, 2012 •  [Post 11]

Always ready lol ! Just need to tune up my Cardio a bit! It's gonna be a good year!
drrandypepper

Postby Elktracker » 06 10, 2012 •  [Post 12]

Been logging for a while now and im in the best shape of my life so physically I wont have a problem running around in the hills all day! I have been busy scouting and am have got some nice bulls in velvet spotted out in multiple areas. Still waiting to see how they are going to shape up when there done growing bone but ill take whatever I can get. Mentally I am very ready!

Josh
Elktracker

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 10, 2012 •  [Post 13]

You guys got what it takes to be successful! Determination, persistence & a desire to succeed!! That's what it takes to bring elk into bowrange consistently!! At least that's part of it! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby elkchaser503 » 06 10, 2012 •  [Post 14]

I"m getting there.. down 15 lbs walking/running everday. i should be in good shape when opening morning hits
elkchaser503

Postby oilcan » 06 10, 2012 •  [Post 15]

Just got back from the gym but it's hard to get motivated i did not draw any Elk tags this year so i may have to wait till next September.
oilcan

Postby elkchaser503 » 06 10, 2012 •  [Post 16]

Oilcan,

what states did you put in for? What part of N. Cali are you from?

Mark
elkchaser503

Postby PREZ » 06 11, 2012 •  [Post 17]

Gettin there...Need more cardio. Every chance I get I pick up the bow. Need to get my butt moving more.
PREZ

First Name: Steve
Last Name: Preziosi

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 11, 2012 •  [Post 18]

Yep, working out can be tough to want to do at times! It seems we need to be self motivators if not working out with a partner! I just keep thinking of those bugling bulls just out of my reach & 800' higher than I am & I need to get to them high or hell water!! That there motivates me!!! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby elkohalic » 06 11, 2012 •  [Post 19]

JohnFitzgerald wrote:
elkohalic wrote:My pack is ready , my bow in tune. I think I'm ready.!! I'm sure I will repack at least 10 more times tho LMAO!!

Finally, someone who I can relate with. Now I can tell my wife, "Ha Ha....See I'm not the only one. In your face." Side note, I'll need a place to sleep after that. Anyone have a spare room! 8-)

I think there are a lot of us out there John. My elk hunting buddy does the same thing every year. He had surgery on both knees so I'll be going solo this year kinda, meeting my father out in Colorado this year. 13 hour drive for me and 2 hours from dad's house. Can't wait.
elkohalic

Postby sockeye » 06 11, 2012 •  [Post 20]

The Pack is ready, have all my arrows flying nicely, wife is already sick of my hunting stuff out (it's only June she says). Getting in better shape than normal hopeing to help my father in law pack out a huge bull this year, and I don't want to dissapoint by being weak and out of shape.
sockeye

First Name: Clint
Last Name: Scott

Postby bowpackerrob » 06 11, 2012 •  [Post 21]

5 miles a day running, weights every other day for an hour. But the altitude will still kick my butt for the first 3 days. BUT it can't get here soon enough!!
bowpackerrob

First Name: Robbie
Last Name: Crocker

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 06 11, 2012 •  [Post 22]

elkohalic wrote:
JohnFitzgerald wrote:

I think there are a lot of us out there John. My elk hunting buddy does the same thing every year. He had surgery on both knees so I'll be going solo this year kinda, meeting my father out in Colorado this year. 13 hour drive for me and 2 hours from dad's house. Can't wait.

Just hunting Colorado this year?
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Elksniper1 » 06 11, 2012 •  [Post 23]

Always ready. If season started tommorow I'd be way in the backcountry . But before that we got archery blacktails to chase
Elksniper1

Postby elkohalic » 06 11, 2012 •  [Post 24]

Colorado and Wyoming if time and a leftover license permits.
elkohalic

Postby Beekeeper » 06 11, 2012 •  [Post 25]

NOT...pulled my calf muscle 5 weeks ago. I thought it was good to go after 2 1/2 weeks and did a short low impact workout, it felt good. Then I pushed it a little and BANG...like someone smacked it with a hammer. Now I'm suffering. I'm laying low until the end of the month. Just doing upper body stuff. Not hunting Colorado until the last week of the season so I have some time for healing.
Beekeeper

Postby slim9300 » 06 11, 2012 •  [Post 26]

Good to go here.
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby iRem » 06 11, 2012 •  [Post 27]

Well, I just found out that I will be going under the knife to take care of a herniated disk in my lower back L4/L5. I am told that I will be able to move around in 2 weeks and be back to normal in about 2 months. So, I'm hoping that I'm back to 90% in 1 month and Elk ready in 2 months. I have a good core group of guys that I hunt with and I'm sure they will help pack out my elk this year as I always help call in their elk! I didn't get drawn for any thing this year so it's going to be a meat hunt this year, cow or spike!
iRem

Postby Calibowhunter » 06 11, 2012 •  [Post 28]

If you stay ready, you aint gotta get ready. Words to live by. ;)
Calibowhunter

Postby dotman » 06 11, 2012 •  [Post 29]

I'm always ready to go :) just if I went today I would be sucking in a little bit more air and take a little longer getting up the mountain then come Aug :)
dotman

Postby LckyTylr » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 30]

I'm ready to hunt, but not ready to backpack hunt like I want. I could hunt tomorrow if I wanted to hunt from my truck-camp as I have been the last 3 years, but I've decided I can't get far enough away from everyone else that way.

Gear: Need a new sleeping bag, jet boil, Mtn House meals and a new set of broadheads.

Conditioning: I'm still young and always active and in pretty good shape, but I'm only in Mountain shape at the end of September every year. This year I decided to jump on the band wagon and start earlier. I'm competing in the inaugural Ponderosa Pine Relay (12 person team - 194 miles from Weiser, ID to Cascade, ID) My 3 legs will be 9 miles, 3.5 miles and 4 miles. That's July 20th. After that, I'll be packing weight on scouting trips and running until the season begins. I'll be READY!!!!

Shooting proficiency: Ashamed to admit it, but that begins this weekend. Once I start, I'll shoot about 4 times a week and will be lethal out to 60, but my hunting limit is 40.

Mentally: NOTHING will stop me from downing a bull this season, it's GOING to happen!
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby Finlayson » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 31]

I'm not ready yet, but I'm working on it. A few pounds left to go and a bit more weight and distance to increase. Feels great going to the gym. Lift every other day for an hour at a time. Walk, bike, jog the same day as weights. Try to get 5 mi in on a walk, 15 on the bike and well the jog needs more work. Lost a good amount of weight so far. The hills keep getting longer or my age is catching up to me :o
Finlayson

Postby Les Welch » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 32]

I'm ready 24/7/365...no lie. I could load up in less than an hour and hit the road, at any time!
Les Welch

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 33]

Les, no fair! You're a Physical Trainer!!! (grin)

Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Les Welch » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 34]

ElkNut1 wrote:Les, no fair! You're a Physical Trainer!!! (grin)

Paul

I should add I mean not only physically, I mean mentally and equipment wise. I think about elk constantly, I daily look at my gear lists in Excel, study my gear at home, etc. At any time I could pull my list, pack my gear, load the truck and start driving... :)
Les Welch

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 35]

Les Welch wrote:
ElkNut1 wrote:Les, no fair! You're a Physical Trainer!!! (grin)

Paul

I should add I mean not only physically, I mean mentally and equipment wise. I think about elk constantly, I daily look at my gear lists in Excel, study my gear at home, etc. At any time I could pull my list, pack my gear, load the truck and start driving... :)

And.... you can only relax and go to sleep at night (during June through August) after you've put some additional thought into something to do with the fall elk season (gear, tactics, the scheduled time off, where you will hunt on day one/day two, alternate plan if somebody is in your area, plan on calling your partner and telling him to work on his close encounter screams/chuckles, etc., etc., etc., ).... Yep,I suffer from this also.. Best of luck this fall. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 36]

Rory, I hear ya partner!!!

Les, those are excellent thoughts! I take them for granted at times but my friend you speak the truth! I really like your preparation thoughts & how you have a check list to determine if you have all needed gear at a moments notice! Very cool!! All should read this & learn from it, myself included!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby PHELPS GAME CALLS » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 37]

I have been ready since last September!

I have been honing my physical conditioning, upgrading gear, shooting the bow to make sure that when the whole season boils down to one shot, I will make it happen.
PHELPS GAME CALLS
Site Sponsor

Postby elkfuler » 06 13, 2012 •  [Post 38]

mentally and physically good to go - turned 50 in March and am in better shape than ever - just need to really ramp up the target practice

will be hunting home state of WA again without any special permits :( but might venture into some unknown country for mule deer/elk combo hunt
elkfuler

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 13, 2012 •  [Post 39]

Good stuff guys! Bow howdy as we get older we sure do not want to let ourselves go! It's so much tougher to get control & back into shape, I find it a lot harder than when I was a pup at 35!! (grin)

ElKNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby fap1800 » 06 14, 2012 •  [Post 40]

I have a few more odds and ends to add to my gear list, but am about 95% "ready."
fap1800

Postby Swede » 06 17, 2012 •  [Post 41]

I believe I have a lot of patience when it comes to hunting, but I am also nervous. The closer we get to the season opener, the more nervous I get. I question my preparation often. Am I physically ready, or do I need to do more? Have I done all of my homework preparing for my hunt? Did I get it right? Is my equipment ready and up to what I have come to expect of it? I really am not sure until I am looking down on a dead elk.
Next week I am going back to my hunting area to "scout" it out. I have lived there. I have worked there, and I have hunted/scouted there for hundreds of days, but I will not take anything for granted. I will set out cameras, check them in late July or early August, and be back five days before the season opens. Heck yes I'm ready. I can't wait.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby T/H » 06 24, 2012 •  [Post 42]

i wont be ready until the sun rises on opening day for my hunt. until then i will be very tense and looking forward. i'm starting to get to where i have a hard time sleeping at night just thinking about it.
T/H

Postby Broken arrow » 06 24, 2012 •  [Post 43]

Physically yes!
Mentally yes!
Gear 95%
Financially :cry: might have to wait till 2013
Broken arrow